Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you trade up to "D"?

Will you be trading in for "D"?

• No, I'm happy right now

Votes: 160 56.1%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a 60D (near future)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a 85D (near future)

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a P85D (near future)

Votes: 40 14.0%
  • Maybe after they start delivering them (7+ months)

Votes: 52 18.2%
  • I'm trading up for autopilot now! (Near future)

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tempting, but I think I will wait for the fully autonomous (capable) P110Q. I threw in the word "capable" because I am sure Tesla will be there long before regulations allow it.

Tesla is often called more of a tech company than a car company, so it stands to reason that they will follow their dual core with a quad core. I wouldn't expect a quad motor system to add much to acceleration, but it could provide significant handling improvements, particularly if coupled with 4 wheel steering. Imagine a system that can rotate the wheels a different speeds or even different directions at low speed. Anyone ready to turn on a dime? The control system would be challenging, but Tesla programmers are better equipped to handle that then anyone else. Four motors could also improve heat dissipation, (another allusion to microprocessors).

That being said, if, God forbid, something happens to my baby before then, I know what I would order...

Well, I'm a bit of a new tech nut, and the trade-up hit didn't turn out to be as bad as I figured it would be. So yeah, my order is in for a December P85D.

I highly doubt we see a large boost in battery capacity in the near future (< 3 years), so, I'm not worried about an improved battery causing buyer's remorse in the short term.

I will certainly be disappointed if the demoed autopilot features are not available by say, Q3 2015, however. This is probably the biggest selling point to me, honestly, and is well advertised, so if they reneg on that promise (even if it is a bit more than the "several months" promised) I will lose quite a bit of faith in Tesla and would likely not be buying into future models...

For those that are freaking out about what to do with their old vehicle, it sounds like you might be a good voice of calmness. What is your current plan for 03278?

I plan on seeing what Tesla offers and compare that to recent sales on Ebay. If it's too far off then I'd consider selling it private party, but selling it quick and easy to Tesla has a great deal of appeal.

Alternatively, I might hold on to it until our Model X arrives mid next year and let my wife drive it until then. She is so ready to be done with gas. It's such a pain going to a gas station every week.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm a bit of a new tech nut, and the trade-up hit didn't turn out to be as bad as I figured it would be. So yeah, my order is in for a December P85D.

Was that trade-up a quote from Tesla?

I'm going to upgrade. I may change my mind tomorrow, or in 5 minutes. However, at this time I think I'll wait until my wife is driving her Model X and all of that dust settles. I want the All Wheel Drive. The speed and acceleration has very little meaning to me. I definitely want the new seats as well. I want them in Tan leather just like my current P85 and right now the design studio wont let me choose anything but black.

Last edited:
Was that trade-up a quote from Tesla?

Yes, but as I understand the trade-in market in general quite well, I won't be posting an exact figure as your mileage may vary, but Tesla's quote was more than satisfactory.

A good thing about the trade-in setup is that any time between now and delivery I could sell privately without any issues on my new order... but I honestly don't even expect to get enough more to make being without the car for X period of time worthwhile.

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely want the new seats as well. I want them in Tan leather just like my current P85 and right now the design studio wont let me choose anything but black.

When I ordered I was told I would be contacted in "a couple of weeks" to make a final decision on the seat configuration, at no additional cost.

I am so so tempted...planning to discuss trade-in value of my Sig628 (~65k miles) w/ sales, but they didn't meet one of my criteria which would have forced my hand.

I want a P85D w/ more range - my 200 mile commute is a killer...plus my wife may kill me.

Yes, but as I understand the trade-in market in general quite well, I won't be posting an exact figure as your mileage may vary, but Tesla's quote was more than satisfactory.

A good thing about the trade-in setup is that any time between now and delivery I could sell privately without any issues on my new order... but I honestly don't even expect to get enough more to make being without the car for X period of time worthwhile.

- - - Updated - - -

When I ordered I was told I would be contacted in "a couple of weeks" to make a final decision on the seat configuration, at no additional cost.

Did they give you an idea of the logistics of the trade in. Like you can keep your existing car until yours is ready and process everything the day you pick it up?

How long did it take them to give you a quote? Did you just fill out the request in their website? Also is your car going back to Tesla or do you have to use Autonation?

I was contacted by the manager of the nearest showroom last night via email to thank me for my P85D order and ask if I had any questions, including trade-in.

They confirmed that Tesla is doing trade-ins on Model S directly, not through Autonation.

Getting a quote is simple. They just ask for some exterior and interior photos, a few questions on condition, and whether you want to trade in now or December.

I sent back the info this afternoon. We'll see what they say!

- - - Updated - - -

Did they give you an idea of the logistics of the trade in. Like you can keep your existing car until yours is ready and process everything the day you pick it up?
Yep. Or you can trade it in now, presumably for a few more dollars.

How long did it take them to give you a quote? Did you just fill out the request in their website?
Email. A few photos and answers. Just sent mine in. We'll see how long it takes.

Also is your car going back to Tesla or do you have to use Autonation?
It's going back to Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate that window between when you get a trade-in quote and when you actually turn it in - feel like there is a target on the car. :)

That's what insurance is for. :)

How long did it take them to give you a quote? Did you just fill out the request in their website? Also is your car going back to Tesla or do you have to use Autonation?

I called and talked to a gentlemen I had been working with at the store and did all of the details through him.

The trade in is an estimate now, keep the car until delivery, a final value placed on it at that time, and just leave the trade in, drive off in the P85D. In the mean time I'm free to do a private sale if I feel the need and not do the trade in (paying the full price for the new one instead). The trade goes directly through Tesla, not Autonation.

I was told that my car would be bidded on by third parties to get the highest trade in value. This is as of Friday afternoon talking with a Tesla Trade In employee that contacted me after I submitted a request for value from the TM site. He got all my information and info on the far, what options etc... and condition, and said he would have 3-4 bids for me Monday....

I was told that my car would be bidded on by third parties to get the highest trade in value. This is as of Friday afternoon talking with a Tesla Trade In employee that contacted me after I submitted a request for value from the TM site. He got all my information and info on the far, what options etc... and condition, and said he would have 3-4 bids for me Monday....

Considering the amount of miles you have on yours, it will be real interesting to hear what kind of offer you get.

Good God, $14,000 so I can get to 60 MPH, .7 of a second quicker . I think I will just leave the house a few seconds sooner. Love my Plano 85.

You have any idea what sports car manufacturers go through to get their cars to go from, say 4.2 sec 0-60 to 3.2 sec? It rarely happens. I had a 2007 Aston Martin that did 4.9 and 7 years later with all their weight savings, modifications, and improvements that time is down to 4.7. The same is true for most companies. Fractions of a second will cost you big time, the P85D is the best value money can buy in a performance and car and family sedan IMO.

I voted NO. I'm not interested in AWD or automatic lane changing and I have way more acceleration now than I need. If I had automatic lane changing I would probably disable it. The only thing I miss is adaptive cruise control which my other car has.

I voted No because I still love my MS60 as it is still as fresh as the day I bought it, to me anyway. I stretched to get what I have and the day I ordered my car, I knew I would have to stick with it for at least until it is paid off. That said, I am drooling at the thought getting an S85D super-cruzer. Hopefully by the time I can re-order a new car, a larger battery pack will be available as well.

I'm keeping mine, but wish I would have known about D. (Like many here) Heres what different than many situations, I got my fully loaded S85 in June and asked MULTIPLE times about AWD to DS and to Tesla HQ and was told they would NOT put one out before the model X had AWD. So not wanting to wait 2 years, I bought. 3 months later... Voila they DO have AWD. I was quoted at $70k for trade in today which I feel is low through Tesla. That means $23,000 less than I just paid for it. About $16,000 with tax credit.

If I do go with another Tesla ever it will not be until the battery pack is at least a 110kw. THIS TIME I will trust my own ears and eyes and not upgrade because the D 110 will likely come out far sooner than they will lead on. If they were honest, they'd possibly lose interim business with those who believe the 85kw is it for a couple years. My BET is it will be out well before the model E / 3 to show a bigger mpg between their costly luxury model and the E. Mark my words and wait IF you care about range increase !

I'm keeping mine, but wish I would have known about D. (Like many here) Heres what different than many situations, I got my fully loaded S85 in June and asked MULTIPLE times about AWD to DS and to Tesla HQ and was told they would NOT put one out before the model X had AWD. So not wanting to wait 2 years, I bought. 3 months later... Voila they DO have AWD. I was quoted at $70k for trade in today which I feel is low through Tesla. That means $23,000 less than I just paid for it. About $16,000 with tax credit.

If I do go with another Tesla ever it will not be until the battery pack is at least a 110kw. THIS TIME I will trust my own ears and eyes and not upgrade because the D 110 will likely come out far sooner than they will lead on. If they were honest, they'd possibly lose interim business with those who believe the 85kw is it for a couple years. My BET is it will be out well before the model E / 3 to show a bigger mpg between their costly luxury model and the E. Mark my words and wait IF you care about range increase !

You are better off getting your rumor thirst filled from this board. The service centers know less than we do. Last week when I was in for service I talked with their service team and they said they always get phone calls from owners that follow every detail about Tesla asking about software and hardware before they even know about it.

It has been widely speculated on TMC for the last 6-9 months that Tesla was going to release an AWD Model S before the X entered mass production.

The ACC and blind spot was slipped by Tesla in a software update by including the pages in the users manual.

Because of TMC I am not expecting a battery capacity increase for at least a year (probably 2). It's possible that it will happen when the X is revealed but I doubt it. It likely won't happen until the gigafactory is coming online.