Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Buildup Superchargers to Accommodate Anticipated Demand from Ford, GM, Rivian, and whoever else, Adopting NACS circa 2024/2025?

Will Tesla Be Able to Match Supply with Demand in terms of Superchargers in 2024/2025?

• NOPE → Tesla will not be able to meet demand and the SC network buildout will continue as normal.

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • NOPE → Tesla will not be able to meet demand even if they accelerate the SC network buildout.

Votes: 36 7.8%
  • SKEPTICAL → Tesla may be able to meet demand and the SC network buildout will continue as normal.

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • SKEPTICAL → Tesla may be able to meet demand but requires accelerating the SC network buildout.

Votes: 85 18.4%
  • OPTIMISTIC → Good chance Tesla will be able to meet demand with the normal SC network buildout.

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • OPTIMISTIC → Good chance Tesla will be able to meet demand but requires accelerating SCs buildouts.

Votes: 108 23.4%
  • YUP → Tesla will meet demand without needing to accelerate building out the SC network.

Votes: 30 6.5%
  • YUP →Tesla will meet demand but requires them accelerating the buildout of the SC network.

Votes: 94 20.3%
  • Nope, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skeptical, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Optimistic, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yup, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think not only building up the amount of chargers but also the adapters being long enough for the placement of each manufacturer’s charging point, that is equally as important in my opinion.

Good point.
Since Tesla has a standard charger location and cable length, It should be easy for each manufacturer to develop an adapter that takes the Tesla connector to wherever the charging inlet is on any particular vehicle.
Of course, with some EVs, that may require a fairly long, heavy, cable.

Reactions: levyharaivan
I wonder if Ford, GM and the others will move their charge ports to support left-rear or front-right by 2025 when they say they will have NACS ports. The short charging cables of the Superchargers are one of the best features. No cables laying all over and getting run over.
Perhaps one aspect of getting licensed to use the supercharger network is a requirement for where the ports can be located on the car?

Perhaps one aspect of getting licensed to use the supercharger network is a requirement for where the ports can be located on the car?
The V4 superchargers have cables that are three feet longer, partly for the CT. The first V4 station is being installed here in the US at present, with plans to upgrade many V3 stations to V4 over the next two years from what I've read/heard - at least where the electrical infrastructure will permit such upgrades. The NACS port on the CT isn't on the very back right taillight like the current Tesla models - it's located right behind the top left rear facing section of the rear wheel well - probably a good 20-24" from the rear taillights area - certainly better than most other brands - but still not located right at the rear side taillight like other Tesla models. Some folks will have difficulty parking close enough to charge the CT with this new charger port location without a doubt.

1697059746451.png

The V4 superchargers have cables that are three feet longer, partly for the CT. The first V4 station is being installed here in the US at present, with plans to upgrade many V3 stations to V4 over the next two years from what I've read/heard - at least where the electrical infrastructure will permit such upgrades. The NACS port on the CT isn't on the very back right taillight like the current Tesla models - it's located right behind the top left rear facing section of the rear wheel well - probably a good 20-24" from the rear taillights area - certainly better than most other brands - but still not located right at the rear side taillight like other Tesla models. Some folks will have difficulty parking close enough to charge the CT with this new charger port location without a doubt.

View attachment 981502
cool but i am skeptical they will accellerate enough sc for all these other cars

cool but i am skeptical they will accellerate enough sc for all these other cars
For all of what cars? Tesla is selling way more cars than all of the other NACS partners. (Are you worried about the 8 Silverado EVs sold each month?)

There may be pockets where they really need to increase capacity, but a whole lot of the Supercharger network is underutilized right now.

Here is some information that was posted elsewhere:

"That brings the list of NACS adopters (with their EV market share through the first 9 months of this year) to:
  • Tesla - 56.5%
  • Hyundai-Kia - 7.8%
  • GM - 6.4%
  • Ford - 5.3%
  • Rivian - 4.2%
  • BMW Group - 3.8%
  • Mercedes - 3.4%
  • Nissan - 1.8%
  • Volvo - 1.3%
  • Polestar - 1.0%
  • Fisker - 0.1%
  • Honda - 0%
  • Jaguar - 0.0%
This group made up more than 91% of EV sales so far this year."
The Hyundai/Kia cars certainly won't help if the majority of them continue to charge slowly because of their incompatibility with V3 Superchargers. But given they signed on as a partner, I assume that it will be fixed on either, or both, sides.

Last edited:
I suspect Tesla isn't just putting Superchargers around at a rapid rate to sell Teslas, they intend to make a profit on the sale of power - to all vehicles. The best way to do that is to corner the market, or grab the biggest share by getting there firstest with the mostest. Imagine if 75% of the fast-charge power stalls in the US were owned my Tesla, making a tidy profit. Can't just sell to Teslas.

I think the majority drivers who stop and charge at Super charger are either out of state travelers or someone who live in apartment building. I never see Super charger fully packed ever. I'd say most Tesla out of state drivers only charge enough for them to get to the next station anyway. Ten to fifteen minutes max. I'd say 90% of EV drivers are either charging it at home or at work.

I share your core concern, but it's also worth mentioning that most of the announcements from third parties only reference about half of the total SC install base in the US today. Most of the announcements I've seen speak of adding roughly 12k Tesla SC stations (the number of actual stalls obviously) - but there are actually roughly 25k SC stalls here in the US that reside at roughly 2000 actual SC stations. This makes me assume that not all SC stations will be open to third parties - only about 50%. The other 50% will remain dedicated only to Tesla vehicles - at least starting out in 2024/2025 - I'd imagine this too will change over time as more EVs are sold from third party manufacturers that have signed on with Tesla. Still - if the SC station(s) you typically use most often are among the shared third party stations and see much higher utilization starting in 2024 - which is now only a few months away - then the macro picture doesn't really matter for your specific circumstance does it? :cool:

I think the majority drivers who stop and charge at Super charger are either out of state travelers or someone who live in apartment building. I never see Super charger fully packed ever. I'd say most Tesla out of state drivers only charge enough for them to get to the next station anyway. Ten to fifteen minutes max. I'd say 90% of EV drivers are either charging it at home or at work.
I would tend to agree. We often take weekend vacation getaways in the Pocono mountains in PA. We typically use a SC station in Bartonsville, PA since it's a V3 station with eight stalls and it's in a shopping center with a few restaurants not far away that are walkable. It is what Tesla terms a "high utilization SC station" and on a few occasions it was 100% utilized while we were there. Fortunately we've never had to wait - but it filled up after we arrived. It's right off the major highway in the area, Rt 80, so it's not surprising that it's highly utilized with this in mind. There also aren't many SC stations in this area overall since it's more rural/suburban.

Most of the announcements I've seen speak of adding roughly 12k Tesla SC stations (the number of actual stalls obviously) - but there are actually roughly 25k SC stalls here in the US that reside at roughly 2000 actual SC stations. This makes me assume that not all SC stations will be open to third parties - only about 50%.
Yep. That is because the NACS partners will only get access to V3+ Superchargers, at least from what we have seen. Which was only about 50% of the North American network, but as they expand the Supercharger network the portion open to partners will increase.

Moderator note: This post plus some replies were merged from a new thread. To all posters: Before starting a new thread, please consider whether the topic you want to discuss can be handled by an existing one. Thanks.

With many car manufacturers adapting to the NACS charging standard as soon as next year (and 2025), and probably more coming, are there any plans from Tesla to significantly expand the Supercharger network? Where I live (Northern VA, DC suburbs), the Superchargers are already almost full, especially at peak / busy hours. It is only going to get worse, much worse, when all cars can charge at Superchargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Watts_Up
... especially during long holidays weekends like Thanksgiving. Maybe Tesla will add temporary chargers on a trailer.

I wonder if the additional Supercharging features provided by the Tesla Display inside the car or the Tesla App
will also be available to the no Tesla cars or when using the Tesla App under 'Not Charging a Tesla' ?

If those features will not be available, maybe this could help Tesla users to avoid heavy load choke points.

2023 10 18 Tesla App Supercharger Features .jpg

Last edited: