Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you make of the thinner Supercharging Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharging isn't less efficient than the built in chargers. In fact they are the exact same chargers. The only difference is that in a Supercharger there are up to 13 working at the same time. The efficiency is the same, the total power is of course higher. That means the total amount of heat loss is higher. But again, efficiency is not an absolute amount, rather its the ratio between what gets into the battery vs what is lost. That ratio is not changed in a Supercharger. There is just a higher amount of energy that needs to be dealt with.

Also, a thinner copper wire is actually less efficient at carrying current, so more heat than a thicker cable. More power input is needed to compensate for this to make the power reaching the car be normal. We could likely be talking about multiple kW worth of power being wasted as heat here.
Add on top of the above points the overall additional complexity of having a pump, coolant, radiator, thermal monitoring, etc etc to each pedestal... and honestly this just seems like a bad idea all around. They've taken something simple (a set of wires) and turned it into a pretty complex piece of equipment in comparison.
Kudos for making it, though. It is a nifty idea. It just seems like over engineering, IMO.

Yeah, I am not sure this point was understood by all. As you make the conductive wire thinner and thinner, there would be more resistance, and so more energy wasted as heat, reducing overall charging efficiency. I suppose keeping the wire cooler helps somewhat... If you circulated liquid helium and turned it into a superconductor you could probably use hair thin wire.... I assume the new SCs just take away excessive heat, but don't try to cool the wire below ambient temps. (In others words, no air-conditioning compressor / chiller inside.) I don't know the resistance difference between the new cooler/thinner wire, and the old fatter/hotter wire. Also, we don't know if the materials are the same. For instance, if the old wire was aluminum, and the new wire was silver you could get away with thinner wire and have the same resistance. (But, I am just assuming both old and new are copper, but who knows - metallurgy could be part of this change.)

Anyways, I find this whole effort to be somewhat exciting and intriguing. Tesla (in general) is never satisfied with their current products and is always working on ways to make improvements. I don't think we (as general consumers) were seeing this possibility or making noise asking for it, but Tesla cooked up some magic in their R&D and now we get to see if it pushes the whole industry forward. The previous generation charging infrastructure from the 1990s ("Avcon" & "Paddle") were not properly maintained and generally fell into states of disrepair since most sites had no champion to keep them maintained. Tesla has a growing base of SC equipment that will require a continued level of maintenance to keep the whole system running. I think the overall reliability (say for instance if it was 3 years MTBF instead of 8 years MTBF) is really incidental compared to having staff available to go out and fix things when they go wrong. I think gasoline pumps are more complex, and a lot of mechanical things to go wrong, but you generally don't see gas stations with many broken pumps. They fix problems right away when something goes wrong. I think a critical factor is that Tesla owns and maintains (nearly) all of the SCs. If they just gave them away and expected others to maintain them, I think we would have a lot less hope that they will be reliably maintained.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am not sure this point was understood by all. As you make the conductive wire thinner and thinner, there would be more resistance, and so more energy wasted as heat, reducing overall charging efficiency. I suppose keeping the wire cooler helps somewhat... If you circulated liquid helium and turned it into a superconductor you could probably use hair thin wire.... I assume the new SCs just take away excessive heat, but don't try to cool the wire below ambient temps. (In others words, no air-conditioning compressor / chiller inside.) I don't know the resistance difference between the new cooler/thinner wire, and the old fatter/hotter wire. Also, we don't know if the materials are the same. For instance, if the old wire was aluminum, and the new wire was silver you could get away with thinner wire and have the same resistance. (But, I am just assuming both old and new are copper, but who knows - metallurgy could be part of this change.)

Anyways, I find this whole effort to be somewhat exciting and intriguing. Tesla (in general) is never satisfied with their current products and is always working on ways to make improvements. I don't think we (as general consumers) were seeing this possibility or making noise asking for it, but Tesla cooked up some magic in their R&D and now we get to see if it pushes the whole industry forward. The previous generation charging infrastructure from the 1990s ("Avcon" & "Paddle") were not properly maintained and generally fell into states of disrepair since most sites had no champion to keep them maintained. Tesla has a growing base of SC equipment that will require a continued level of maintenance to keep the whole system running. I think the overall reliability (say for instance if it was 3 years MTBF instead of 8 years MTBF) is really incidental compared to having staff available to go out and fix things when they go wrong. I think gasoline pumps are more complex, and a lot of mechanical things to go wrong, but you generally don't see gas stations with many broken pumps. They fix problems right away when something goes wrong. I think a critical factor is that Tesla owns and maintains (nearly) all of the SCs. If they just gave them away and expected others to maintain them, I think we would have a lot less hope that they will be reliably maintained.

The gas station analogy is interesting... I generally don't see gas stations that are automated with no human staff nearby or human staff that would be thousands of miles away when/if something happened.

I'll be interested to see where this whole liquid cooled cable thing goes.

I like what they are doing. Imagine what power they can put through if they keep the same size cable with liquid cooling?

I remember when Elon was saying charging power greater than 120KW is not in the foreseeable future for tesla. Guess this is another point he is changing his stance on.

I hope there will be a day where you can plug in for 5 - 10 minutes and get from 10% to 80% SOC for another 200+ miles range. Right now with 120KW-135KW charging rate, you are looking at around 340 miles per hour. At 200+ miles in 5 - 10 minutes, you are looking at 1000 miles per hour, a 3x increase in charging speed or probably 500KW charging. That would be when gasoline will be obsolete because now EV are exactly like gas car. You juice up in 5 - 10 minutes and you are on your way.

I am excited to see what they can do about increase the charging speed.

In terms of what I underlined in No2D's comment, JB Straubel said about two years ago that Tesla is looking to get SuperCharging down to 5-10 minutes. He did say it was quite challenging, and not something we would see near term, but it was clear Tesla aspires to make this happen.

fwiw, I agree, this is very exciting. Too those of us at TMC it's pretty clear that EVs like Tesla's are better than ICE, but I suspect getting SuperCharging under 15 minutes will make this pretty clear to the bulk of the general public. All ICE cars will have left as a selling point will be the roar of the engine that some people like (I'm assuming by the time SuperCharging is that fast, you'll be able to buy Tesla's with ~400 miles of range).

It's not going to happen with the current cells. They won't suck up juice at those rates and get very very hot when they take in what they can (~1.6C most I've seen in testing).

I plan to do some more testing on this when I have time and can do so safely (like, inside a well fire proofed enclosure).

It's not going to happen with the current cells. They won't suck up juice at those rates and get very very hot when they take in what they can (~1.6C most I've seen in testing).

I plan to do some more testing on this when I have time and can do so safely.

Makes sense. It wont be too long until there are new cells... no guarantee that a particular new iteration will be able to take higher charging rates, but something they undoubtably consider. fwiw, I think we're on the cusp of a new cell with GF production about to start within a year (some think the 70D already has it), and based on a couple of different clues from Tesla I'd guess the next new cell will be used beginning about 2019-2020.

The gas station analogy is interesting... I generally don't see gas stations that are automated with no human staff nearby or human staff that would be thousands of miles away when/if something happened.

I'll be interested to see where this whole liquid cooled cable thing goes.

Really?

You don't have automated, unmanned gas stations where you live?

- - - Updated - - -

Makes sense. It wont be too long until there are new cells... no guarantee that a particular new iteration will be able to take higher charging rates, but something they undoubtably consider. fwiw, I think we're on the cusp of a new cell with GF production about to start within a year (some think the 70D already has it), and based on a couple of different clues from Tesla I'd guess the next new cell will be used beginning about 2019-2020.

In addition to the 70D, there is also the upcoming Model X reveal. It could include a new battery with new cells. Or it could not.

Really?

You don't have automated, unmanned gas stations where you live?

The closest we get are some stations that allow at-pump credit card payments to use them after hours. And generally these ones are wired to the brim with security cameras and such. For the most part the stations are manned.

In NJ it is actually illegal to pump your own gasoline and you must let an attendant do it for you.

