Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhance Auto - aka S3XY buttons working on something interesting for refreshed S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two types of delay - at statup and at every press.
- At statup is the bigger delay which will be resolved with the new gen Buttons (which will not go to deep sleep). The battery will be drained a bit faster but at least should last around 1.5 years so not a big deal.
- At every press is observed only when you set a second action to the button like Long or Double press. This is by design because we have to wait 200-300ms to check if you intend to execute the Long/Double press or just make a single press. In this case the Action for the Single press is executed 200-300ms after you release the button. For instance the action if there is no Long/Double press set to the button is executed immediately on the button press. We don't wait to release the button and the action execution is without any delay.
Hope that helps with the explanation about the delay! We should have added this to the app but we are not sure how to explain it in a simple way. Any suggestions are welcome. 🙂

Hey Dimitar, the usual UI design solution to delay #2 is to activate the click action (e.g. select a folder) immediately on click, then activate the double-click action (e.g. open the folder) if/when it's followed soon enough by a second click.

For long-press, the usual design either activates the first action on press, then the second action if/when it turns into a long-press, or activate the first action if/when the press turns into a click or instead activate the second action when it turns into a long-press.

This approach does require picking a first action that you don't mind activating before the second action. That tends to be a good choice anyway for user memory and for when we get sidetracked on the way to the second click or long-press.

Fantastic news on this product! It'll fix the gotcha in Tesla's design. I hope you sell lots of them! ❤️

And when you start the new threads (outside the Model Y sub-forum?) for S3XY Knob and Stalks (and Buttons?), please link to them from here so we can easily find them.

One more idea, can you put twist buttons to the left stalk, e.g. to adjust wiper speed?

This approach does require picking a first action that you don't mind activating before the second action
Exactly... and with our features most of the time, you don't want to activate an action unintentionally when looking to activate another one. Maybe there are use cases where it's not a big deal or where we can tweak it to redo the action but they are limited and I guess this implementation will cause more trouble than we have now. We might consider it as a configuration for people who want to experiment with this approach ;)

@dimitar.ns Are there any updates you can share about the "S3XY Stalks" (or whatever the product will be called) for the Palladium S/X? Apologies if they're posted somewhere and I've somehow missed it.

Thanks!

Bruce.

EDIT: I should mention that this post was made as "just another TMC member" and not in my role as a moderator.

Last edited: