Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6,000+ miles of continental autopilot use….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Heavy moderator edits)

Just straight up dangerous… only time I feel safe enough to use it is in low traffic highways, bumper to bumper traffic (if you can handle rubber band).

As soon as I see moderate traffic, trucks approaching, or someone staying close to me behind I disengage cruise control.

Seriously how absurd is it that something as basic as cruise control is dangerous….. car companies can’t get basic adaptive cruise to work yet these idiots are touting full autonomous driving lmao.

Let me elaborate in details.

1. It’s reasoning abilities are literally 0…. It’s like they hired monkeys as programmers.

How hard is it to make the car stay left, right, center when the situation calls?

The only option is center which is straight up dangerous….

Can count a dozen+ times where I would of died.

Oversized loads stay center meaning the overhang will collide with your car.

When semi’s correct their truck in lane, usually the rear trailer kicks out and encroaches your lane and if you’re staying “center” you would get HIT….

Think of the worst beginner driver and autopilot reasoning abilities are below that…

A normal driver switches a lane over, a normal driver hugs the outside of their lane when vehicles get too close….

2. Phantom HARD breaking instant accident, even if a car is keeping distance going from 75 to 45 slamming on the brakes is a disaster.

I’ve turned off options like obstacle awareness ect doesn’t help.

When you are in the right lane and there is an off ramp sometimes it adjusts your max speed again 65 down to 35.

I’ve literally seen people slam on their breaks and almost smash into me, now I 99% just turn it off when someone is very close behind me or keep my foot on the gas pedal incase it decides to slam on the brakes.

3. Engagement Disengagement is utterly counterintuitive.

If I grab the steering wheel it should automatically disengage….

Not fight the steering wheel and jerk the car in a turn doing 65 with 2 trucks around you….

Also it conditions your brain that when your hands are on the wheel auto pilot is on….. I’ve had countless of times where I forgot I’m manually driving the car because I just have cruise control on.

Also messes with your mind when navigation is on since the line is blue and autopilots blue lines on the visualization…

Instead of having a big green sign on the screen that it’s engaged.

I’m probably missing half the things.

Literally all you had to do is use it for an hour to see these short comings and utter non sense implementation…

It’s like these guys are implementing these things in a lab without actual real world use.
Tesla will be massively successful especially with new model pick ups, trucks etc. but Elon Tusket needs to lay off the marketing.

Dude should literally be in jail for a few years for the countless accidents deaths he’s indirectly caused with his negligent words.

Where things currently stand this adaptive cruise auto pilot tech is literally worst than in infancy… even waymo with 10 stories of cameras and sensors runs people over….

Also going to be amazing watching auto pilot flying cars that Elon invested in literally fall out of the sky.

So literally auto pilot is useless, since majority of the time there are other drivers, trucks, and people behind you to trust these useless technology.

Wish there was an option for basic ass cruise control to rest my foot on long drives but nah stuck with this abomination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk I use it all the time and feel pretty safe while using it.

Proof
IMG_2095.jpeg

Just straight up dangerous… only time I feel safe enough to use it is in low traffic highways, bumper to bumper traffic (if you can handle rubber band)

As soon as I see moderate traffic, trucks approaching, or someone staying close to me behind I disengage cruise control.

Seriously how f****king absurd is it that something as basic as cruise control is dangerous….. car companies can’t get basic ass adaptive cruise to work yet these idiots are touting full autonomous driving lmao

Let me elaborate in details.

1. It’s reasoning abilities are literally 0…. It’s like they hired monkeys as programmers.

How hard is it to make the car stay left, right, center when the situation calls?

The only option is center which is straight up dangerous….

Can count a dozen+ times where I would of died

Oversized loads na stay center meaning the overhang will collide with your car.

When semi’s correct their truck in lane, usually the rear trailer kicks out and encroaches your lane and if you’re staying “center” you would get HIT….

Think of the worst beginner driver and autopilot reasoning abilities are below that…

A normal ****ing driver switches a lane over, a normal driver hugs the outside of their lane when vehicles get too close….

