Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6,000+ miles of continental autopilot use….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is actually highly intelligent when it comes to lane placement, unlike many drivers. The correct location to be in the lane, any lane, is the center. If you are passing or are passed by a large truck, the car (if there is nothing in the adjacent lane, WILL move over

Phantom braking does occur in the Tesla as well as other cars. It is more shocking than anything else and if someone is following closely enough that an accident occurs, then they are following too closely, illegaly.

All it takes is a slight pressure to turn off FSD using the steering wheel. Or a very light brake tap. Or just click up on the right stalk.

And why are you trying to disable FSD when there are trucks on each side of you? Honestly, in this situation, I'd trust the car much more than you, the car will react MUCH quicker.

And FYI, if a truck swerves into your lane, the car will slow and swerve as needed.
Will it also move over in the lane like say hug right or left?

When I’m in lane and I see the sensors light up red it just stays center still doesn’t move in the lane…

Also I don’t have full self driving just basic auto pilot. Does basic auto pilot have the same feature?

I’m on update from 2023.12.9

I can deal with trucks and stuff by just disengaging, but the phantom braking is just brutal.

Reading might be caused by high heat areas will try to pay attention now that I’m in much cooler areas.

Driving in the desert 105-107 degrees it did it 3 times today dropping from 85 to like 45!!

But I followed my guidelines of engaging with people far behind luckily there was basically no one around.

The phantom braking is the biggest deal breaker right now, as it causes you to be uncomfortable such as having hand near stalk, foot near brake or gas pedal.

The problem is a lot of people tailgate and get super close, even 1 - 2 car distance isn’t enough for slamming on the brakes full speed….

Also what is the cause of phantom braking when I look at the visualization screen I don’t see anything like why is it just braking randomly without anything showing up on the screen?

Will it also move over in the lane like say hug right or left?

When I’m in lane and I see the sensors light up red it just stays center still doesn’t move in the lane…

Also I don’t have full self driving just basic auto pilot. Does basic auto pilot have the same feature?

I’m on update from 2023.12.9
It does what I say, there is no option to get the car to act badly and hug the left or the right.

I can deal with trucks and stuff by just disengaging, but the phantom braking is just brutal.

Reading might be caused by high heat areas will try to pay attention now that I’m in much cooler areas.

Driving in the desert 105-107 degrees it did it 3 times today dropping from 85 to like 45!!

But I followed my guidelines of engaging with people far behind luckily there was basically no one around.

The phantom braking is the biggest deal breaker right now, as it causes you to be uncomfortable such as having hand near stalk, foot near brake or gas pedal.

The problem is a lot of people tailgate and get super close, even 1 - 2 car distance isn’t enough for slamming on the brakes full speed….

Also what is the cause of phantom braking when I look at the visualization screen I don’t see anything like why is it just braking randomly without anything showing up on the screen?

Point is, you don't have to disengage for the trucks.

Hand near stalk or foot near accelerator is indeed a position that you do want to be in, because this is Beta and you must be paying attention.

When phantom braking occurs, it is mostly a problem because it is not anticipated. If left to its own, it slows down less than people think that it does.

Lastly I have a 2021 M3 I was reading things with sensors radar being disabled and only using cameras.

I read about someone else having their sensors ect disabled and auto pilot does absolutely nothing in lane anymore besides stay center.

i always see trucks in my visualization keep going in and out of my lane so that should theoretically trigger something.

But even if it ignores the visualization glitches, like I said I have radar show yellow red and it does absolutely nothing but just stay center

Lastly I have a 2021 M3 I was reading things with sensors radar being disabled and only using cameras.

I read about someone else having their sensors ect disabled and auto pilot does absolutely nothing in lane anymore besides stay center.

i always see trucks in my visualization keep going in and out of my lane so that should theoretically trigger something.

But even if it ignores the visualization glitches, like I said I have radar show yellow red and it does absolutely nothing but just stay center
Trucks are not all bad, and just because one in front of you moves into your lane, doesn't mean that the car needs to do anything.

If you are on a software release from this year, your radar and USS are already disabled.

I dare say that you may have never experienced the car moving away from a truck, mainly because you don't trust the car enough to even try. It's like a teenage driver, sometimes you just have to put a little trust in them to see just what they can do.

