Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I tell my friends about the future of Tesla and the automotive industry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you, I get lots of requests to describe "Why Tesla" in a short discussion. So I decided to finally write up my thoughts below, and eager to know what others tell their friends. Did I get close to the same things you say? Love to hear from you

Why Tesla?
In an era where technology is advancing at breakneck speed, traditional car owners are witnessing a paradigm shift happening to automotive industry. Among the frontrunners of this revolution stands Tesla, a company that has redefined the way we perceive transportation. As a Tesla owner for more than six years, I wanted to share the numerous benefits of owning a Tesla over a conventional gasoline-powered vehicle, demonstrating why embracing the future with Tesla is a choice worth considering.

Environmental Impact:
Perhaps the most compelling reason to opt for a Tesla is its positive impact on the environment. Traditional cars emit harmful greenhouse gases and contribute significantly to air pollution. On the other hand, Tesla’s electric vehicles produce zero tailpipe emissions, running solely on electricity. By choosing Tesla, you become a part of the global movement to combat climate change and create a greener, sustainable future. And yes, generating electricity emits some greenhouse gases, but many homes are now able to generate electricity directly from sunlight to power their Teslas and their homes for free.

Cost Savings:
While the upfront cost of a Tesla might seem higher than some traditional cars, the long-term financial benefits are substantial. Electric vehicles are inherently more energy-efficient, translating into lower operating costs. The absence of gasoline expenses and reduced maintenance needs (no oil changes or complex engine components) results in significant savings over the vehicle’s lifetime. And given the inherent Earth-friendly elements of driving EVs, there are substantial Federal and State rebates available for getting a qualifying Tesla.

Performance and Instant Torque:
Tesla vehicles are renowned for their exhilarating performance. The electric powertrain delivers instant torque, providing swift acceleration that outperforms many traditional cars. Experience the thrill of going from 0 to 60 mph in a matter of seconds, all while enjoying a smooth, quiet ride that is characteristic of electric vehicles. Amazing as it may sound, many Tesla drivers win track races against purpose-built race cars – then drive the family to school in the same car – at about 1/4 the price of those race cars.

Safety and Autopilot:
It may seem impossible, but Tesla vehicles are among the nicest, fastest, least expensive and safest cars on the planet. Tesla cars were designed so their heaviest components are located closer to the car’s center of gravity which make them easier to handle. Since there is no engine, Tesla has a unique front crumple zone optimized to absorb energy and crush more efficiently where in traditional cars the engine is inches from the driver’s legs. In frontal crashes, Tesla’s crumple zone controls deceleration of occupants, while special airbags which were shaped to protect an occupant’s head in angled or offset crashes protect the most important human head. Front and knee airbags and a collapsible steering column work to further reduce injury, all contributing to Tesla’s 5-star safety rating.

Tesla has been at the forefront of autonomous driving technology, incorporating advanced driver-assistance features like Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and Full Self Driving (FSD). Despite these names, no Tesla is fully autonomous, and still requires a driver to pay attention. Even so, these features enhance safety by helping with tasks like lane-keeping, adaptive cruise control, and emergency braking. Over time, as Tesla continues to improve its self-driving capabilities through software updates, the convenience and safety benefits will only increase. Tesla has stated that:

The currently enabled Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As Tesla’s Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capabilities evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.
Tesla
Supercharger Network and Charging Convenience:
One concern among traditional car owners considering electric vehicles is range anxiety. Tesla has addressed this issue by investing in its Supercharger network, a vast and growing infrastructure of fast-charging stations, now more than 45,000 strong. Superchargers allow Tesla owners to recharge their vehicles quickly, making long-distance travel more convenient and worry-free. Many people charge their Teslas at home in their own garage, filling their tank for much less than a gas-powered vehicle, while they sleep when electric costs are lower. Tesla owners typically only need to use the Supercharger network while on long trips, and many will never again need to stop at a station.

close up photo of charging port

A Tesla charging cable
Tesla uses a three-pronged connector, known within the industry as the North American Charging Standard (NACS) to send 120 volts of electricity to a vehicle’s battery. A 15-minute charge can give a Tesla enough power to travel up to 200 miles. With such a huge lead Tesla established building out its large and efficient charging network, as of July 2023, many of Tesla’s competitors including Ford, GM, Volvo, Rivian, and Mercedes-Benz have committed to using Tesla’s supercharger network. These same manufactures have vowed to design their future EVs with a NACS port with an eye toward making it the industry standard for all EVs, not just Tesla.

