Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's not to like about the model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My suggestion is when you come to a stop to pick up passengers, put the car in Park and the door handles will extend.
I usually try this first but if you park long enough this doesn't work for some reason. Which is why I have to go into the menu and hit unlock.

- - - Updated - - -

22) no spare tire

Do any high end cars come with a spare tire anymore ?
Get some of this. Fix a Flat
already in the car :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that many cars regardless of price have a spare anymore.
AAA Warns Vehicle Spare Tires May Soon be a Thing of the Past | AAA NewsRoom

Cool. I don't find it that big of a deal but some people do

This happens on low amperage USB ports and even happens for me when connected to my old MacPro. But even though it says "not charging" it will still charge (assuming the cable isn't a knock off). Run the iPad down, plug it into the tesla and give it time (takes longer but it charges). I think you'll see it gains charge.

Yes! The important thing--and anyone charging on a compute or laptop with a low power port also runs into this--is that you can't use it and charge. If you leave it 'off' (i.e., screen dark), it charges...slowly, as you say. If you have the screen on, it won't charge. It's an accurate but confusing/misleading message, but there's little space for Apple to display anything more useful like "not charging at this moment but it will when you turn off the screen." This confused the heck outta folks at my office when we got iPads a few years ago and a couple of people complained they didn't charge off our computers...they did, if folks had the screen off.

(I've charged my iPad in the car, though only a couple of times; I've charged my phone a few times, but also rarely.)

As far as the car: There are a couple of minor things that annoy me slightly, but somehow I can never remember them when asked! ;-) The only one I can remember off-hand is the bug (still not fixed in 5.9!) where the HVAC uses outside air when set to recycle under certain conditions...grumble. (Conditions are: heat on, location auto or set manually to feet, IIRC.)

- - - Updated - - -

8) B pillar juts out and pokes you getting in or out of the car and leads to excessive wear
16) Rubber seals let moisture in on all the windows in heavy rains or strong spray.. Especially near the triangle windows by the A pillar.
18) no "oh $#it" handles up front
21) windshield wipers are a little strange

Interesting list. #8 annoys me a bit. I haven't run into issues with #16; I'd talk with Service if I were you. #18...my parents want them in my car (and maybe my other half; I forget), but I don't care. #21 - not sure if this is what you mean, but IMHO the auto-wiper software needs adjustment (or the sensors are a bit quirky).

Tried this and it misses by a few inches in mine. Wonder if they shortened the "microwave" at some point?

Actually, the parcel shelf and foot well cover will fit in the frunk. Try it. Doesn't seem like they would, but they do long ways (front to back).

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't want a center console apart from the one that comes standard, as I like the open space down there. The doors are quite thick and could easily accommodate some bins, and the standard center console could have a bin that flips out the front, it seems, depending on what is in there.

Tesla is working on this one. Namely:

Shop Tesla Gear Premium Center Console

It seems it has been delayed though for some reason. But depending on if you’re on the waiting list or not, it should be available for delivery sometime during Q3.

If you’re not on the waiting list, you can just get on it now if you want to.

Also the only time I've turned on cruise control was by mistake :)

What?? In my current car I use cruise control practically all the time (and it is not adaptive, but I very rarely have any traffic during my daily commute). I plan to continue using CC a lot in my MS. The only driving I do with cruise control off is on dirt roads with a lot of potholes. Even when driving in a city I drive from traffic light to traffic light using cruise control, if possible.

I always start any trip with: Seat belt on, turn car on, arm cruise control, accelerate to speed limit, set cruise control.

I've only used cruise control twice, and the first time I thought I was going to get killed.... I didn't know the full push up on the stick increased speed by 5 mph... I was expecting 1 mph increase (like my Mercedes does). Holy cow that was scary--with the instant acceleration the car just took off.

Also, when you disable the cruise control, the regen braking kicks in right away and the car dramatically starts slowing down...... it needs a 2 second delay so you can get your foot properly on the pedal first.

-m

that it has no wireless charging feature for wireless Tesla charging pads.

I'd actually take a positive and a negative (and a pilot I suppose) terminals on the front bumper that, in my garage, I pull in to touch the bumper against a small cradle mounted on the wall. The cradle has power going to it--the terminals touch their mates on the cradle and charging begins!

Current would not flow if there was no car present (just like the UMC does now) and I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just have to keep the terminals on the car clean (brush off snow, dirt, etc). It could test for a short circuit as well if, say, the car is wet.

Of course still keep the regular tail light charging port for standard charger compatibility.

-m

Yes but with a much cooler car..... :) Thanks for that link.

Seriously, I almost made something like this for my previous car's block heater this past winter. It can't be hard to make and oh so convenient without any power loss of wireless.

