Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vote on software features/bugs to fix in 7.1 and beyond

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, just wanted to share a quick medium.com update. As we get closer to finalizing the current round of feature/bug requests I will do my best to summarize results and do a bit of de-duplication. Goal is to preserve the desires of the members but also make it easier to consume and prioritize.

It is tough to do multiple rounds of voting as audiences are fickle. Anyone have thoughts on that? Should we just summarize against the top priorities as they land and do another round of voting in a month or so?

Personally, I don't think any more refinement is really necessary, and to your point there are diminishing returns. Tesla has smart people. The categories and structure you put together as starting points (thank YOU again) are not that long that it takes rocket science to decipher them. ...but, our input as owners (and enthusiasts -- can't tell if all people voting/commenting own or really may buy a Tesla one day) is only one set of things Tesla has to consider with each suggestion. I spent most of my career in software development, support and service, then ran P&L for large business units where I had to make decisions where to invest parts of the profit we generated. IMHO, reality is, Tesla will hopefully use our input, but then only they can evaluate what it would really take them to implement the change, their cost, and what benefits they see each change may possibly make for them short and long term. We can debate those sort of things here all we want, but the reality is none of us know the specifics enough to do a lot more than voice opinions has already been done.

Thats my 2-cents for all its worth for not. BTW, once again, thanks for rallying the herd of us on this... Ive tried in the past to input ideas in specific threads and a number of other sites that have methods for inputting ideas, but it's not evident to me Tesla really has a good method for dealing with true user input beyond perhaps Tesla employees that scour forums like this where we always will wonder if that input was used in some way to better our vehicles and perhaps Tesla future products... For me, Tesla would do well to implement a true advisory group like other mfgrs do, so they can both manage a good cross-section of the type of respondents, as well as collect data in a form that is more useful than thousands of Tweets from any 'ol person that wants to jump into the social media scene (which isn't me, that's for sure). What you have done is a great first step, but I'll be as equally excited to see Tesla implement improved methods for collecting real input from real people, as I will some of the great ideas folks have suggested over on tricider.

Go put them in. You mind find that they aren't so low priority for others. I know ASL is already in there with votes.

ASL is the top voted category in media. I would love to see the adoption of sound leveling from each file as an additional factor but perhaps we should focus on the bigger picture.

- - - Updated - - -

BertL, sounds like we come from similar backgrounds. I do this because I have been through the wringer and feel like this is help they would appreciate. It is really tough being successful and having so many demands and detractors.

I agree on many, if not all, of your points. Building a method to keep a good handle on what the community wants and helping to do some product management seems like the best help I can render. I love my car and the ideas that Tesla brings to the world.

Hey kids, I am 99% sure that we had nothing to do with this.... But Android app now has notifications and activate valet mode remotely. We should edit the request accordingly which should only leave "adjust charging amperage from app" as the only request related to the Android app. Super exciting; I don't want to get my hopes up, but I hope this a trend of slow implementation of requested features.

Hey kids, I am 99% sure that we had nothing to do with this.... But Android app now has notifications and activate valet mode remotely. We should edit the request accordingly which should only leave "adjust charging amperage from app" as the only request related to the Android app. Super exciting; I don't want to get my hopes up, but I hope this a trend of slow implementation of requested features.

Android app activate/deactive/change pin for valet mode was there since the last update.

I think this exercise focuses on software changes. A HUD would be a hardware change.

Ah good point.. I couldn't find how to add HUD to the option list anyway.

Why don't they just throw it open and create an App store with a SDK that 3rd party developers can use with access to certain services like telemetry information, internet, cameras etc. Innovation will quickly develop.

...Why don't they just throw it open and create an App store with a SDK that 3rd party developers can use with access to certain services like telemetry information, internet, cameras etc. Innovation will quickly develop.

IMHO, two immediate points come to mind:

1. Complexity. Tesla is still working to get basic functionality developed and into MS so it can be propagated to future vehicles as well. They already have a lot of combinations to check and adapt. Creating and managing APIs, skins for the displays, etc. as people suggest, are IMHO all great future things for Tesla to work on as they mature, but not something a fledgling company that is developing much of their own stuff can spend time, money, and resources on at this point in time -- especially with the pressure they have on them from Wall Street and consistent profitable growth.
  2. Liability. If the press, Hong Kong, and all the threads we have here on TMC with posters declaring Tesla has gone too far with v7.0 Autopilot capabilities (that isn't me, BTW), and what that may mean with safety or when the infamous law suits begin to hit Tesla from crazy drivers in our society that love to sue for most anything despite a company's warnings and limitation statements the driver had to agree with, think what would happen if Tesla opened up their interfaces to 3rd parties to either use or perhaps represent data differently to drivers, or if something starting not working in some situation because of the 3rd party's involvement. Tesla could then have problems way out of their control. Not good. Again, IMHO maybe something for a very mature company to pursue, not one that is trying to stay on the map.