Tesla Supercharger Network
Tesla’s US Supercharger Network

Over-the-Air Updates, Infotainment and Connectivity:
Tesla vehicles were one of the first vehicles equipped with over-the-air software updates, a feature not commonly found in traditional cars. This means your Tesla will continuously improve and gain new features over time, much like your smartphone. No need to visit a dealership for updates; the latest advancements come straight to your vehicle. Most of Tesla’s “recalls” have also been solved with over the air updates. Additionally, Tesla’s user-friendly infotainment system, with its large touchscreen display, provides a seamless and intuitive user experience. The system offers features like real-time traffic updates, music streaming, Caraoke, games and access to navigation, all of which are continuously updated to improve functionality. One of our favorite features is watching Netflix or YouTube videos while charging – or while using Camp mode in our car.

Passionate Fanbase:
Embracing the Tesla revolution is not just about owning an electric vehicle; it’s about becoming part of a vibrant and passionate community. Tesla enthusiasts are known for their boundless enthusiasm, and they eagerly share their ownership experiences and insights online. For those considering an EV purchase, this dedicated community is an invaluable resource.

The Tesla Motors Club is a prime example of such a community, where like-minded individuals come together to exchange knowledge and support one another. As a first-time Tesla owner, having access to such a wealth of information can be a game-changer. However, when engaging with these forums, it’s crucial to remember one golden rule: search before you ask. Nothing annoys forum members more than repetitive questions that have been addressed numerous times before. By utilizing the search functionality, you can find the answers you need swiftly, while also respecting the community’s time and efforts.

As you immerse yourself in the Tesla community, get ready to encounter a fanbase like no other (maybe Apple’s comes close). Their loyalty and dedication are contagious, making your transition to electric motoring smoother and more enjoyable. So, whether you’re seeking technical advice, sharing your experiences, or simply reveling in the EV culture, the Tesla community is your perfect companion on this electrifying journey.

Steve Chazin and Tesla

Happy Tesla Model S owners taking delivery at Fremont California plant

Embracing the future with a Tesla brings numerous advantages over traditional cars, from environmental consciousness and cost savings to exhilarating performance, safety and cutting-edge technology. As we move towards a more sustainable and connected world, owning a Tesla is not just about driving a car; it’s about being a part of a movement that aims to reshape the automotive industry for the better. So, why settle for the past when you can drive into the future with a Tesla?

Full disclosure, I also posted this article on this site [link removed by moderator because of commercial content] designed to help newbies learn about technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone asks, I will answer and explain. Otherwise, I have better things to do than evangelizing this.

At a top conceptual level, there's 3 things that are important outside of that saving the planet funny stuff.

1. Driving cost. Roughly 5km/kWH or 3miles/kWH driving range. Means that if electricity costs 10c (adjust to your local costs), the cost to go 30 miles of 50km is about $1. Now compare against gas.

2. Maintenance cost. An EV is basically one or more big motors powered by a huge battery. Like old toy cars. There's no oil change, no pistons, transmission etc, so there's less parts to replace. Some parts do need to be replaced, like door handles, hinges for charging port, but they are very rare.

3. Fast at Red Lights. If you're stopped in front at a red light, it takes very little time to speed up, meaning you can change lanes easily. Just be responsible while you're having fun and it's all great.

There are many other fun trivia.

Reactions: scgaskill
I tell them it’s like serenity

Your at one with transportation

No keys (just need phone/Watch/or ring)
No smell
No noise (just the hum)
No gas
No oil
No coolant (tradition radiator)
No engine (ICE)
No transmission
No brakes (regeneration mostly)
No parts (M3 10K vs ICE vehicle 30K+)
No moving parts (M3 17 vs ICE 200+)
No emissions inspection
No driving (FSD L5 one day)
No exhaustion (AP)

EVs are fun
ICE are not

Amen brother-ice car owners always quote the auto-pilot crashes or the range anxiety from tv news. EV are the future and they are hear to stay but best of all they just keep getting better,cooler, smarter, faster and Tesla is way ahead of everyone else.

Amen brother-ice car owners always quote the auto-pilot crashes or the range anxiety from tv news. EV are the future and they are hear to stay but best of all they just keep getting better,cooler, smarter, faster and Tesla is way ahead of everyone else.
just like the holiday update
love having apple podcast, starts playing again as soon as I jump in the Tesla

Btw, after I switch to Ultra Low pricing for my electricity, it's now no longer 7.3c from 7pm to 7am. There is a 2.9c 11pm to 7am - which is when I charge the teslas.

There are other per kwH charges like transmission etc, but my charging costs basically halved for the tesla. However switching to winter tires and wheels made it about 4km / kwH now (used to be more than 5km / kwH) on the ModelX. I think it's the winter tires more than the temperature - I noticed an immediate bump in wH/km on a 10C drive after the switch.