2. Phantom HARD breaking instant accident, even if a car is keeping distance going from 75 to 45 slamming on the brakes is a ****ing disaster.

I’ve turned off options like obstacle awareness ect doesn’t help.

When you are in the right lane and there is an off ramp sometimes it adjusts your max speed again 65 down to 35 GG

I’ve literally seen people slam on their breaks and almost smash into me, now I 99% just turn it off when someone is very close behind me or keep my foot on the gas pedal incase it decides to slam on the brakes.

3. Engagement Disengagement is utterly counterintuitive.

If I grab the steering wheel it should automatically disengage…. You know in case of emergency

Not ****ing fight the steering wheel and jerk the car in a turn doing 65 with 2 trucks around you….

Also it conditions your brain that when your hands are on the wheel auto pilot is on….. I’ve had countless of times where I forgot I’m manually driving the car because I just have cruise control on

Also messes with your mind when navigation is on since the line is blue and autopilots blue lines on the visualization…

Instead of having a big ass green sign on the screen that it’s engaged.

I’m probably missing half the things, but this literally feels like an aborted abomination.

Literally all you had to do is use it for an hour to see these short comings and utter non sense implementation…

It’s like these guys are implementing these things in a lab without actual real world use

Hey offshore dev guy in 3rd country with majority dirt roads, need you to add a new feature to auto pilot….

Tesla will be massively successful especially with new models pick ups, trucks ect but Elon Tusket needs to lay off the ****ing marketing

Dude should literally be in jail for a few years for the countless accidents deaths he’s indirectly caused with his negligent words.

Where things currently stand this adaptive cruise auto pilot tech is literally worst than in infancy… even waymo with 10 stories of cameras and sensors runs people over….

Also going to be amazing watching auto pilot flying cars that Elon invested in literally fall out of the sky.

So literally auto pilot is f****cking useless, since majority of the time there are other drivers, trucks, and people behind you to trust these useless technology.

Wish there was an option for basic ass cruise control to rest my foot on long drives but nah stuck with this abomination.
I bet you have never taken a taxi or an uber.

On a

On and off very specific situations it’s just annoying having to turn it on off so I avoid potentially life threatening issues
Everyone’s point is: you list a number of concerns (some more emphatically) that we and many others either deal with fine, or don’t experience at all. Most are rooted in false expectations which the rest of us don’t struggle with. We still use it (for many more than 6000+ miles) and we still haven’t experienced nor seen the torrent of fatal accidents many predicted. So you may need to change your expectations, which would change your experience. Start by going through what Tesla says about it, how to use it, etc. (and not just skimming the fine print) and then go through the many hours to choose from videos of those that don’t just have zero-disengagement drives (including those posted here). These are real customers using FSDb and NoAP just fine.

If after all that you’re still so worked up about it, it’s pretty clear you’re not the right customer to beta test these. That’s fine. Just remember plenty of others are and have had no accidents and it isn’t for everybody, hence Tesla hasn’t forced it on anyone. My wife loves driving manually. She’s gotten used to my FSDb testing (which is almost every drive for the whole way including disengaging-reporting-reengaging), but she only engages AP (now FSDb in both cars) during longer road trips. And she’s fine.

Everyone’s point is: you list a number of concerns (some more emphatically) that we and many others either deal with fine, or don’t experience at all. Most are rooted in false expectations which the rest of us don’t struggle with. We still use it (for many more than 6000+ miles) and we still haven’t experienced nor seen the torrent of fatal accidents many predicted. So you may need to change your expectations, which would change your experience. Start by going through what Tesla says about it, how to use it, etc. (and not just skimming the fine print) and then go through the many hours to choose from videos of those that don’t just have zero-disengagement drives (including those posted here). These are real customers using FSDb and NoAP just fine.