1. Complexity. Tesla is still working to get basic functionality developed and into MS so it can be propagated to future vehicles as well. They already have a lot of combinations to check and adapt. Creating and managing APIs, skins for the displays, etc. as people suggest, are IMHO all great future things for Tesla to work on as they mature, but not something a fledgling company that is developing much of their own stuff can spend time, money, and resources on at this point in time -- especially with the pressure they have on them from Wall Street and consistent profitable growth.
  2. Liability. If the press, Hong Kong, and all the threads we have here on TMC with posters declaring Tesla has gone too far with v7.0 Autopilot capabilities (that isn't me, BTW), and what that may mean with safety or when the infamous law suits begin to hit Tesla from crazy drivers in our society that love to sue for most anything despite a company's warnings and limitation statements the driver had to agree with, think what would happen if Tesla opened up their interfaces to 3rd parties to either use or perhaps represent data differently to drivers, or if something starting not working in some situation because of the 3rd party's involvement. Tesla could then have problems way out of their control. Not good. Again, IMHO maybe something for a very mature company to pursue, not one that is trying to stay on the map.

Separating driving dynamics from infotainment would go a long way to solving some of those issues. That way, the liability for AP stays with the driver and/or Tesla.

I would also be slightly open to licensing the SDK for those that want to pay and TMC as a group getting complimentary access. We then put together a small group of devs that can address the issues that are most important to us. We submit every two weeks or so, Tesla vets the code quickly because we documented it so well, and its ready to enable from the app section of the touchscreen where we opted in to download 3rd party libraries within 72hrs.

1. Complexity.
  2. Liability.

You left out Security. Even with their best efforts at creating a sandbox for developers to write apps in, this is a linux machine, and people will find ways to jailbreak/root/hack into the main systems (one person has reported that he already has, even without API/SDK level access).

The iPhone has been out for 7 years now and Apple has some pretty serious security on the OS they write and maintain, and people are *still* able to find exploits and jailbreak their devices. But what's the worst thing that can happen to a jb/rooted phone? It gets bricked and you can't make calls or check facebook. But in a Model S? What's the worst thing that can happen with compromised software? You could die and/or kill other people. It would take a serious effort to create an SDK for third-party apps, and based on their performance and release of 7.0, I don't think it's happening any time in the foreseeable future (as much as I do want it to happen).

You left out Security. Even with their best efforts at creating a sandbox for developers to write apps in, this is a linux machine, and people will find ways to jailbreak/root/hack into the main systems (one person has reported that he already has, even without API/SDK level access).

The iPhone has been out for 7 years now and Apple has some pretty serious security on the OS they write and maintain, and people are *still* able to find exploits and jailbreak their devices. But what's the worst thing that can happen to a jb/rooted phone? It gets bricked and you can't make calls or check facebook. But in a Model S? What's the worst thing that can happen with compromised software? You could die and/or kill other people. It would take a serious effort to create an SDK for third-party apps, and based on their performance and release of 7.0, I don't think it's happening any time in the foreseeable future (as much as I do want it to happen).

Very, very good point.

Still getting a trickle of new voters. Unless someone is vigorously opposed I am going to go in and clean out the improperly categorized ideas. It seems that, post the clean up, another week or two of voting would be in order. After that I can post another, more detailed, readout on medium.com.

If there is an inarticulate idea I will ask for more detail in the comments and give a few days to update. "I want a pony" is really not so helpful. "I want my DRL to include brake lights" is much more clear.

Still getting a trickle of new voters. Unless someone is vigorously opposed I am going to go in and clean out the improperly categorized ideas. It seems that, post the clean up, another week or two of voting would be in order. After that I can post another, more detailed, readout on medium.com.

If there is an inarticulate idea I will ask for more detail in the comments and give a few days to update. "I want a pony" is really not so helpful. "I want my DRL to include brake lights" is much more clear.

Clean away, let me know when we are ready to organize the data to include spreadsheets and voting percentages. Thank you.

Clean away, let me know when we are ready to organize the data to include spreadsheets and voting percentages. Thank you.

Will definitely do so. The intent is to give everyone access to the data in raw as well as with some summarization (glad to have your help supratachophobia!).

All, if your favorite idea is deleted or somehow mangled please check the alternative categories where it could fit or add it back. Post this clean up I will set a time limit (maybe one more week). Expect clean up to be done by the end of the weekend latest. I have a day job you know :smile:.

Will definitely do so. The intent is to give everyone access to the data in raw as well as with some summarization (glad to have your help supratachophobia!).

All, if your favorite idea is deleted or somehow mangled please check the alternative categories where it could fit or add it back. Post this clean up I will set a time limit (maybe one more week). Expect clean up to be done by the end of the weekend latest. I have a day job you know :smile:.

Thanks again for your leadership with this. I only hope Tesla makes use of the well-intentioned information.