Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi E-Tron is the best selling car in Norway for 2020 by far with EV market share hitting an alltime high.
Electric car market share hits record high in Norway, Audi e-tron leading the pack - Electrek

#1 Audi E-Tron: 5,618
#2 VW E-Golf: 3,821
#6: Model 3: 1,795
Registreringsstatistikken – Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

Unbenannt.JPG

Why are the Norway people buying so many VW cars (E-Tron and E-Golf), although Model 3 or Model X is a much better EV?

My hypothesis is that Tesla supply to Norway has been lower than in 2019 due to prioritisation being given to other markets. It would be good if someone with more knowledge could comment.
Also, I note that the e-Tron volumes are only about half of what M3 did last year.
It will be worth reviewing the position at end of 2021 once Giga Berlin has supplied European markets - could be a game change in Europe

I am not convinced about this prioritisation theory.
Tesla Model 3 that you buy now can be had in August according to norwegian Tesla website:

Unbenannt.JPG

So getting one is not a problem in Norway, if people wanted them.

Also, I note that the e-Tron volumes are only about half of what M3 did last year.
True, but Audi E-Tron is also twice the price of a Model 3.
Model X is comparable, but hardly any sales anymore.

I read in some norwegian EV blog that they expect the VW ID3 to be the best selling car of 2020 in Norway, despite starting delivery in Norway only in September, it will flood the market end of year.

Last edited:
It will be worth reviewing the position at end of 2021 once Giga Berlin has supplied European markets - could be a game change in Europe
Could be but Giga Berlin has just been downscaled to "only" 100,000 cars per year and no battery production on site.
Tesla Removes Batteries From Scaled-Back Berlin Factory Plans

Also by end of 2021 the onslought of VW group will be in full swing, which I expect to be a "game changer in Europe" a lot more.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Perhaps for the same reason why so many car manufacturers exist. While a Tesla Model 3 might be technologically 'the best' for it's price etc., the looks might not be for everyone? Some people would rather a brand that they are more old school biased towards, they just needed it to release an EV SUV. Also from a privilege point of view, if everyone had a Tesla, some may want something else just to be different and to look much more well off? e.g. If you had a billion dollars and you wanted the world to know, would you drive a Rolls Royce or a Camry?

Eitherway, Norway has the mark of Tesla all over it and when the Model Y is more available then the E-tron might have some competition.

Reactions: Neilio
...Also by end of 2021 the onslought of VW group will be in full swing, which I expect to be a "game changer in Europe" a lot more.

Don't be so sure, they have thousands of ID.3s rotting on lots since last year, software buggy they claim, and the engineers now have started blaming suppliers, no in-house electronics manufacturing, see this:
Tesla teardown finds electronics 6 years ahead of Toyota and VW
This what you get from the 9-5 card punching unionistas.

Last edited:
Could be but Giga Berlin has just been downscaled to "only" 100,000 cars per year and no battery production on site.

Also by end of 2021 the onslought of VW group will be in full swing, which I expect to be a "game changer in Europe" a lot more.
The “only 100,000” quote was a mis-translation and has now been corrected. The proper translation is “more than 100,000”. The removal of battery production is correct.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
It’s about differentiation and snob appeal. Tesla has dominated the Norwegian market for so long that some folks want a different looking EV.

A guy on another EV site noted there were too many Model 3 “doppelgängers” on the motorway and the etron made people feel more special. These folks probably think that having a car with 4 rings is an advertisement that they are classy or sophisticated or just fills some other psychological need. Until of course they realise that they are feeling special in a fat, slow, bling machine that costs twice as much as anything else when the I-Pace looks better, the EQC drives better, and any Tesla just is better.

Tesla had some issues in Norway. Initial sales took off like a Rocket, and Tesla did not have the infrastructure to service that early flood of cars. They got some bad press, and perhaps Audi has a better, already established service and sales network.

Most of these spikes in EV sales have been due to amazingly agressive governmental incentives to encourage EV adoption. As these schemes come and go, the sales volumes will fluctuate as well.

With huge incentives, owners will normally gravitate to the most expensive vehicles available, as they will provide the biggest rebates.

Norwegians are practical people. They will naturally gravitate to the deals best for them.

Go drive the eTron Prestige trim level.

It's a luxury car that happens to run off electricity. A Tesla anything will smoke it in power and range, but even the Jaguar is lagging behind the eTron when it comes to quiet luxury.

I didn't like the performance, looks, and range. But it was a very close decision. Perhaps if the Audi dealer didn't try to play games with the numbers, I'd have bought one.

True, but Audi E-Tron is also twice the price of a Model 3.
Model X is comparable, but hardly any sales anymore.

I read in some norwegian EV blog that they expect the VW ID3 to be the best selling car of 2020 in Norway, despite starting delivery in Norway only in September, it will flood the market end of year.

One thing to keep in mind, in Norway e-Tron has two models, a 74kwh and the 95 kWh battery. The 74 kWh is significantly cheaper. Still more expensive than the model 3 I believe, but being an SUV and available without a month long wait could be enough for the edge In sales.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton

This entire newspiece has been completely DEBUNKED today on the Swedish Tesla Forum's front page.
Tesla's application for the Berlin factory was always "100.000 or more". Some so called 'journo' just got the whole thing wrong. Perhaps deliberately -- who knows... Don't know about the battery-production part though...

Source (in Swedish): Har Tesla verkligen skalat ner fabriken i Berlin? - Tesla Club Sweden

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up