If after all that you’re still so worked up about it, it’s pretty clear you’re not the right customer to beta test these. That’s fine. Just remember plenty of others are and have had no accidents and it isn’t for everybody, hence Tesla hasn’t forced it on anyone. My wife loves driving manually. She’s gotten used to my FSDb testing (which is almost every drive for the whole way including disengaging-reporting-reengaging), but she only engages AP (now FSDb in both cars) during longer road trips. And she’s fine.
Isn’t for everybody? What are you even trying to argue at this point?

I’ve counted over a dozen times where a truck would of entered my lane while passing me and the trailer would of smashed into me if auto pilot kept doing its thing

THATS A FACT not some theory, it just stays center in lane the sensors turn red and it doesn’t move, if anything merged into your lane from the side it will just smack into you.

System is unsafe if you’re not constantly monitoring your surroundings and increases your risk for having an accident when engaged.

It’s not just tesla all of these other manufacturers have shitty systems more or less, where relying on any of it increases your chances of having a catastrophic accident.

Only time it helps is low speed high traffic situations

and I’m not talking about Beta Full Self Driving.

I’m using the standard basic auto pilot which to my understanding isn’t a beta product, it’s glorified adaptive cruise which might as well be labeled BETA with the non sense it does.

Isn’t for everybody? What are you even trying to argue at this point?

I’ve counted over a dozen times where a truck would of entered my lane while passing me and the trailer would of smashed into me if auto pilot kept doing its thing

THATS A FACT not some theory, it just stays center in lane the sensors turn red and it doesn’t move, if anything merged into your lane from the side it will just smack into you.

System is unsafe if you’re not constantly monitoring your surroundings and increases your risk for having an accident when engaged.

It’s not just tesla all of these other manufacturers have shitty systems more or less, where relying on any of it increases your chances of having a catastrophic accident.

Only time it helps is low speed high traffic situations

and I’m not talking about Beta Full Self Driving.

I’m using the standard basic auto pilot which to my understanding isn’t a beta product, it’s glorified adaptive cruise which might as well be labeled BETA with the non sense it does.
Production AP (i.e. - Autosteer + TACC) is still officially in beta, but that doesn’t change anything. Again, if you read what Tesla says about it then you would better understand the risks. The problem with descriptions like yours is that too many of us experience otherwise. I can’t remember or count the number of times a truck trailer would have smashed into me. First of all, how often are trucks cutting you off so closely? Were truck drivers constantly doing this before you started using AP like in previous cars? This doesn’t seem like it should be occurring that often. Secondly, AP reliably slowed down in such a case for me unless my foot is on the accelerator (thereby overriding TACC). I, for one data point, have been driving the last 30,000 miles on FSDb (including 2 cross country drives). And for the 40,000 miles before that, we have been driving on basic AP & NoAP (Including 1 cross country drive).

I’ve used included AP, FSD Capability package (NoAP), and FSDb. All clearly state they require constant monitoring of your surroundings. These are also all facts which don’t line up with your facts. Hence, it’s hard to believe it‘s as dangerous as you emphatically declare as fact. Maybe your car should get checked out for issues? It’s hard to convince others that experience otherwise (facts). And so yes as a matter of fact, it’s not for everybody. It’s for those that don’t have your issues, understand and accept the risks, and how to mitigate them.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
A
Production AP (i.e. - Autosteer + TACC) is still officially in beta, but that doesn’t change anything. Again, if you read what Tesla says about it then you would better understand the risks. The problem with descriptions like yours is that too many of us experience otherwise. I can’t remember or count the number of times a truck trailer would have smashed into me. First of all, how often are trucks cutting you off so closely? Were truck drivers constantly doing this before you started using AP like in previous cars? This doesn’t seem like it should be occurring that often. Secondly, AP reliably slowed down in such a case for me unless my foot is on the accelerator (thereby overriding TACC). I, for one data point, have been driving the last 30,000 miles on FSDb (including 2 cross country drives). And for the 40,000 miles before that, we have been driving on basic AP & NoAP (Including 1 cross country drive).

