Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most requested features list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused by this discussion of the carge port not opening. If the car is unlocked and parked, just tap on the cover and it comes up. Easy peasy.
I don’t think that is correct. If you walk up to the car when it is locked and empty, the car will unlock due to your phone and let you open the door; however, the charging port will remain locked unless you open a door first.

I’m jumping on this thread being revived to add this:

Do you think it would be possible to have a feature to extend the range of the LR models by getting the option to ‘disable’ one of the two engines? (Typically on weather conditions where you don’t need an AWD and don’t need the acceleration boost)?

Do you think it would be possible to have a feature to extend the range of the LR models by getting the option to ‘disable’ one of the two engines? (Typically on weather conditions where you don’t need an AWD and don’t need the acceleration boost)?
The front motor is disabled per say as long as you dont push it to where its needed. I would go as far as saying that even if you could permanetly disable it, the motor is still physically there...

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

AFAIK this already happens. The contribution of the front motor is increased or reduced as necessary. Also, it’s not a simple saving. Delivering 50kW split between two motors at 80%/20% is not necessarily less efficient than 50kW to a single motor. I think it’s reasonable to assume that Tesla engineers have considered this and have a few million miles of data to back up how to best split the power for optimum efficiency as well as for optimum acceleration.

AFAIK this already happens. The contribution of the front motor is increased or reduced as necessary. Also, it’s not a simple saving. Delivering 50kW split between two motors at 80%/20% is not necessarily less efficient than 50kW to a single motor. I think it’s reasonable to assume that Tesla engineers have considered this and have a few million miles of data to back up how to best split the power for optimum efficiency as well as for optimum acceleration.
But... if you had the front motor in regen while the back was powering the car, you'd never need to charge! :)

True.
My reasoning was, in the US where they have(had?) both an AWD Long Range and a RWD Long Range, the RWD range was better... I assumed this was not just due to the weight savings on one of the motors, was it?

But... if you had the front motor in regen while the back was powering the car, you'd never need to charge! :)
Unlimited energy hack!

1700134669358.png