Yes, it does. I have FSD.

No, I haven't seen it move to the opposite lane, although I suspect that if the truck keeps pushing enough, it may.
The vehicle hugs the left side of the lane when passing a truck to it's right. Once it completes the pass, it moves back into the center of the lane.

Never had a truck cut me off or veer into my lane. However, I've had other vehicles cut me off or veer into my lane and the vehicle does whatever it needs to avoid contact. Including moving into a different lane, slowing down, and breaking enough to allow the other vehicle in front, or a hard brake.

I used to take over, but now, even when I see it coming, I just let the car handle it while my wife freaks out next to me 😅

Reactions: ewoodrick
I did a short freeway test yesterday morning in heavy traffic on south bound 405 with Beta 11.4.4. The car moved slightly to the left on passing big trucks. On one occasion a truck touched the left marker and my car slowed down quite a bit.

And this is a good place to mention. It takes a little effort to get used to the car driving. And it often requires some quick reflexes that many people don't have to sometimes learn what the car will and won't do.
My wife has been truck shy most of her life. She'll tend to either stay behind a truck or speed up to 90mph and pass it. She doesn't like to be next to one. But over the years, both we me griping at her and her watching my driving near them, she has gotten much better.
I don't make a big deal if I'm next to a truck, except to not ride in their blind spots (always be able to see the driver's face). So I'd pass them, they'd pass me, just like any other two vehicles on the roads.
A few months ago I was on the Interstate and noticed the car doing something a little different, it startled me at first, but I let it do it. (this is NOT something my wife would have done, she'd aborted) And cool!, the car had just moved over for the truck. we cleared each other and the car moved back. I knew that previous to this, if another vehicle would swerve to the car, the car would move, it's been doing that for a long time, but this was new.

I think that I've mentioned the story about the biker in this thread. It happened to me, I though that I'd see what the car would didn't worry too much, because it was a mail vehicle stopped at a mailbox (the car is going to see and stop for a stopped vehicle). Indeed the car did it right, even though it had to wait for a stop or two to get clearance to pass.. Days later, had a bike was in my lane, seeing success with the mail truck, I thought that I'd see what the car would do. No one was around (except the bike) and I knew that I could always override the car, but didn't have to.

If your reaction times are slow, driving with FSD is going to be hard, because to safely drive, you will probably have to override FSD before it has a chance to even try. I really wish that the car would have a learn mode in which it does things obnoxiously early, just so that people can learn to trust it.

There are very few things that the car doesn't handle correctly today. My biggest issue is when the car tries to take turns that it shouldn't be. That's often probably because of road segment issues, but it is an issue. The car just shouldn't be turning with no destination entered, but yet it does.

Reactions: JB47394
I mean when a truck comes along side and gets to close does it move over in its own lane? Or will only move to the opposite lane if available?

Lastly is this for Full self driving or basic auto pilot also
Tesla fsdb will hug the lane line when a truck is in the next lane… stays as far away as possible within its lane

Trucks are not all bad, and just because one in front of you moves into your lane, doesn't mean that the car needs to do anything.

If you are on a software release from this year, your radar and USS are already disabled.

I dare say that you may have never experienced the car moving away from a truck, mainly because you don't trust the car enough to even try. It's like a teenage driver, sometimes you just have to put a little trust in them to see just what they can do.
I’ve tried many times cars have gotten extremely close and it just stays there. Just updated to 11.1 today last time I updated was in May.

Also does basic auto pilot behave the same or is this only a full self driving thing?

Tesla fsdb will hug the lane line when a truck is in the next lane… stays as far away as possible within its lane
Yes. It also will often do this with a cars pulling trailers. It started in FSDb 11.3.6 and was a bit abrupt. 11.4.4 has smoothed this out a bit so you don't feel as much lateral jerk.

As far as I know, basic autopilot does NOT adjust for large vehicles in adjacent lanes.

Reactions: enemji
Yes. It also will often do this with a cars pulling trailers. It started in FSDb 11.3.6 and was a bit abrupt. 11.4.4 has smoothed this out a bit so you don't feel as much lateral jerk.

As far as I know, basic autopilot does NOT adjust for large vehicles in adjacent lanes.
That’s explains everything then as I have basic auto pilot lol, I’m like why is the car trying to murder me.