Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow evening...I'll try to do some opening of the fwd to the 88" overhead obstruction with various side clearances and car height (suspension settings) - if I can figure out if the suspension settings can be changed when the car is parked...Lots of things to learn

Its interesting to see how the car reacts to different situations.......I'm getting the impression that the door sensors respond differently to the material that it is sensing (metal poles, concrete walls, human beings etc - density or electrical impedance differences??). Don't know if this is my perception or reality...

In any case...I know the human interaction is universal...Every time those doors are opened it immediately draws a crowd....

...Its interesting to see how the car reacts to different situations.......I'm getting the impression that the door sensors respond differently to the material that it is sensing (metal poles, concrete walls, human beings etc - density or electrical impedance differences??). Don't know if this is my perception or reality...
For me, the oddest opening occurred with the sun shining directly on the door surface. It raised slowly in a vertical direction until it would raise no more. It would not extend that side door upwards at all, even though nothing was in the way. Several attempts gave the same result. Yet, the door works perfectly most of the time. Thankfully, the ability to override by holding down the center button on the key fob is provided.

I took an iPhone movie to show the SC who can assist in future training and programming. No posting is planned since these are the baby steps of a child learning how to spread it's arms. I don't want to embarrass the child, since Model X may grow up quickly to be an athlete with Olympic feats of daring and flawless gymnastics every time.

Last edited:
The information you seek may be hidden in the Tesla Model X manual. Here is a peek of my touchscreen. Sorry for the overlap, read the last page carefully for the remaining bit of data.

Don't ask me about the skis, I don't have a clue. Please don't request additional info, I don't have the time!

And above all, please don't copy and paste my screen shots here. The data may be incorrect! Just look at the originals so this thread will remain clean. Those screens look terrible with those lines from the camera.

Dimensions | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enjoy arguing about the Wiki data if it is different!
Thanks a lot, this almost confirms that the X is too big for us:)

Adding some photos of my own. KittyLitter was kind enough to stop by last weekend to allow us to observe how an X would fit in our garage. Sorry I don't have pictures with a tape measure, you'll just have to trust me. ;-)

The garage door opener is ~90 inches from the floor. I can't remember if the doors opened fully. They're certainly close!

The step/curb at the back is ~7.5 inches high.

Cheers!

IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4364.jpg
IMG_4365.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4362.jpg

Great pics, goneskiian. I'm assuming you backed it in because that's the way you plan to park it. You were able to clear the doors because of that.

Firmware 7.1 is now out with the summon feature. FWDs opening in the garage may be slightly less important. Get out in the driveway, walk in, and let your MX auto-park.

Confirmed in this thread that auto parking works both backing in and pulling in. This is, in my opinion, very pertinent to this thread because most photos show that backing into the garage allows FW doors to clear the overhead garage door. If you haven't installed your 14-50 or HPWC, it might be worthwhile to install it on the back wall.

I knew my wife wouldn't agree to backing the MX in, so I hadn't considered this an option, but I think this is the way forward for us.

Confirmed in this thread that auto parking works both backing in and pulling in. This is, in my opinion, very pertinent to this thread because most photos show that backing into the garage allows FW doors to clear the overhead garage door. If you haven't installed your 14-50 or HPWC, it might be worthwhile to install it on the back wall.

I knew my wife wouldn't agree to backing the MX in, so I hadn't considered this an option, but I think this is the way forward for us.

In my experience, backing in is always the way forward. :)

Great pics, goneskiian. I'm assuming you backed it in because that's the way you plan to park it. You were able to clear the doors because of that.

Firmware 7.1 is now out with the summon feature. FWDs opening in the garage may be slightly less important. Get out in the driveway, walk in, and let your MX auto-park.
Thanks!

Yup, that's where we plan to park it. It's not a super wide opening but there is more than a foot or so of extra space on either side once inside, even with the shelves, so opening the driver side to the outside will allow easier access (of course the auto park/summon feature should help with that! All we need now is the robot snake charger! Ha!). The electrical panel is right there on that wall so the HPWC mounting should be a nice short run. I'm also hoping to put a 14-50 on the other side or even outside, but I *think* the HPWC cable should reach the other spot too. Lastly, my wife isn't comfortable backing in with no rear view camera in her car as she's had sole use of the car spot up until now due to my rather large collection of bicycles taking priority over my vehicle being inside. ;-)

Cheers!

