Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are people buying new ICE cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are people buying new ICE cars?
Certainly the price is still a major factor.

My neighbor just bought a Mazda CX 5, it looks very similar to the Model Y about size,
but the full loaded CX 5 version was about $35k instead of $50k for the base Model Y LR AWD.

Tesla should sale again the Model Y SR which was sufficient for many people (50 kWh battery an RWD).

Last edited:
Certainly the price is still a major factor.

My neighbor just bought a Mazda CX 5, it looks very similar to the Model Y about size,
but the full loaded CX 5 version was about $35k instead of $50k for the base Model Y LR AWD.

Tesla should sale again the Model Y SR which was sufficient for many people (50 kWh battery an RWD).
You can not compare, the CX-5 is not a Bev.

A BEV is a car. An ICE vehicle is also a car. This entire thread is about why people aren't buying BEV's by the truckloads to where we have shortages and waiting lists 5 years long for a BEV. The reason above, about the CX-5, is a common one:

-The CX-5 looks *kind of* like a Model Y. That it is very different inside, performance, drivetrain-wise (and of course, the gasoline thing) is moot-many people don't go that deep into the differences especially if:

-One costs SOOO much less than the other. Price is the one factor that every other factor seems to stack against. Gotta have a really compelling reason to want a car that costs twice as much. For many on this forum, the advantages are easily spotted, but for a person on the outside, with NO BEV knowledge, they'll never get a chance to experience it, and of course, will not buy it.

-So, right on the outside, if it costs a lot more, looks almost the same, have to learn how to refuel, and it takes hours and hours (another common misconception) IF you have the ability to charge at home, oh, don't forget the buying experience of simply showing up at a dealership and be welcomed into loving arms and treated like royalty.

These numerous little things add up.

Last edited:
A BEV is a car. An ICE vehicle is also a car. This entire thread is about why people aren't buying BEV's by the truckloads to where we have shortages and waiting lists 5 years long for a BEV. The reason above, about the CX-5, is a common one:

-The CX-5 looks *kind of* like a Model Y. That it is very different inside, performance, drivetrain-wise (and of course, the gasoline thing) is moot-many people don't go that deep into the differences especially if:

-One costs SOOO much less than the other. Price is the one factor that every other factor seems to stack against. Gotta have a really compelling reason to want a car that costs twice as much. For many on this forum, the advantages are easily spotted, but for a person on the outside, with NO BEV knowledge, they'll never get a chance to experience it, and of course, will not buy it.

-So, right on the outside, if it costs a lot more, looks almost the same, have to learn how to refuel, and it takes hours and hours (another common misconception) IF you have the ability to charge at home, oh, don't forget the buying experience of simply showing up at a dealership and be welcomed into loving arms and treated like royalty.

These numerous little things add up.
My point was the cost factor, if you cannot afford $50,000 then I understand.

I talked few time in the past with my neighbor, I mentioned the advantages of EV, in particular when charging at night a $0.12 a kWh or about $9 for 300 miles,
while the CX 5 (who is not hybrid) consumption is about 30 miles a gallon at $4.12 or a total of $41.20 for 300 miles, so 4.5 more.

Driving 15,000 miles for 5 years would cost: $9 x 15,000 / 300 x 5 = $2,250.00 of electricity and $41.20 x 15,000 / 300 x 5 = $10,300.00 , or a saving of $8,000.00

Considering the resale value been 50 % (?) of the initial new car so total cost of ownership after 5 years,
such as "(new) - (old) + gas" without tires, oil change... would be:

Model Y: $50,000 - $25,000 + $2,250 = $27,250​

CX - 5: $35,000 - $17,500 + $10,300 = $27,800​

Well, sorry, I was not convincing enough to my neighbor, I even offered to use my plug, I only charge one a week now.

Also, I am also in a city where the sale of new gas-powered passenger vehicles might be ban by 2025.

Note: If Tesla still had the $40,000 Model Y SR, I believe my neighbor might had considered it...

Reactions: murc585
Most people do not look down the road at cost of ownership, I have many friends that just will not make the jump to all electric. They all could afford a Tesla but even with my information they hesitate. My wife’s brother lives outside of Atlanta and also will not buy all electric, I sent him an email and asked him if he is having fun waiting in lines at the gas station.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
More gas shortages, panic buying, per-gallon costs going over $10.00 will definitely get more people to consider electric.

This recent fuel line hack probably *flipped* a lot of people over to BEV’s.

if I’m not mistaken, one of the big reasons there are more BEV’s in Europe is their gas prices are very high.

More gas shortages, panic buying, per-gallon costs going over $10.00 will definitely get more people to consider electric.

This recent fuel line hack probably *flipped* a lot of people over to BEV’s.

if I’m not mistaken, one of the big reasons there are more BEV’s in Europe is their gas prices are very high.
Really? :) And the VAT / Sales Tax at 20% never helped.

0DB17A7A-3C7E-48FD-A133-45D6828CE8B6.png

Reactions: Ciaopec
Most people do not look down the road at cost of ownership, I have many friends that just will not make the jump to all electric. They all could afford a Tesla but even with my information they hesitate. My wife’s brother lives outside of Atlanta and also will not buy all electric, I sent him an email and asked him if he is having fun waiting in lines at the gas station.
It sounds like you preach and shame and brag... I can't imagine why people would react negatively to that.

Reactions: Daekwan
Also I think most people do not bother to do any research and learn about BEV’s, they just have a mind set that makes them continue to buy ICE cars.
People who don't buy the same product as you are... What? Stupid? Don't be so arrogant, sir. Most people out there are driving around in trucks and suvs. Their options are: nothing, and a 120k suv. Or perhaps everyone should own a tiny sedan?

And besides, most people buy used autos for under 20k. Are there 40 million EVs on used lots for 20k? No? Or should poor people simply suck it up and spend more money than they have on a car they don't want?

20% of ev buyers going back to ice because they have nowhere to charge should tell you something. Half the households in this country rent or have no garage. They cannot charge at home. That problem is not getting fixed anytime soon.

The avg tesla owner makes six figure income and owns a home. The rest of the country doesn't look like that. Don't assume it does.

Few reasons why people would buy ICE vehicles instead of BEVs:

• Vehicle price - self explanatory
  • Insurance cost - almost double compared to the cost of insuring the RDX I was considering before ordering the MY
  • Convenience - Most apartments, condos and rentees will not have the option to charge at home. Without this, owning a BEV will be a major inconvenience and you will not benefit from lower electricity costs. For example, in Raleigh, Duke Energy charges 0.095/kwh for electricity, while the Electrify America station in Cary will charge 0.43/kwh to charge at their station.
  • Reliability - BEVs haven't been around long enough to iron out all the minor (and even a few moderate) issues that most ICE vehicle buyers don't even have to think about

Regardless of all the above, I still (against my better judgement) plan on picking up my Model Y this Friday because Teslas are awesome and I want one.