Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
Fix Phantom braking
Perforated Cooled seats (first on the list if not for the danger of phantom)
Carplay/Android Auto support
HUD
Emergency door handles on back similar to front seats (seriously...ever see how to unlock the rear doors if the button isn't working?)
Retractable dark mesh sunshade for moonroof
Better auto defog
Better rear and a front camera (rear one gets dirtier than any car I've ever owned in the winter)

The above should be standard IMO.

With "Performance" package:
- Better sound system (subs, extra speakers)
- Carbon fiber steering wheel/interior/alacantra headliner
- Actually better braking system vs the covers
- Adjustable suspension

1. I'd like the driving visualization to show more of what's going on behind me. I can see what's in front of me easy enough.
2. Acoustic improvements. It's the only thing that makes me wonder if this is the right car for me. I'm not even sure it's any louder than my wife's ID4 but there something about the sound it makes on rough roads that is more jarring. I don't even need the drive to be any softer -- it's just the noise.
3. Fix phantom braking before worrying about city self-driving. My Wife's ID4 is better at practical self-driving than the Tesla (though not nearly as fun to actually drive, which is more important to me).
I would add that FSDb visualizations are much more vast, extensive, accurate, and complete. I feel like we only get a taste of that without FSDb when visualizations are turned ON. Why can’t we see that car seeing much more—as much as FSDb displays on-screen?

I would also add that Model X has the ability to save the geolocation when users lower or raise the lift gate and press and hold the rear lift gate button. Why can’t we also get this with Model Y? We know Model Y can do geolocation because of the folding mirrors setting and HomeLink AND we know users can adjust the MAX height of the rear lift gate, so why not enable users to do both like Model X users can? Got my first ding in my Model Y paint because of this! I thought Model Y already had this feature, so I adjusted the lift gate MAX height for the parking garage at work and then set the MAX height higher later when at home, not realizing it didn’t save geolocations. Next time I opened my lift gate at work, it dinged against the concrete beam above my car!

I've owned my 2022 MYP for over a year and the only thing I curse everyday is the lack of a 360 Birdseye view for parking and U turns. My other car is a Genesis GV60 and the HUD, Cross Traffic, and 360 camera make my next Tesla ride even more infuriating. Not that I don't love most other things about the MYP! But a GV70e is mighty tempting for my next EV.

I'm with this camp. Happy camper if we get these 3, even a half baked version of it...
Just three features:

1. Birds Eye View
2. Blind Spot Monitoring (located in the door mirrors)
3. Rear Cross Traffic Alerts
All good suggestions. I’d love to get a reminder that I left my phone on the wireless charging deck. A simple audible alert different from others when the front doors open. I hate getting somewhere then realizing I left my phone on the charger.

Just three features:

1. Birds Eye View
2. Blind Spot Monitoring (located in the door mirrors)
3. Rear Cross Traffic Alerts

Well you're in luck, the latest update just took care of the first two. :)

We installed it overnight and took it for a spin to brunch this morning, and the synthetic birds-eye view while backing into parking spots (and our garage) is impressive given the not-quite-birds-eye camera angles they're working from.

Well you're in luck, the latest update just took care of the first two. :)

We installed it overnight and took it for a spin to brunch this morning, and the synthetic birds-eye view while backing into parking spots (and our garage) is impressive given the not-quite-birds-eye camera angles they're working from.
Blind spot warnings that require turn signals/indicators to be already engaged to work is one step too late. There are occasions where people need to merge/change lanes quickly and the ability to already be aware there is a vehicle right next to me in my blind spot (aka situational awareness) without having to use the stalk (or button!) to enable cameras is too many seconds wasted. This is why Highland has them on the doors but don't be fooled - Holiday Update 2023 isn't the same thing. It also lacks an audio warning which would at least help if I am looking in my mirror (vs the screen) with indicators going and I fail to see a hidden car.

• Love
Reactions: macheboston
Blind spot warnings that require turn signals/indicators to be already engaged to work is one step too late. There are occasions where people need to merge/change lanes quickly and the ability to already be aware there is a vehicle right next to me in my blind spot (aka situational awareness) without having to use the stalk (or button!) to enable cameras is too many seconds wasted. This is why Highland has them on the doors but don't be fooled - Holiday Update 2023 isn't the same thing. It also lacks an audio warning which would at least help if I am looking in my mirror (vs the screen) with indicators going and I fail to see a hidden car.
If your issue is changing lanes without a signal the issue is not the car. Just sayin.

If your issue is changing lanes without a signal the issue is not the car. Just sayin.
Not completely. The Audi A4 I used to drive had a light on the inside of the side mirrors that would illuminate whenever a car was in your blind spot. That let me know even before I signaled that the car was there and was also helpful even when I wasn’t planning on changing lanes since I knew the car was there in case I needed to do any unexpected avoidance maneuvers.

As I’ve said before - Tesla’s system is one of the worst implementations possible because you have to deviate your gaze away to use it. The mirror based light is perfect because it’s right where you are looking anyway. Honda used to have a similar system and they ditched it for this very reason - the light on the mirror is better.

Better range in the colder climates. My new 23 Y LR just got 140 miles on 80% charge in 35 degree weather (65/80 mph) highway driving. Maybe the battery needs to in insulated or something. In the warmer months I received 200 miles average speed 65/70 mph highway. EPA 330, I should at least see 260 miles.

Better range in the colder climates. My new 23 Y LR just got 140 miles on 80% charge in 35 degree weather (65/80 mph) highway driving. Maybe the battery needs to in insulated or something. In the warmer months I received 200 miles average speed 65/70 mph highway. EPA 330, I should at least see 260 miles.
You can't compare 80 mph in winter with 70 mph in summer... (Or either of those with EPA.)

The company EVinsulate (in Canada) sells insulation for the battery pack and a clever piece of polycarbonate to make the roof double pane. They say their products cut wintertime range loss in half.

OTOH I doubt you will ever see anything close to the EPA range on the highway. Tesla went the extra mile to inflate the EPA range as much as possible.

Reactions: KevinT3141
The company EVinsulate (in Canada) sells insulation for the battery pack and a clever piece of polycarbonate to make the roof double pane. They say their products cut wintertime range loss in half.

OTOH I doubt you will ever see anything close to the EPA range on the highway. Tesla went the extra mile to inflate the EPA range as much as possible.
Even having a regular sunshade in the roof will cut the heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer. The panoramic sunroof looks cool but it’s abysmal for cabin thermoregulation.