Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will a ~400-mile Roadster pack become available from Tesla?

When will a ~400 mile Roadster pack upgrade become available?

• by the end of 2014

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • by the end of 2015

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • just before the Gigafactory (2016-2017)

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • NOT before the Gigafactory

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • The 1st of Never

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally think Tesla would take this opportunity to upgrade the roadsters to the latest battery technology to be compatible with the Supercharger network. The amount of work required will be significant, but there are not that many roadsters out there and it's great PR for Tesla

Ok, I'm hooked again.:redface:

Posted on TMC a long time back to say supercharging of *some* kind (even if lower kw) was really needed to bring Roadsters forward with the rest of the brand since faster charging and free access to the network itself have become some of the most defining/differentiating characteristics of the Tesla brand. (And it's odd to be able to charge at Nissan, Ford, BMW, etc. locations w/J1772 but have no charging options at Tesla-branded supercharging locations).

We have no indication that SC capability of any kind will be a part of the ~400 mile pack upgrade. But I still want it.

Returning back to timing of the pack upgrade, at 61 respondents we're now up to 5 in the end-of-2014 group, slowly creeping up on 7 in the 1st of Never group...

All has been quiet on the 400 battery front. Has anyone heard of ANY rumors about it? I was really hoping when Elon said something cool this year for Roadster owners it would have been a product not an announcement of a product. Thanks.

Last edited:
On the one hand this is very frustrating. On the other hand as long as we have decent miles on our batteries the wait should not be a problem. Model S/X are the priorities for Tesla but I don't think the 400 mile battery for the Roadster would have been spoken about if there was no reality to the product being manufactured. So chin up Roadster owners, use the power of positive thinking and hope that our patience pays off!

On the one hand this is very frustrating. On the other hand as long as we have decent miles on our batteries the wait should not be a problem. Model S/X are the priorities for Tesla but I don't think the 400 mile battery for the Roadster would have been spoken about if there was no reality to the product being manufactured. So chin up Roadster owners, use the power of positive thinking and hope that our patience pays off!

Still the 8 who voted "1st of never" are now more likely to be right than the 8 who voted "before the end of 2014" (more in hope than expectation, I imagine).

Still the 8 who voted "1st of never" are now more likely to be right than the 8 who voted "before the end of 2014" (more in hope than expectation, I imagine).

I think Musk needs to listen when he talks and makes promises. He hurts the company and his reputation when he makes promises and then delays.

X model production is pushed back. Promises on Roadster "surprise" before the close of the year seem to have been forgotten.

He seems at heart a good man, but the World respects a guy who makes promises with firm dates over a man who promises and then delays and might not deliver.

[EDIT - This is not an attack on the man. I just wish he was more concrete on his delivery dates]

Just MHO,

T

Last edited:
I think Musk needs to listen when he talks and makes promises. He hurts the company and his reputation when he makes promises and then delays.

X model production is pushed back. Promises on Roadster "surprise" before the close of the year seem to have been forgotten.

He seems at heart a good man, but the World respects a guy who makes promises with firm dates over a man who promises and then delays and might not deliver.

[EDIT - This is not an attack on the man. I just wish he was more concrete on his delivery dates]

Just MHO,

T
Perhaps it would be prudent to wait until the end of the year to complain about missing a deadline for this year?

I really don't care something I was looking to purchased that's integral to my vehicle was announced to come earlier but then was delivered at a later date. If something needs more time to test and be fully ready for the consumer market, take your time. Its when its released too early only to make word on your promise where you get into trouble. This is a big issue that Quality Assurance engineers face, telling those higher up that a product isn't quite ready and needs more time vs. getting out all due to a promised deadline. And when things are rushed in that fashion without listening to the experts they do typically fail in a bad way. So I feel Tesla's approach has been spot on waiting until its fully tested to release out into the wild, no matter if they miss the date. The people who really don't like that are the shareholders, but then if its a flop, they'd attack Tesla for letting out a product that wasn't ready. So pushing the date is the best compromise for everyone. I also agree that there's still time to this year, so anything can happen if its ready to be released.

Last edited:
I really don't care something I was looking to purchased that's integral to my vehicle was announced to come earlier but then was delivered at a later date. If something needs more time to test and be fully ready for the consumer market, take your time. Its when its released too early only to make word on your promise where you get into trouble. This is a big issue that Quality Assurance engineers face, telling those higher up that a product isn't quite ready and needs more time vs. getting out all due to a promised deadline. And when things are rushed in that fashion without listening to the experts they do typically fail in a bad way. So I feel Tesla's approach has been spot on waiting until its fully tested to release out into the wild, no matter if they miss the date. The people who really don't like that are the shareholders, but then if its a flop, they'd attack Tesla for letting out a product that wasn't ready. So pushing the date is the best compromise for everyone. I also agree that there's still time to this year, so anything can happen if its ready to be released.

Agreed. And while we'd all like to see it now, how many of us actually NEED it (and would pay for it) now? Not me. I'm waiting til my current battery has dropped to a level where my Roadster is no longer useful. And I haven't really thought about what that number is, but I do know I'm not even close to needing a replacement. So I'm happy to give them time to get it right.

Elon only announced the new pack what, 7 months ago? And likely his engineers were surprised to hear his announcement. Then they actually have to build a few, test them extensively, revise the software and make sure all the other drivetrain hardware is compatible...this is a non-trivial project! It's going to take some time.

I think it is strange that that Henry works hard and without personal profit and yet everyone pushes him to release his product (ie.: the Can II). Henry works for nothing, even losing money in the process. Heaven forbid someone do the same to billionaire Elon. He made a statement. He needs to follow up on that statement. Instead of playing games and making coy statements Mr. Musk should just be open and frank and divulge his plans for the Roadsters.

Bonnie, you seem like a dynamite person. Not all of us wish to NOT use their roadsters on 8 hour commutes. The point is if an improvement becomes available not everyone will want or not want it. I want it. You don't. Both opinions are valid.

ecarfan, my point is also that he should not open up his mouth prior to speaking to his engineering teams. Tesla stock dipped when Model X production was pushed back. A leader needs to consult the troops.

I wish you all well. None of these are meant as personal attacks. You all seem like great people.

T