I’ve used included AP, FSD Capability package (NoAP), and FSDb. All clearly state they require constant monitoring of your surroundings. These are also all facts which don’t line up with your facts. Hence, it’s hard to believe it‘s as dangerous as you emphatically declare as fact. Maybe your car should get checked out for issues? It’s hard to convince others that experience otherwise (facts). And so yes as a matter of fact, it’s not for everybody. It’s for those that don’t have your issues, understand and accept the risks, and how to mitigate them.
Ahhh right you experience otherwise so therefore no risks even though you just said understand the risks.

Gotcha since you bought a Tesla trucks stopped swerving into lanes which is a daily occurrence.

And if it swerves while beside you auto pilot is too dumb to do anything besides stay center lol

But don’t worry let’s only take your magical non existent experience over all others reporting similar issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
A

Ahhh right you experience otherwise so therefore no risks even though you just said understand the risks.

Gotcha since you bought a Tesla trucks stopped swerving into lanes which is a daily occurrence.

And if it swerves while beside you auto pilot is too dumb to do anything besides stay center lol

But don’t worry let’s only take your magical non existent experience over all others reporting similar issues.
And to end your non sensical I love Elon responses.

What would auto pilot do if a car or truck next to me merges into me?

NEXT TO ME not cut me off….

I’ll await your answer once you consult with your literature and some sort of approved daddy Elon type

to further summarize before this is even downplayed or considered ready for anything meaningful

1. Cruise control
+ Phantom braking
+ unsmooth breaking accelerating
+ Dropping speed by picking up speed from off ramps

2. Auto steer

0 360 intelligence…

3. Auto steer disengage by steering wheel

It’s too hard to fight and disengage, sometimes you need to take control of the wheel and speed up not always slamming on the brakes.

Until it uses its sensors to move your vehicle in lane, into another lane, speed you up incase someone is about to rear end you. It’s basically glorified lane assist.

And until all these issues short comings are addressed people should stop downplaying the risks as it’s actual people lives at stake.

Everywhere you go people have the impression it’s some magic system that flies

Yes it isn't great, but highway autopilot is decent. I would say it is a bit delayed to react, and I HATE when I am in the middle lane with a truck on my right, it hugs the left WAY to much, and makes me look like I'm a moron to everyone passing me in the left lane. But overall, it's alright.

I would honestly suggest you turn it off if it bothers you this much. For example, I now rarely use FSD because I think it is total crap. I turn it on every new release and test it, and quickly realize it hasn't gotten much better so I turn it off before I lose my mind (metaphorically, and maybe literally).

Turn it off and live a more peaceful life!

Such divisiveness. The OP has concerns that many, many other posters have talked about/shared. These software systems aren't perfect. I don't use AP unless, as the OP suggested, there is light highway traffic. It drives my better half crazy when I use it. I suggest that folks should believe/respect some of these complaints - they're real. My M3, which I really like, does drift toward the center line on a curve and is scary. Things can be improved - sometimes the software seems amazing but at other times, I agree with the OP and wonder who in the world is making these software control choices.

Yes it isn't great, but highway autopilot is decent. I would say it is a bit delayed to react, and I HATE when I am in the middle lane with a truck on my right, it hugs the left WAY to much, and makes me look like I'm a moron to everyone passing me in the left lane. But overall, it's alright.

I would honestly suggest you turn it off if it bothers you this much. For example, I now rarely use FSD because I think it is total crap. I turn it on every new release and test it, and quickly realize it hasn't gotten much better so I turn it off before I lose my mind (metaphorically, and maybe literally).

Turn it off and live a more peaceful life!
I agree - decent but not great. Mr. Musk is brilliant but an idiot - I can't imagine any other company this size that has a leader that regularly lies about a product (Level 4/5 by the end of this year) and doesn't get the boot or the company isn't sued by shareholders. There is room for improvement.

Reactions: AS9.9.
And to end your non sensical I love Elon responses.

What would auto pilot do if a car or truck next to me merges into me?

NEXT TO ME not cut me off….

I’ll await your answer once you consult with your literature and some sort of approved daddy Elon type
Okay. When you have to start defending yourself against what you’re not saying, then you know they’re no longer listening well.