The closest we get are some stations that allow at-pump credit card payments to use them after hours. And generally these ones are wired to the brim with security cameras and such. For the most part the stations are manned.

In NJ it is actually illegal to pump your own gasoline and you must let an attendant do it for you.

Thank you for sharing.

This is one part I really love about TMC, getting to share on a global scale and hearing different perspectives.

FWIW, I've visited unmanned, fully automated gas stations in several European countries. They actually look a bit like those Superchargers with roofs. There is usually no other building, just the tanks under a roof.

Here is a photo of a UK one. It is an urban location, but they can be in non-urban surroundings as well.

Filling station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kudos for making it, though. It is a nifty idea. It just seems like over engineering, IMO.
I love seeing this quote from this particular author. :)

- - - Updated - - -

JB Straubel said about two years ago that Tesla is looking to get SuperCharging down to 5-10 minutes.
I don't remember the exact wording but I think it was something like "refueling". My recollection is that this was answered by swapping not by faster charging.

I suggest you double check your sources.
Just because a car has chademo or CCS plug it does not mean it will charge at maximum power the standard describes.
Heck, there are even plenty chademo chargers that cannot deliver full power that standard describes, just about 20kW and overheat when a car demands that power for a longer period.

Here's some real world data from a Renault Zoe showing it pulling 42kW continuous from 8% to 72% SOC. It has a 22kWh battery.

The highest real-world example I could find for a Nissan Leaf is 44kW DC from a CHAdeMO point. It has a 24kWh battery.

Both of these represent considerably higher C rates than the Model S permits.

I love seeing this quote from this particular author. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember the exact wording but I think it was something like "refueling". My recollection is that this was answered by swapping not by faster charging.

Nope, it was clearly SuperCharging not swap.

Tesla CTO JB Straubel Says His Company Can Charge Electric Vehicles, With No Battery Swapping, in Five Minutes | MIT Technology Review

I happen to think even getting it to under 15 minutes would be a very big lever in building demand for Tesla caliber EVs.

15 minutes would be 4C charging, or more at points due to tapering. So we're taking 360kW+. Definitely impossible with the Model S as it stands.

No doubt. I think there's likely to be a new battery chemistry just about now... I'd be happy if that could get to 80% charge in under a half hour. As to JB's 5-10 minutes, I'd be happy if that ends up being 80-90% in under 15 minutes with the following chemistry, which given a few comments, it seems they are targeting for 4-5 years from now.

If Tesla gets the charging under 10 minutes on a 400 mile range car (something else some Musk comments suggest they are looking to hit in 4-5 years), it basically leaves things like nationalism, quite intense brand loyalty, possibly lack of access to home charging, and a love of the sound of an ICE as the only reasons to prefer a gasoline car. It's not that I think Tesla needs this to have enough demand, it's that I think this will put demand over 50% of the market (obviously way more demand than Tesla could supply) and act as part of Elon's spur to get incumbent automakers to transition to EVs. I'd still expect it to take decades.

Nope, it was clearly SuperCharging not swap.

Tesla CTO JB Straubel Says His Company Can Charge Electric Vehicles, With No Battery Swapping, in Five Minutes | MIT Technology Review

I happen to think even getting it to under 15 minutes would be a very big lever in building demand for Tesla caliber EVs.

That's the discussion I recall seeing some time ago as well.

Obviously a future implementation that requires changes in battery chemistry, DC fast chargers, supply wire gauges, perhaps BMS systems, etc...

IOW: An entirely new platform.

IIRC, graphene foam negative electrodes are a feature of several high power density battery designs (typically at the lab press release state of readiness - i.e. not ready.) Better intercalation of ions, durability and conductivity apparently make existing chemistries work better and currently impractical ones (like lithium sulphur) actually work.

We might see some very compelling advances in charging time if someone manages to work out mass production of electrodes with this material. With Elon's strategy of putting design and production staff together, the Gigafactory might be a good place to try doing this.

Tesla's integrated approach - cell, pack, charger, etc. - is looking very clever indeed to me right now.