Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper controls are the worst about a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s getting an upgrade. Two days ago on Twitter in response to a request that it be fixed or at least allow one to turn it off while on AP (tweet includes a video of the wipers on auto banging away on a dry day), Musk said, “Sorry, this is one of the last neural nets to be upgraded to surround video (from single camera, single frame)”

My complain is "auto" mode not working correctly sometimes. It could come up under good weather with clean windshield glass(so I have to disable it manually sometimes, but Auto Pilot requires it on), or sometimes it is not fast enough or reacts too slow. After reading somewhere, it's a well-known and consistent problem for many Teslas over the years. The reason behind it is, Tesla does not use any rain sensor, instead it totally depends on image(from camera) processing to determine raining or not, and how hard it is if it rains. Obviously, it has some software bugs in this image processing algorithm if this is true, and I am surprised that Tesla hasn't fixed it for many years.

It is incredible that 10 years after I purchased my first Tesla vehicle, the wipers are working so poorly. Back then, the car had a simple rain sensor and it worked great. It almost always got the speed and intervals right. But equally important, it was very easy to manually override and get the setting you wanted. AI fanboys at the company thought, 'if it ain't broke, lets fix it with AI'. Now they are just terrible. I don't even get it.

The only cure I found is using the EA S3XY buttons to control the wipers manually. I set up a button that sets the speed manually. I placed the button on the back side of my steering wheel where my finger tips naturally are. Works great.

It is incredible that 10 years after I purchased my first Tesla vehicle, the wipers are working so poorly. Back then, the car had a simple rain sensor and it worked great. It almost always got the speed and intervals right. But equally important, it was very easy to manually override and get the setting you wanted. AI fanboys at the company thought, 'if it ain't broke, lets fix it with AI'. Now they are just terrible. I don't even get it.

The only cure I found is using the EA S3XY buttons to control the wipers manually. I set up a button that sets the speed manually. I placed the button on the back side of my steering wheel where my finger tips naturally are. Works great.

you can use the scroll wheel

The problem is then REMEMBERING how to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob Vega
For the past few weeks the wipers on our ‘21 Y, when on auto, will randomly wipe once in dry weather. It at least happens during the day, sunny or overcast, and maybe at night (can’t recall exactly). A single wipe every five or ten minutes (the timing varies a lot). I think this started with 2024.2 (on 2024.2.7 currently). Definitely a step backwards.

The scroll wheel does not enable any slower speed, it simply lets you pick among the options that are all too fast.

There's a long story on the patent for intermittent wipers..maybe Tesla wants to avoid this fiasco.

In this David vs. Goliath drama based on a true story, college professor Robert Kearns (Greg Kinnear) goes up against the giants of the auto industry when they fail to give him credit for inventing intermittent windshield wipers. Kearns doggedly pursues recognition for his invention, as well as the much-deserved financial rewards

Full Self Wiping is such a joke.

Embarrassing to have such a comically bad “why would you ever need controls? Input is error!” auto setting combined with the worst physical controls in the industry by a country mile.

My wife flatly refuses to have a Tesla for “her” car, for a few reasons, but this one is near the top of the list. Hot steamy garbage.

Reactions: David99

Embarrassing to have such a comically bad “why would you ever need controls? Input is error!” auto setting combined with the worst physical controls in the industry by a country mile.

My wife flatly refuses to have a Tesla for “her” car, for a few reasons, but this one is near the top of the list. Hot steamy garbage.
Sounds like a Tesla definitely isn't the car for her.

The wipers are 1000% the worst part of my Tesla experience. I spend a distracting amount of energy trying to let the "Auto" Function work while hitting the wipe once button to try to train the AI to wipe more often.

At least half of the time I get annoyed and simply choose a wipe setting until I hear it start to wipe on dry glass.

Seriously this is an embarrassment how bad it is!!

I do appreciate and use the scroll wheel trick, and love the fact that Tesla is starting to use context-sensitive commands like that. I just wish I could leave it in auto and be satisfied. I don't think I am asking too much for rain-sensitive wipers that are safely working.