Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X refresh trunk keeps open on its own. Multiple errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a mobile service appointment scheduled, but this started happening yesterday. It may be a coincidence but my wife happened to also go through an automated car wash earlier in the day.

Since then the rear trunk hatch is continually opening on its own. Sometimes it stays closed for 30 minutes, but often it opens within 10 minutes of being closed. If the car is locked the trunk will stay closed, but any time it is unlocked to get in, it often opens before being able to get in and put it into drive. The first few times it opened, it opened right into our garage door. I checked notifications\service mode and see multiple errors: VCRIGHT_a178 (VCRIGHT is reporting trunk button switch as pressed but VCBATT is not), as well as PCS_a022 (PCS and BMS can't communication over CAN). I did try to plug in and charge, and it seemed to be able to charge at up to 40a, so that second error might have been temporary.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Yes. That was one of the many features of my lemoned MX that had a mind of its own. The trunk and doors opening on their own started around Feb/Mar of 2023, so look for my posts around then on this thread:

Yes. That was one of the many features of my lemoned MX that had a mind of its own. The trunk and doors opening on their own started around Feb/Mar of 2023, so look for my posts around then on this thread:

Thanks for the link read through it. Sounded like pretty much everything was wrong with your car, so might just be a coincidence. Although your posts about water intrusion coinciding with a lot of the door\window problems does seem to suggest the automated car wash earlier in the day was probably not a fluke in my case.

My car is now in service, so we will see if they find anything. I was told the cars don't have FM radio and it is just a streaming service, so might have just been an issue with the connectivity to the online service. The radio was working again when i dropped it off.

Whelp... My wife went to get a car wash for the first time since service, and the trunk is doing the exact same thing again.

I even asked the service rep after the service if they fixed the issue that was letting water in so it wouldn't happen again and he said "I'm sure they would have fixed it properly because they don't want you back in for service under warranty again" ...

I took it into service. They left the car for a couple days sitting in the lot before working on it, so I'm pretty sure all the water dried up. Then they had it for almost two weeks and couldn't reproduce the issue. I got it back from service, took it immediately to a car wash and it is already happening within a few hours. I'm pretty ticked off about it, although at least they repaired the paint damage that was caused by the last time it kept opening because it scraped up against my garage door. My plan is to drive straight back to service in the morning and try to talk to the actual technicians.