Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you make of the thinner Supercharging Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt. I think there's likely to be a new battery chemistry just about now... I'd be happy if that could get to 80% charge in under a half hour. As to JB's 5-10 minutes, I'd be happy if that ends up being 80-90% in under 15 minutes with the following chemistry, which given a few comments, it seems they are targeting for 4-5 years from now.

If Tesla gets the charging under 10 minutes on a 400 mile range car (something else some Musk comments suggest they are looking to hit in 4-5 years), it basically leaves things like nationalism, quite intense brand loyalty, possibly lack of access to home charging, and a love of the sound of an ICE as the only reasons to prefer a gasoline car. It's not that I think Tesla needs this to have enough demand, it's that I think this will put demand over 50% of the market (obviously way more demand than Tesla could supply) and act as part of Elon's spur to get incumbent automakers to transition to EVs. I'd still expect it to take decades.

It's hard to see how you can ever get 10 minute charging in a 400 mile range car. That's 750kW or so, in which case the limiting factor will be how you dissipate ~75kW of waste heat from the pack during charging.

the limiting factor will be how you dissipate ~75kW of waste heat from the pack during charging.

Liquid Nitrogen.

Except then inevitably two years later Elon would be sending out notes that folks aren't really suppose to take the Liquid Nitrogen home to make ice cream. And then people will be upset that this wasn't explicitly stated as a policy from the beginning.

So there's that.

15 minutes would be 4C charging, or more at points due to tapering. So we're taking 360kW+. Definitely impossible with the Model S as it stands.

Also thinking about momentary grid demands. Thinking that local battery packs would be part of the quicker charging solution so that the grid only needs charge the intermediate pack at slower rates when no cars are hooked up.

Also thinking about momentary grid demands. Thinking that local battery packs would be part of the quicker charging solution so that the grid only needs charge the intermediate pack at slower rates when no cars are hooked up.

For sure. I'd be willing to bet that Tesla does this even at existing power levels eventually to lower their demand charges.

It's hard to see how you can ever get 10 minute charging in a 400 mile range car. That's 750kW or so, in which case the limiting factor will be how you dissipate ~75kW of waste heat from the pack during charging.

mgboyes, I'm just going on what JB said in July 2013, “It’s not going to happen in a year from now. It’s going to be hard. But I think we can get down to five to 10 minutes,” It may be that he was speaking in terms of the original ~250 mile car, but he said 5-10 minutes... so 10 minutes on a 400 mile car doesn't seem out of scale.

- - - Updated - - -

From the article upthread:

"Achieving five-minute charges will require not only further improving the charging system, but also improving the interface with the electrical grid. As it is, only some places on the grid can handle 120-kilowatt charging. Drawing large amounts of power from the grid also incurs demand charges from the utility, increasing the cost of the system.
But Straubel says that Tesla plans to get around these problems by equipping supercharging stations with solar panels and batteries.
Storing solar power in batteries in the charging station could also be helpful to operators of the power grid..."

mgboyes, I'm just going on what JB said in July 2013, “It’s not going to happen in a year from now. It’s going to be hard. But I think we can get down to five to 10 minutes,” It may be that he was speaking in terms of the original ~250 mile car, but he said 5-10 minutes... so 10 minutes on a 400 mile car doesn't seem out of scale.

Well I guess JB and I agree that it's going to be hard :)

One of the thoughts I've had is around main pack contactor replacement. The failing contactors would weld themselves closed due to the heat generated from things like high speed runs and Supercharging. The new contactors are a big improvement over the old ones. This should allow (given the proper battery cooling) for higher Supercharging rates, say up to 140kW. From what I've seen inside Supercharger cabinets, there is room for two more chargers to take them from 120kW to 140kW. The liquid cooled cables/handles will be great for this, especially in the summer.

As for the concern about air flow and filters of the pedestal heat exchangers, this could be monitored with a vacuum sensor on the inlet side. If the negative pressure starts to increase, that means the filter needs cleaning/changing. This could easily be messaged back to HQ.

Of course, people were having trouble seeing anybody come up with an electric car that looked good, drove fantastic, and had 300 miles of range. I bet if anybody can do it, Tesla will be right there.

In another ten years, it will be no big deal.

Two questions:

1. Since the 9 June opening of the Mountain View SpC, nine other SpCs have come into operation. Are any of them sporting the new cables?

2. To those who have used the new cables: do you notice any diminution of temperature at the contactor-handle? Is anyone aware as to where​ the coolant flow terminates?

Two questions:

1. Since the 9 June opening of the Mountain View SpC, nine other SpCs have come into operation. Are any of them sporting the new cables?

2. To those who have used the new cables: do you notice any diminution of temperature at the contactor-handle? Is anyone aware as to where​ the coolant flow terminates?

It was reported elsewhere that the new cables are being tested at Mountain View for at least six months, close to home, they're not for routine installation yet.

I just tried the cables yesterday in Mountain View on my way back from Monterey. They are incredibly easy to handle. They are even more flexible than my HPWC cable. The upcoming San Mateo SC (just a couple miles north) have the traditional snake.

The massive snake felt substantial, but I think I'm convinced-- the new cable is much more user-friendly. The vents on the bottom of the pedestals look neat too.

I just tried the cables yesterday in Mountain View on my way back from Monterey. They are incredibly easy to handle. They are even more flexible than my HPWC cable. The upcoming San Mateo SC (just a couple miles north) have the traditional snake.

The massive snake felt substantial, but I think I'm convinced-- the new cable is much more user-friendly. The vents on the bottom of the pedestals look neat too.

So wait, you went out there and didn't take any pictures????

My apologies if this has already been answered... what happens with these liquid cooled cables if it is significantly below freezing outside?

The coolant won't be water. Presumably it will be similar to the battery coolant. Even if not, it will still have some kind of antifreeze, and perhaps circulating continuously.

Most likely Ethylene Glycol

image.jpg

Doesn't appear that liquid cooled cables are being used in many, or any of the new supercharger stations. For example, the Burlington VT supercharger expected to go live this week still has the original sized charging cable.
Any thoughts on why?