Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other competitor vehicles (gas/hybrid/ev) would you consider buying after owning a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After owning a Y I have a few complaints that may me wonder what other car I could get instead since I was offered a high trade in value. I was considering the Audi e-tron or waiting for a rivian.

If you owned a Y, what other car would you consider?

I went to test drive the top of the line Volvo XC90 Recharge and that car was horrible.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tachyon
After owning a Y I have a few complaints that may me wonder what other car I could get instead....
What kind of issues?

For similar price to the Model Y, you can find more luxury but I don't think you can find better efficiency and range?

Note: You might be interested watching the latest Bjørn Nyland video #76 Road trip to Stavanger in Audi e-tron GT but costs 2 to 3 times the Model Y.

What kind of issues?

For similar price to the Model Y, you can find more luxury but I don't think you can find better efficiency and range?

Note: You might be interested watching the latest Bjørn Nyland video #76 Road trip to Stavanger in Audi e-tron GT but costs 2 to 3 times the Model Y.

Not major issues, minor ones such as the doors not closing unless I slam it hard (service center says it's normal and have to "break" in the door seals), condensation in tail lights (service center says it's normal if it evaporates), interior panels are warped.

Things I wish it had and missed coming from a luxury brand. No noise cancellation, my ears hurt from time to time due to the boominess and pressure coming from the rear. No applecarplay, an actual blind spot notification system/light, noisy cabin and 360 birds eye camera for parking. It seems the e-tron have all these but nothing beats the Tesla charging network and speed...yet.

Not major issues, minor ones such as the doors not closing unless I slam it hard (service center says it's normal and have to "break" in the door seals), condensation in tail lights (service center says it's normal if it evaporates), interior panels are warped.

Things I wish it had and missed coming from a luxury brand. No noise cancellation, my ears hurt from time to time due to the boominess and pressure coming from the rear. No applecarplay, an actual blind spot notification system/light, noisy cabin and 360 birds eye camera for parking. It seems the e-tron have all these but nothing beats the Tesla charging network and speed...yet.
Some of these are things I’m concerned with coming from a 2019 SQ5. I’ll probably miss my ventilated seats the most.

I’ve test driven the e-tron (had it for a day during the Audi test drive event) and model y. I’m going with an MYP.

The e-tron was very nice inside and out. It had a familiar feel to my SQ5. Refreshed interior was very nice and I like the function of the screens. Smooth and linear power delivery. Nothing that really pushes you back though. It’s about as fast to 60 as my SQ5, but the SQ has that push when the turbo kicks in. Overall a very nice vehicle and Audi did an excellent job with keeping it familiar.

model Y - I was concerned with road noise and fit and finish coming from an Audi. People had commented on harshness. It was about as firm as the SQ in Dynamic (sport) mode. So no issues there. I jumped on the highway and had it up to about 85. Wasn’t any louder than my SQ, which is to say it was pretty quiet and comfortable. I tested the radio and talked at a normal voice and wasn’t overpowered by the noise at all. Seats are comfy to sit in, but definitely don’t hold you in place like the Audi sport seats. I’ll miss the ventilated seats in the Texas summer. The power…my god that is addicting. It’s so fast. Definitely what I’m missing today.

All in all I’m really looking forward to the MYP. The charging network is the best and range is hard to beat when you need to go longer between charging or on trips.

Some of these are things I’m concerned with coming from a 2019 SQ5. I’ll probably miss my ventilated seats the most.
Second the ventilated seats, that was probably the worst part of our recent 2500 mile road trip. Would have rather had cloth seats tbh. After a 1/2 day in 90 degree weather the seats get a bit miserable. I was thinking the whole time about buying one of those cabby wooden roller things from the 90s.

Reactions: mark95476
I wonder if tossing a couple pillows into the rear of the Y would absorb some of the "boominess and pressure". Interesting that Model X doesn't seem to have that problem, even with a larger "boom" box. I would think that, as all cars have ventilation to the outside at the rear of the car, the car would not boom. Maybe you have something blocking the rear vent outlet?

I personally would not pay for "applecarplay", so I'm glad they don't charge me for it, presuming everyone wants it. As for blind spot notification, I use a wide angle blind spot mirror stuck to the area of my mirror that reflects my car. Wanting notification seems like you'd want that for any cars reflected in your mirror, whereas I just look over and see who's coming and who's there. And you need 360 degree view to park? You must do a lot of parking. Or maybe you don't, seeing you think you need help. Like training wheels on a first bike, maybe.

I think you ought to buy the e-Tron. I wave at all e-Trons when I pass them. Personally, driving the S, I would say Tesla is a Luxury Brand. To each their own.

I wonder if tossing a couple pillows into the rear of the Y would absorb some of the "boominess and pressure". Interesting that Model X doesn't seem to have that problem, even with a larger "boom" box. I would think that, as all cars have ventilation to the outside at the rear of the car, the car would not boom. Maybe you have something blocking the rear vent outlet?

I personally would not pay for "applecarplay", so I'm glad they don't charge me for it, presuming everyone wants it. As for blind spot notification, I use a wide angle blind spot mirror stuck to the area of my mirror that reflects my car. Wanting notification seems like you'd want that for any cars reflected in your mirror, whereas I just look over and see who's coming and who's there. And you need 360 degree view to park? You must do a lot of parking. Or maybe you don't, seeing you think you need help. Like training wheels on a first bike, maybe.