I have a detached garage from my house and it has fairly low overhead clearance as well as a narrow width. Here are some pictures. Although the pictures look like access is difficult to the car, it is actually quite good in our situation. It's easier to access the Model X with the doors like this vs. our Model S in the same garage. In one of the pictures you can see the pull handle of the garage door opener track and how the Falcon wing door stops before hitting it. The sensors do a great job at detecting all the obstructions. The more I use the doors, the more confidence I have that I can open them anywhere and they sensors will protect the doors from hitting anything.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

I have a detached garage from my house and it has fairly low overhead clearance as well as a narrow width. Here are some pictures. Although the pictures look like access is difficult to the car, it is actually quite good in our situation. It's easier to access the Model X with the doors like this vs. our Model S in the same garage. In one of the pictures you can see the pull handle of the garage door opener track and how the Falcon wing door stops before hitting it. The sensors do a great job at detecting all the obstructions. The more I use the doors, the more confidence I have that I can open them anywhere and they sensors will protect the doors from hitting anything.

Is there a reason the passenger door is stopping so early? From the pictures, it isn't clear what (if anything) it is seeing that would cause it to stop opening. Is it the blue box on the ground perhaps? I wouldn't think so, as it has already cleared that as an obstacle.

I have a detached garage from my house and it has fairly low overhead clearance as well as a narrow width. Here are some pictures.

Thanks, Blurry_Eyed. These are great. One thing that would be tremendously helpful to others (especially given the tightness of your garage) would be if you could measure the width and height of the garage where the doors are opening. It will give some of us a chance to measure our available space as well. Just if you get the chance. Thanks again for the great photos.

By the way, I notice the ladder is present...

Is there a reason the passenger door is stopping so early? From the pictures, it isn't clear what (if anything) it is seeing that would cause it to stop opening. Is it the blue box on the ground perhaps? I wouldn't think so, as it has already cleared that as an obstacle.

The door is detecting the bar that attaches the garage to the opener track. The bar was not anchored to the middle of the garage. It's just a bit offset to the passenger side of the car. You can see it in the picture the shows the angle of the top of the car looking from the left back corner. It stopped the door to keep it from hitting that obstruction. The boxes on the floor aren't a problem. Even though it looks tight I can easily get in to the passenger side Falcon door. It's actually easier than trying to squeeze in sideways as I have to do with the Model S. No need to grab the edge of the door to keep it from hitting the wall. Just hop in the X and close the door!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Blurry_Eyed. These are great. One thing that would be tremendously helpful to others (especially given the tightness of your garage) would be if you could measure the width and height of the garage where the doors are opening. It will give some of us a chance to measure our available space as well. Just if you get the chance. Thanks again for the great photos.

I'll get out there later today and do some measurements.

The door is detecting the bar that attaches the garage to the opener track. The bar was not anchored to the middle of the garage. It's just a bit offset to the passenger side of the car. You can see it in the picture the shows the angle of the top of the car looking from the left back corner. It stopped the door to keep it from hitting that obstruction.

Ah, thanks, I see what you are talking about. Very impressive that the door accounts for such.

Ah, thanks, I see what you are talking about. Very impressive that the door accounts for such.

Agreed. Just curious, Blurry_Eyed, if you back in do the doors clear the overhead door and opener? Seems that they do in most garages. I suppose you won't be able to try summon until 7.1 is released for the MX.. but that'll be the next question. Seems like a perfect solution in your garage.

Model X ..check, ladder ..check, all is well :biggrin:

Here are some garage measurements for reference:
Garage interior width (from edge of plywood wall to edge of exposed stud) - 133 inches

Height:
Lowest point of metal edge of garage door when door is opened : 88 inches
Lowest point of flat curved metal bar that attaches garage door chain mechanism to garage door: 85 inches

Approximate space from edge of garage to car: 26 inches. This width varies depending on how we park the car. The Falcon wing door will still open with 26 inches of space, but it will be a bit tight (but still possible) to get into the car If we move over even an inch or two, so the side width is 27 or 28 inches, the Falcon door will open even more.

Here are some additional pictures for reference (I put a couple of shots with the front doors open so you can get a sense of how tight the garage is):

IMG_0805.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg

Thank you SO much for these photos and specs! Makes me feel better about my detached two car garage. Have been told that it is a "standard-sized garage" (by a contractor), but we have to be really careful opening the doors of my husband's Model S to avoid hitting the walls. I will mainly be parking my Model X in the parking pad in front of my home (for easiest access to our home), but I will have to get into the garage to charge my X from time to time. What a relief to see that it should fit okay even with the FWD -- thanks again!