Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if Tesla goes bankrupt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hypothetically a complete shutdown would most likely never, ever happen. Tesla as a company would most likely be sold or acquired (at a discount) by some other company (or investment group) and would keep all those services running. Maybe firmware updates would slow down or stop, but the ongoing services like supercharging and app access would continue.

Also, if that were to happen, I'm sure that Tesla would send out a final firmware update to make sure the cars don't brick themselves when they can't phone home.

If hypothetically, Tesla goes bankrupt, with the company completely shuts down with no employee working, what would happen to the Teslas on the road as far as software update and charging? What about services like live view camera?
How much of our cars would be functional?
Please describe .briefly in detail. the sociological implication of the end of the world.

If hypothetically, Tesla goes bankrupt, with the company completely shuts down with no employee working, what would happen to the Teslas on the road as far as software update and charging? What about services like live view camera?
They'd be sold to another company that would offer whatever they'd want to offer.

Back when Tesla was _actually_ struggling, trying to improve the Model 3 production the prospect of bankruptcy made me hold off buying. Not because I thought the company would be liquidated, but because I didn't know _who_ would buy the company and there are some companies I don't want to deal with. But, Tesla got a new, properly-automated line built at Fremont that July in a Sprung structure, and the rest is history.

What if the Detroit manufacturers go bankrupt.

Wait, some did. But they are still around. With about $16B in cash on hand, doesn't seem to be imminent.

If hypothetically, you didn’t concern yourself with hypotheticals, you might see the benefits of moving through life living in the present rather than through made up fictional futures. Hypothetically of course because everyone loves a good worse-case-scenario-my-imagination-can-go-places-reality-never-does-hypothetical.

What if the Detroit manufacturers go bankrupt.

Wait, some did.
The worst case in recent history for cars sold in the US was when Daewoo went bankrupt, and there was no parts and service support for the cars it had sold (so customers and mechanics often turned to salvage yards as their only option to get parts). Eventually, the remnant of the company was acquired by GM, but GM did not provide parts and service support for old Daewoo cars. This is unlike GM's bankruptcy, where the new GM continued some parts and service support for discontinued GM brands from the old GM.

However, a Daewoo-like event could have more implications now, since Teslas and most other cars these days have some sort of network connectivity or telematics, so that shutting down could have a greater effect (e.g. no voice commands for Teslas).

Hypothetically a complete shutdown would most likely never, ever happen. Tesla as a company would most likely be sold or acquired (at a discount) by some other company (or investment group) and would keep all those services running. Maybe firmware updates would slow down or stop, but the ongoing services like supercharging and app access would continue.

Also, if that were to happen, I'm sure that Tesla would send out a final firmware update to make sure the cars don't brick themselves when they can't phone home.
Yeah but what if? LOL!

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
There have been many hardware vendors who sold products that need constant remote support to be operational, and those vendors went out of business, or just decided to end support for the product. Sometimes this results in the product being bricked after a period of time. Sometimes the product can operate in some more limited way without hearing from HQ. I would hope that would be the case for a Tesla, though some things like traffic data, cloud-based navigation etc. would cease to work, just as they do when you go out of the cell network. If anybody has taken a Tesla for a long time out into the country away from all connectivity, they could find out if, after a long period of time, something fails. No updates of course.

Ideally, companies who sell products of this sort should put their source code and other things into escrow, to be released to a buyer or the open source community if the company dies. But few do.

As others note, some other company might take over the task and buy those assets. It would probably start charging a higher monthly fee for basic connectivity, probably more than the $10 you pay for premium connectivity. Now that other companies can charge at SC, somebody would keep them operating, possibly at higher prices.

Software updates might be much less likely.

The cars don’t need to phone home (consider how bad of a design that would be if a car was bricked if it couldn’t access Teslas servers!)
I said “to make sure…” that the cars don’t brick themselves. Tesla software engineering isn’t the best out there these days and who knows what single line of code wouldn’t fail if the car couldn’t connect to HQ after some unknown period of time.

Teslas are chock full of “bad design.” See: rain sensing wipers or auto high beams for example.

You’ve got more of a chance of rivian failing and everyone losing warranty than a company that’s survived many ‘first of its kind’ product launches.

Teslas are chock full of “bad design.” See: rain sensing wipers or auto high beams for example.
This seems much worse on a 2023 model 3 than a 2019 model 3. Never understood why people said this, until renting a 23. Now I understand the hatred.
US was when Daewoo went bankrupt
Pontiac, Saturn, and hummer have all entered the chat.
Are we time traveling back to 2019?
2009* FIXt. 😂
Tesla software engineering isn’t the best out there these days
Ford and Rivian software teams are no better, and arguably worse.

2x rivian OTA updates bricked cars late last year. How many tesla updates bricked every car that updated, in the entire lifetime of tesla OTA updates?

Reactions: Lance From Jax