Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What version of Used Model X would you recommend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a M3 2018 MR. We also have another EV (Nissan Leaf) that is primairly used as a commute car. We like the EAP and have taken road trips in M3, but due to the low range, it is inconvenient to keep charging it.

We would like to get a Model X, but don't want to spend the money to buy a brand new car. So we are considering used Model X.

Our priorities are
- range
- fast charging
- FSD
- quiet

Not our priority
- performance
- color preference
- AWD

Budget would be $60k out the door that limits our options. I have briefly looked at the used inventory on Tesla and Carvana (link), and seems like we could find some options.

I haven't researched all the versions of model X out there, but is there a specific config that would be better for us?

If you buy any X before 2022, you will be disappointed. The 22+ X's have 250kw charging and phone as a key with keycards.

If you do say a 2020 X, you must carry a fob and your highest charging power may be around 210kw. Earlier models are even less. Look up "Raven" and that is what is before the Refresh 22 models to present. No Bluetooth phone key, and key cards. You will miss them from the M3's

If you buy any X before 2022, you will be disappointed. The 22+ X's have 250kw charging and phone as a key with keycards.

If you do say a 2020 X, you must carry a fob and your highest charging power may be around 210kw. Earlier models are even less. Look up "Raven" and that is what is before the Refresh 22 models to present. No Bluetooth phone key, and key cards. You will miss them from the M3's

Without disputing any of the above, the Palladium Model X (2022 and newer) lose standard turn signal and gear selector stalks. For me that makes switching between the X and, well, any other car a bit jarring.

Bruce.

The 22+ X's have 250kw charging and phone as a key with keycards
Good to know.

We have a 1/18 m3lr, 70k and 80% is 241 miles
Our 2017 x100d about same mileage , 90% 245
Not sure the range you desire, even newer ones probably less than 300 at 90%.
We were hoping for atleast 300 mile range since our M3 is at around 230 right now. And the car is too small for longer trips where we may have more luggage.

Currently have a M3 2018 MR. We also have another EV (Nissan Leaf) that is primairly used as a commute car. We like the EAP and have taken road trips in M3, but due to the low range, it is inconvenient to keep charging it.

We would like to get a Model X, but don't want to spend the money to buy a brand new car. So we are considering used Model X.

Our priorities are
- range
- fast charging
- FSD
- quiet

Not our priority
- performance
- color preference
- AWD

Budget would be $60k out the door that limits our options. I have briefly looked at the used inventory on Tesla and Carvana (link), and seems like we could find some options.

I haven't researched all the versions of model X out there, but is there a specific config that would be better for us?
What's your timeframe? Used 2022s are in the mid 60s give it some time and the deals will get better BUT if you need to pull the trigger soon definitely look for a used 2022 if you can muster up an extra 3-4k they're out there

Reactions: jboy210 and nmc4680
Don’t get a used one. The new ones are priced low enough and you really want the warranty. To give you an idea a broken ac compressor will cost you upwards of 4-6k from the sc. that’s just one of the many big ticket items. Don’t do it.

With 2018 model X. We like it. We've only owned a model s, December 2014, and a Kia soul Ev. So, for whatever it's worth. Also, if you have enhanced you can now get the full self-driving for only 2K more. I think that's so good deal. Already ordered it for mine. (Bought it, and set up a service appointment for the free hardware update.)

Don’t get a used one. The new ones are priced low enough and you really want the warranty. To give you an idea a broken ac compressor will cost you upwards of 4-6k from the sc. that’s just one of the many big ticket items. Don’t do it.
If he wants new he’ll have to wait for a massive price drop he said his total OTD price was 60k. Bang for buck would be a used refresh maybe 3-4 months from now. Prices should align then

2021 long rang plus has the most range of any x. 371 miles range, still has stalks and vertical screen if you care about that. Order from Tesla and get an extra year warranty.

Cheapest option (with a warranty) would be to purchase a 2017 and an Xcare warranty. Lots of reasons not to do this but depends on your financial preferences.

2021 long rang plus has the most range of any x. 371 miles range, still has stalks and vertical screen if you care about that. Order from Tesla and get an extra year warranty.

Cheapest option (with a warranty) would be to purchase a 2017 and an Xcare warranty. Lots of reasons not to do this but depends on your financial preferences.
Piggybacking this as well because you can get a 2021 in the lower 50s and high 40s while also having enough funds to purchase xcare and keep you under 60k OTD price. If you can’t find one at Tesla then search nationwide on autotrader or cargurus. I would go there in person and check it out or get a PPI if it’s too far and then have it shipped. Stay away from north east coast dealers they price their cars to the MAX

Reactions: nmc4680