-m

Along those lines... an auto-eject charge port. One of the other vehicles I drive is an ambulance. When parked at the station it is always plugged in to charge on-board equipment, maintain temperature of equipment, etc. The charge cord hangs from the ceiling and plugs in to a port on the side of the unit, when the engine is started the port pushes the cord out so you don't have to unplug it. When you return the plug is hanging at port height and you simply plug it back in as you get out of the truck. (I actually use the cord visible dangling in my side mirror to line up my parking to ensure I'm straight and far enough back)

I agree with a lot of the thoughts on this thread. I wanted to add the hot handles issue as I just experienced it this weekend and it wasn't even really hot outside. Probably only around 75 degree, but probably the sun was probably directly at the handles when my kid tried to open the door and jumped back.

I've only used cruise control twice, and the first time I thought I was going to get killed.... I didn't know the full push up on the stick increased speed by 5 mph... I was expecting 1 mph increase (like my Mercedes does). Holy cow that was scary--with the instant acceleration the car just took off.

Heh, scary if unexpected, yeah! (I presume you now know a nudge does 1 MPH up/down.) I take it the Mercedes only does 1 MPH increments and doesn't have some way to do 5 as well?

Also, when you disable the cruise control, the regen braking kicks in right away and the car dramatically starts slowing down...... it needs a 2 second delay so you can get your foot properly on the pedal first.

Yeah this takes a bit of getting used to, to put the foot on first and then disengage; I'm still not great at it. ;-( Getting better, though.

Sooo.... my car is just ordered and I received my VIN.. a few questions on several of the points/issues:

1) cruise control stalk is confusing to use and not intuitive I barely use, so ok with that.
2) moisture under tail lights Anyone else have this problem?
4) FM w/ HD enabled is awful.. Anyone else have this issue?
5) lack of storage in doors behind seats and center console I'm on waitlist for console :)
16) Rubber seals let moisture in on all the windows in heavy rains or strong spray.. Especially near the triangle windows by the A pill I live in SoCal so it shouldn't be an issue - but has anyone else had this?
17) general lack of sound deadening materials.. I suspect with some good dynomat treatment this car could be a LOT more quie Didn't Consumer Reports say the car is the most quiet car they've ever tested?
18) no "oh $#it" handles up front could be an issue in SoCal. Is this because they get hot?
20) rubber gaskets and covers on the pano already starting to show signs of drying out and becoming brittle and I garage my car at h Anyone else have this problem?
23) paint is VERY soft and easy to scratch. I took delivery of mine in the dark (because they were late getting it to me) and didn't notice it until a couple days later but I have tiny swirls everywhere on my black paintnt I was told by Santa Monica that their paint is very hard.
25) floor mats are kinda cheap and slide around everywhere due to no hook/anchor No anchor? Seriously?

Sooo.... my car is just ordered and I received my VIN.. a few questions on several of the points/issues:

1) cruise control stalk is confusing to use and not intuitive I barely use, so ok with that.
2) moisture under tail lights Anyone else have this problem?
4) FM w/ HD enabled is awful.. Anyone else have this issue?
17) general lack of sound deadening materials.. I suspect with some good dynomat treatment this car could be a LOT more quie Didn't Consumer Reports say the car is the most quiet car they've ever tested?

1) Takes getting used to (unless M-B is in your car history), but I use it all the time now.
2) Just had my latest episode of this fixed at the SC (haven't verified the fix yet, it stopped raining in the bay area ;-). There is a bulletin dealing with "water ingress" at the tail lights. Mine lead to water getting into and dripping from the bottom of the tailgate.
4) Weak RF signal results in distorted echoing "hollow" HD sound. It's worst in a weak RF area where it keeps switching back and forth between HD and standard FM.
17) Road noise, i.e. "loud" road surface is more audible than in other premium cars I've been in.

Tesla used an off the shelf Mercedes component here, and from all I have gathered it behaves exactly like the one in the Mercedes cars. It's not bad per-se, it's just very different from what many people are used to. That said, anyone coming from a Mercedes should feel right at home. (The descriptions have been that it behaves exactly the same way my old Mercedes did 30 years ago, so obviously MB thinks it's a good system to have stuck with it, even if other people aren't so sure)

I don't like the placement of the cruise control. I've confused it with the turn signal numerous times.

I have a newer car and my tail lights had moisture in them after the first rain. Taking it to the service center this Friday.

The oh-**** handles are the handles inside most cars on the roof, where people tend to hang clothes or grab on when people drive fast. The hot handles are the actual door handles when facing direct sunlight.

I had Opti-coat pro put on my car to deal with the paint issue.

No anchors on the mats, I have to see if they shift around or not.