I think you ought to buy the e-Tron. I wave at all e-Trons when I pass them. Personally, driving the S, I would say Tesla is a Luxury Brand. To each their own.
I think the point is the blind spots on the Y are kinda big, maybe it’s only for taller people. Little indicator lights on the mirrors have been fairly standard for years and work great. I too bought a stick on mirror, but a safety orientated car should have the lights.

I always mocked 360 camera view. I’m not paying 1100 for a stupid “360 view”. Then my wife got it in a few cars and I’ll tell you it’s literally one of the best features that’s been developed in the past 10-15 years. Being able to see lines, front distance, etc when you’re in a tight spot or maneuvering is really nice. Small car like a Y it’s not necessary but I wouldn’t be mad at it, especially in some of the garages I have to try and charge in. But a large SUV it’s a feature you should get.

Having owned 3 different Gen 4 Prii (Priusesseses, 2017, 2 2018) I have to say (gulp) that they're bullet proof, easy to achieve 58-60mpg all day long. HATE the squishy ride, but overall, they're very balanced. I tried but could never own any previous gen Prius, but Toyota got it right with this generation...(just in time for them to become obsolete???)

You can buy TWO well appointed used Gen 4 Prius for the price of ONE MY!

Little indicator lights on the mirrors have been fairly standard for years and work great.
It is really a surprise that the MY doesn't have that.

I had a 40kW battery Nissan Leaf and loved it, but I needed much more range and so took the opportunity to also step up with respect to comfort and appointments. I considered the Ford Mach-e (but lacks a heat pump), the Audi e-tron (quite inefficient, even though the range is good), and the Ioniq 5 (also not yet available)......but chose the MY because of the space, efficiency, and my test drives.

Reactions: dogmodes

Tossing a few gel memory foam pillows in each wheel well behind the trunk plastic lining didn’t do anything I tried and nothing was blocking the vent outlet, I checked function.

As for your 360 camera comment if I need it? No one needs it, no one needs a $50-60k electric car either. Once you’ve used one it’s a luxury you’ll miss and it’s really helpful. Like go back on your training bike... off a bridge maybe or maybe not.

I don’t consider Tesla a luxury brand maybe a premium brand but let’s not drink the koolaid, while it’s a great car it’s nowhere near luxury, features and quality wise.

I had an i3 for three years, and it was a great commuting car (I could go between 100 and 125 miles on a charge, which was fine for my daily commute of 30 miles round trip). You used to be able to buy used i3’s for $20k, which I think is a bargain for a small electric. And they have a small gas powered generator so in a pinch you could get another 80 miles on two gallons of gas (I didn’t use the generator more than twice a year).

I’ve had my Y for 6 months now and it’s a huge upgrade in terms of size and range compared with the i3. Though it’s not the most comfortable car.

In terms of luxury in the same size range, the e-tron is the only other SUVish electric I considered. At the time I bought my Y, the long range Y was $49k and the e-tron was $64k after the Federal rebate. My daughter has owned an e-tron for over a year and it’s more comfortable then my Y, especially for passengers. I always look forward to driving the e-tron when I visit. It’s an Audi, but electric. I went with the Y for the touted range of 300+ miles, but in reality I’m getting at most 250 miles per charge which is about what my daughter is getting with her e-tron.

Reactions: skiwhmts
I don’t consider Tesla a luxury brand maybe a premium brand but let’s not drink the koolaid,
I agree - it's luxurious compared to a Chevy or Hyundai, but it's not a luxury brand. I think that it was the most luxurious of the longer-range electric vehicles, and so took on the cache of being very special, but now that there are truly luxurious electric options that will take you beyond puttering around the city, the public needs a reality check.

Had I been willing to pay for a luxury electric (even considering the cost of the e-tron was giving me jitters), I would have seriously looked at the Jaguar I-Pace or the Polestar (I hear the Porsche Taycan is a great luxury BEV, but I don't like the "sports car" look).

I agree - it's luxurious compared to a Chevy or Hyundai, but it's not a luxury brand. I think that it was the most luxurious of the longer-range electric vehicles, and so took on the cache of being very special, but now that there are truly luxurious electric options that will take you beyond puttering around the city, the public needs a reality check.

Had I been willing to pay for a luxury electric (even considering the cost of the e-tron was giving me jitters), I would have seriously looked at the Jaguar I-Pace or the Polestar (I hear the Porsche Taycan is a great luxury BEV, but I don't like the "sports car" look).
I would take it further. We have latest Hyundai Santa Fe and I feel it is more luxurious than Tesla.
It has:
- Ventilated seats
- Birds eye view including front camera
- Panoramic roof WITH shade
- retractable trunk cover
- CarPlay
- Had Up display
- better finish, gaps, comparable leather and plastic quality
- No noises or "boom" effects
- stock 3 garage opener
- came with PPF on rear doors and trunk
- and was heavily discounted by almost 20% of MSRP 😲

Reactions: Daekwan
But luxury isn't just a pile of features you find useful - at least that's not my definition of luxury. YMMV.
But that is exactly how Lexus is different from Toyota.
Same engine same Toyota parts.
The difference are features.
Don't get me wrong I love MY but I don't think it deserves to be called Luxury. For me it is "electric Camry".

Last edited:
Same engine same Toyota parts.
The difference are features.
No difference in space, air flow, climate control, seats (shape/size), controls, materials (wear/durability), etc? I'll be surprised, but I'll admit I don't know specifically about Lexuses....but I do know luxury cars generally offer more of those integral things that aren't just add-on features like a trunk cover, PPF, or a garage door opener. If they don't, I'm not sure I'd call them luxury cars - they're just a well-featured car (even if a premium car). As you said, I don't consider the MY a luxury car either, no matter how many features they add on.