FWIW, by scheduling big tasks like laundry dryer, dishwasher and room heaters AND charging teslas between 11pm to 7am, last quarter I got almost 65% of usage in that time slot. It makes a difference in electricity bills for Ontario Canada.

Btw, after I switch to Ultra Low pricing for my electricity, it's now no longer 7.3c from 7pm to 7am. There is a 2.9c 11pm to 7am - which is when I charge the teslas.

There are other per kwH charges like transmission etc, but my charging costs basically halved for the tesla. However switching to winter tires and wheels made it about 4km / kwH now (used to be more than 5km / kwH) on the ModelX. I think it's the winter tires more than the temperature - I noticed an immediate bump in wH/km on a 10C drive after the switch.

FWIW, by scheduling big tasks like laundry dryer, dishwasher and room heaters AND charging teslas between 11pm to 7am, last quarter I got almost 65% of usage in that time slot. It makes a difference in electricity bills for Ontario Canada.
think in CA you are enjoying hydro power that is effectively free off peak
enjoy

FYI-Nikola Tesla originally harnessed electricity as a FREE energy source for everyone to enjoy but with each new Tesla charger we pay a higher fee. I do appreciate the speed of the type 4 chargers but the price is yet again a little higher.

Yes, I know still cheaper than gas......I think we each new owner we should get 3 months FREE super-charger trials. That way one can appreciate the speed and convience.

I am a fan and owner of Tesla car too. What I love the most is that I can charge the car at home for city driving and around 200 miles roundtrip without worrying about on road charging. And the TACC + Auto-Steer are great driver assist features.
I avoid calling them Auto Pilot as most people think the can drive to destination by itself without driver involvement (like auto taxi cars).

True AUTO PILOT (Full Self Driving per Tesla terminology) can NEVER be perfect. Software has limitation, more correctly, human brain of programmers who design this feature has limitation. My career was in software design and development (I wrote lot of software codes) and have to admit that no matter how careful and how good one is, there is always something that programmers miss, Part of that are due to decoding sensor signal, camera video (are they alwasy reliable? ) and take proper actions. Mistake in this area sadly could result in death, meaning mistakes of AUTO PILOT are NOT ACCEPTABLE.
I had 3 months to try FSD but decided to ignore it for good. Spending 12K and put my life and other people's life at risk is not a wise choice.

I can imagine that people who are no longer able to drive a conventional car (very old folks for example) could have a good use for FSD. They only need to enter the destination address and the car bring them there. So they have mobility without relying on others. That's a dream.

Reactions: evo9rs
Like many of you, I get lots of requests to describe "Why Tesla" in a short discussion. So I decided to finally write up my thoughts below, and eager to know what others tell their friends. Did I get close to the same things you say? Love to hear from you

Why Tesla?
In an era where technology is advancing at breakneck speed, traditional car owners are witnessing a paradigm shift happening to automotive industry. Among the frontrunners of this revolution stands Tesla, a company that has redefined the way we perceive transportation. As a Tesla owner for more than six years, I wanted to share the numerous benefits of owning a Tesla over a conventional gasoline-powered vehicle, demonstrating why embracing the future with Tesla is a choice worth considering.

Environmental Impact:
Perhaps the most compelling reason to opt for a Tesla is its positive impact on the environment. Traditional cars emit harmful greenhouse gases and contribute significantly to air pollution. On the other hand, Tesla’s electric vehicles produce zero tailpipe emissions, running solely on electricity. By choosing Tesla, you become a part of the global movement to combat climate change and create a greener, sustainable future. And yes, generating electricity emits some greenhouse gases, but many homes are now able to generate electricity directly from sunlight to power their Teslas and their homes for free.

Cost Savings:
While the upfront cost of a Tesla might seem higher than some traditional cars, the long-term financial benefits are substantial. Electric vehicles are inherently more energy-efficient, translating into lower operating costs. The absence of gasoline expenses and reduced maintenance needs (no oil changes or complex engine components) results in significant savings over the vehicle’s lifetime. And given the inherent Earth-friendly elements of driving EVs, there are substantial Federal and State rebates available for getting a qualifying Tesla.

Performance and Instant Torque:
Tesla vehicles are renowned for their exhilarating performance. The electric powertrain delivers instant torque, providing swift acceleration that outperforms many traditional cars. Experience the thrill of going from 0 to 60 mph in a matter of seconds, all while enjoying a smooth, quiet ride that is characteristic of electric vehicles. Amazing as it may sound, many Tesla drivers win track races against purpose-built race cars – then drive the family to school in the same car – at about 1/4 the price of those race cars.

Safety and Autopilot:
It may seem impossible, but Tesla vehicles are among the nicest, fastest, least expensive and safest cars on the planet. Tesla cars were designed so their heaviest components are located closer to the car’s center of gravity which make them easier to handle. Since there is no engine, Tesla has a unique front crumple zone optimized to absorb energy and crush more efficiently where in traditional cars the engine is inches from the driver’s legs. In frontal crashes, Tesla’s crumple zone controls deceleration of occupants, while special airbags which were shaped to protect an occupant’s head in angled or offset crashes protect the most important human head. Front and knee airbags and a collapsible steering column work to further reduce injury, all contributing to Tesla’s 5-star safety rating.

Tesla has been at the forefront of autonomous driving technology, incorporating advanced driver-assistance features like Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and Full Self Driving (FSD). Despite these names, no Tesla is fully autonomous, and still requires a driver to pay attention. Even so, these features enhance safety by helping with tasks like lane-keeping, adaptive cruise control, and emergency braking. Over time, as Tesla continues to improve its self-driving capabilities through software updates, the convenience and safety benefits will only increase. Tesla has stated that:

Supercharger Network and Charging Convenience:
One concern among traditional car owners considering electric vehicles is range anxiety. Tesla has addressed this issue by investing in its Supercharger network, a vast and growing infrastructure of fast-charging stations, now more than 45,000 strong. Superchargers allow Tesla owners to recharge their vehicles quickly, making long-distance travel more convenient and worry-free. Many people charge their Teslas at home in their own garage, filling their tank for much less than a gas-powered vehicle, while they sleep when electric costs are lower. Tesla owners typically only need to use the Supercharger network while on long trips, and many will never again need to stop at a station.

close up photo of charging port

A Tesla charging cable
Tesla uses a three-pronged connector, known within the industry as the North American Charging Standard (NACS) to send 120 volts of electricity to a vehicle’s battery. A 15-minute charge can give a Tesla enough power to travel up to 200 miles. With such a huge lead Tesla established building out its large and efficient charging network, as of July 2023, many of Tesla’s competitors including Ford, GM, Volvo, Rivian, and Mercedes-Benz have committed to using Tesla’s supercharger network. These same manufactures have vowed to design their future EVs with a NACS port with an eye toward making it the industry standard for all EVs, not just Tesla.

Tesla Supercharger Network
Tesla’s US Supercharger Network

Over-the-Air Updates, Infotainment and Connectivity:
Tesla vehicles were one of the first vehicles equipped with over-the-air software updates, a feature not commonly found in traditional cars. This means your Tesla will continuously improve and gain new features over time, much like your smartphone. No need to visit a dealership for updates; the latest advancements come straight to your vehicle. Most of Tesla’s “recalls” have also been solved with over the air updates. Additionally, Tesla’s user-friendly infotainment system, with its large touchscreen display, provides a seamless and intuitive user experience. The system offers features like real-time traffic updates, music streaming, Caraoke, games and access to navigation, all of which are continuously updated to improve functionality. One of our favorite features is watching Netflix or YouTube videos while charging – or while using Camp mode in our car.

Passionate Fanbase:
Embracing the Tesla revolution is not just about owning an electric vehicle; it’s about becoming part of a vibrant and passionate community. Tesla enthusiasts are known for their boundless enthusiasm, and they eagerly share their ownership experiences and insights online. For those considering an EV purchase, this dedicated community is an invaluable resource.

The Tesla Motors Club is a prime example of such a community, where like-minded individuals come together to exchange knowledge and support one another. As a first-time Tesla owner, having access to such a wealth of information can be a game-changer. However, when engaging with these forums, it’s crucial to remember one golden rule: search before you ask. Nothing annoys forum members more than repetitive questions that have been addressed numerous times before. By utilizing the search functionality, you can find the answers you need swiftly, while also respecting the community’s time and efforts.

As you immerse yourself in the Tesla community, get ready to encounter a fanbase like no other (maybe Apple’s comes close). Their loyalty and dedication are contagious, making your transition to electric motoring smoother and more enjoyable. So, whether you’re seeking technical advice, sharing your experiences, or simply reveling in the EV culture, the Tesla community is your perfect companion on this electrifying journey.

Steve Chazin and Tesla

Happy Tesla Model S owners taking delivery at Fremont California plant

Embracing the future with a Tesla brings numerous advantages over traditional cars, from environmental consciousness and cost savings to exhilarating performance, safety and cutting-edge technology. As we move towards a more sustainable and connected world, owning a Tesla is not just about driving a car; it’s about being a part of a movement that aims to reshape the automotive industry for the better. So, why settle for the past when you can drive into the future with a Tesla?

Full disclosure, I also posted this article on this site [link removed by moderator because of commercial content] designed to help newbies learn about technology.
Tesla Repair or service centers compared to ice car service centers. Another reason to buy Tesla.