Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this has been pointed out in this thread or the others linked here but just in case. Didn't Elon said that those doors wouldn't go higher than any hatchback or tailgate of other SUV's? I googled how high was the Q7 with the tailgate open since it was the one Elon was comparing the X with and I just got a rough number from a Q7 owner, 220cm. That's less than 87" so I think it will be 85". If someone has the exact figure or can get it, thanks for sharing.

I don't know if this has been pointed out in this thread or the others linked here but just in case. Didn't Elon said that those doors wouldn't go higher than any hatchback or tailgate of other SUV's? I googled how high was the Q7 with the tailgate open since it was the one Elon was comparing the X with and I just got a rough number from a Q7 owner, 220cm. That's less than 87" so I think it will be 85". If someone has the exact figure or can get it, thanks for sharing.

Elon did say something like this. However, as much as I respect Elon, I've learned to ignore a lot of these comments.

I'm sort of wondering if this is dependent on air suspension.

I'm sort of wondering if this is dependent on air suspension.
I think when you pull in the garage the air suspension does this so you can easily open the doors (and for older people getting out).
Image: http://www.fastcoolcars.com/images/lowriders/lowrider-02.jpg
lowrider-02.jpg

Roamer posted this video in another thread. I'm asking for more details on obstruction height, and clearance width on the sides of the doors (looks just as tight as my garage!)

Didn't plan to share this but it does show the doors working in a low door garage environment. The left Falcon door is a little obstruction sensitive but works fine. The garage door tracks are low rise to clear a structural beam. The doors open fine in this two car garage spot with the lower than normal garage door top tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note: In Roamer's video, the right door took approximately 7 seconds to open. The more heavily obstructed left door took 15 seconds to open.

My left Falcon door is a little more obstruction sensitive. We plan to get it in for therapy. Given the choice I prefer more sensitive to less sensitive. In the video my helper did a hold the button down sensor override when the door stopped opening.

I can't get you measurements right now. We are not at home. Brought the car home from delivery and grabbed a quick video in the garage then loaded it up and hit the road. By the end of delivery day we had 500 miles on the car. The next day anothe 100 plus.

The P85D in the video was actually parked closer than normal and had the mirrors out. The FWD opened on that side with no problem at all.

Just got to check out a Signature Model X in person today and measured to the top of the Falcon Wing Door. I measured 90" to the top-most point, which is midway in the door. Just measured our garage door from the floor to the lowest point - 89". Might work, though I imagine it'll stop with some room, so maybe 3" short of its normal opening height. We'll have to see it in the garage first to say for sure.

Also, opened normally where the sunroof portion is opened all the way to 90 degrees vertical, the rest of the door sticks out 18" from the side of the car.

I measured 90" to the top-most point, which is midway in the door.
Also, opened normally where the sunroof portion is opened all the way to 90 degrees vertical, the rest of the door sticks out 18" from the side of the car.

Firstly, thank you! Second, do you know which setting was selected in the suspension during your measurement? I'd like to update the wiki with your data.

There's over 3" of travel in the air ride. It's possible in your garage, where your obstruction is at 89", you could set the car to always lower to "very low" and get yourself a bit of extra space.

18" is not bad at all. What was your reference point on that measurement? (e.g. side panel of the driver door).

Firstly, thank you! Second, do you know which setting was selected in the suspension during your measurement? I'd like to update the wiki with your data.

There's over 3" of travel in the air ride. It's possible in your garage, where your obstruction is at 89", you could set the car to always lower to "very low" and get yourself a bit of extra space.

18" is not bad at all. What was your reference point on that measurement? (e.g. side panel of the driver door).

Drat, I meant to check the suspension setting but forgot. It was pretty chaotic there with a good 30+ people all over that car :) Hopefully someone else took note of the setting. For now, I have to assume it was the default, which I understand to be "low." I didn't see anyone playing with the suspension height the whole time I was there.

18" out was indeed from the side panel of the driver door.

Also, I'd note that the rails of my garage door are at the standard 88" high, but because of the way the falcon wing doors slope down that shouldn't be the limiting factor. The intersection point will be a good foot or more in from the rails. Because the garage door sits an inch up in the track on its rollers, that gives me (and hopefully others) a tiny bit of extra room.

Drat, I meant to check the suspension setting but forgot. It was pretty chaotic there with a good 30+ people all over that car :) Hopefully someone else took note of the setting. For now, I have to assume it was the default, which I understand to be "low." I didn't see anyone playing with the suspension height the whole time I was there.

18" out was indeed from the side panel of the driver door.

Also, I'd note that the rails of my garage door are at the standard 88" high, but because of the way the falcon wing doors slope down that shouldn't be the limiting factor. The intersection point will be a good foot or more in from the rails. Because the garage door sits an inch up in the track on its rollers, that gives me (and hopefully others) a tiny bit of extra room.
Kittylitter's Model X was in "Low" which apparently is the "Normal" setting for the Model X (of course now I don't know which of the many people I met there you are... can you jog my memory?)

Garage Parking Help

For those making an initial installation of a Model X in their garage, I offer the following suggestion for parking in exactly the same spot every time:

The dual laser garage pointer about $25, sold here Amazon.com: MAXSA Innovations 37312 Park Right Garage Laser Park, Dual Lasers: Automotive

I've used it for over six years and it has worked without fail. Just position the vehicle(s), point the laser(s) at a spot on the car (I use a seam on the dash), and pull the car in to that point each time. I've no vested interest here, just passing on a tip for folks putting a big expensive car in the garage.

For those making an initial installation of a Model X in their garage, I offer the following suggestion for parking in exactly the same spot every time:

The dual laser garage pointer about $25, sold here Amazon.com: MAXSA Innovations 37312 Park Right Garage Laser Park, Dual Lasers: Automotive

I've used it for over six years and it has worked without fail. Just position the vehicle(s), point the laser(s) at a spot on the car (I use a seam on the dash), and pull the car in to that point each time. I've no vested interest here, just passing on a tip for folks putting a big expensive car in the garage.
Wow! Great idea! Much better than the tennis ball hanging from a string we've been using! Haha! ;-)

I have wall cabinets 40" above the floor in my Garage and I want to check if the front of Model X will fit under the cabinets. Can anyone advise the min / max height of Model X. I think a height measurement 15" in from the front of the car would be fine ie aligned to the front edge of the tire?