Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhance Auto - aka S3XY buttons working on something interesting for refreshed S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
To many of you it probably is no secret I hate the lack of stalks. To say I've pestered the maker of S3XY buttons about this a few times would be an understatement. I probably ping them more often then I see if the track package is back in stock for my S. Anyway I received some very interesting news from them.

Apparently they are currently trying to make stalks that will allow using the turn signals, gear shifting and other smart actions. They are going for an OEM look and feel.

I want to be at the top of that notification list if this works out. This will solve the most irritating remains aspect of the S for me, and coming from a company whose products I already love. If the did some smart integration on top of giving me stalks back, it might have almost been worth the hassle to lose them in the first place. If Tesla wants to be really innovative they should hire these people and think outside the box a bit more.

Not a lot of magic left in Tesla compared to just a few years ago. At least for building products that inspire and delight me anyway.

Ask them how they are going to get around their unacceptable delay that has been reported by S3XY button owners for things like the horn activation. That seems like a tough core issue to solve before the stalks would be useable.

You're assuming the stalks would work the same as the buttons do. I didn't see anything implying that.

Bruce.

You're assuming the stalks would work the same as the buttons do. I didn't see anything implying that.

Bruce.

Well, if they are not going to use the same core technology that they use for their S3XY buttons, then that would be the answer to my question. I never implied they couldn't take a different approach, I merely asked what they plan to do about the delay that would be unacceptable for turn signals and horn. Let's find out what they are going to do, because if they decide to sell a product with a big delay, then I won't even get my hopes up.

Reactions: bmah
There is direct canBUS and LIN access (and 12V power) on the back of the clockspring module connector behind the steering wheel, that is the logical place to inject signals. The clockspring module in the refreshed S/X is mechanically identical to the current Model3/Y as well, except no stalks. At least one person has managed to swap them over, you need to do some microcontroller magic to make it all work though.

This is great news. I have no immediate plans to replace my 2019, but someday I'll probably cave in. It's nice that Tesla now offers a real wheel, and I could probably get used to the turn signals, but shifting on the screen is for the birds. Even a slight delay would probably be faster than reaching out and swiping.

This is great news. I have no immediate plans to replace my 2019, but someday I'll probably cave in. It's nice that Tesla now offers a real wheel, and I could probably get used to the turn signals, but shifting on the screen is for the birds. Even a slight delay would probably be faster than reaching out and swiping.
If they do a direct connection to the bus (no Bluetooth or other wireless link), there should be no delay.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Ask them how they are going to get around their unacceptable delay that has been reported by S3XY button owners for things like the horn activation. That seems like a tough core issue to solve before the stalks would be useable.
Delay is due to button wake up time. As those buttons are BLE, the button is in sleep mode to preserve power, and it only wakes up and connects when you press it. Repetitive pressing will make the delay almost non existing. Higley likely for the stalks project the implementation will be different, that's all I can say :)

Hope your guess is right.
We already solved the issue with the delay, it will require you to change the battery every year (instead of every 2-3 years like now) but at least it's a start and you will be covered in emergency situations. We could also do it as an option so people can prefer a fast reaction or long battery life.
For the stalks on the other hand we will not have such issues at all. It depends on how we will implement it but it will be either a bigger battery or a direct power from the car's 12V circuit. Stalks will be constantly connected to he Commander and always ready to activate the turn signal immediately.

We already solved the issue with the delay, it will require you to change the battery every year (instead of every 2-3 years like now) but at least it's a start and you will be covered in emergency situations. We could also do it as an option so people can prefer a fast reaction or long battery life.
For the stalks on the other hand we will not have such issues at all. It depends on how we will implement it but it will be either a bigger battery or a direct power from the car's 12V circuit. Stalks will be constantly connected to he Commander and always ready to activate the turn signal immediately.

Great news!

What are your plans to add following distance for AP and suspension raising to the buttons?

Great news!

What are your plans to add following distance for AP and suspension raising to the buttons?
Following distance is not possible for S and X currently. We can do it for the 3 and Y but so far there were no requests for this and it's not a priority.
Suspension control will come soon, it will require additional hardware and new connection but it will be possible with the buttons in few weeks. I think by this time we might be able to do the follow distance for S and X too but can't promise.

Number one priority for me, is gearshift buttons for the S. That would take me over until there are stalks.

After that would be following distance for the S.

If there was someway to dial up the regen past the stock amount that would be a big plus and be able to go between that setting and no regen at all. Sometimes I just want to coast for better efficiency.

Last edited: