Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade Button is Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I clicked continue and meant to get more info, but surprisingly requested more deposit.
Since upgrade to Sig will move my position down, what will happen if I just don't pay the additional the deposit? Can I still keep my current position?

Seems like the response email was not tailored for signature upgrades but a blanket response to "new" reservations.

If this is true, then Signature deliveries haven't slipped and current US reservation holders should receive delivery in Fall 2015.

Seems consistent with some of Tesla's previous communications i.e. confused and inconsistent.

what sam sez. NEW res-es fall 2015.

Why not upgrade the second P deposit that was further down? You would have had a sig plus the earlier P.

In hindsight I should have asked more questions. What I should have done was just get a Sig reservation and left the P reservation alone. Instead I 'upgraded the 'P' to Sig, THEN went back and asked for my 'P' place back with a second deposit. My mistake. But, I never had two 'P' spots at the same time so I could not upgrade the 'second' one as your post suggests.:wink:

Why not upgrade the second P deposit that was further down? You would have had a sig plus the earlier P.

That is exactly what I was trying to do. But there was doubt that the second P reservation further down the line would be eligible for Sig upgrade...she told me that the upgradability was based on a Sig wait list that my P reservation was on (but which I never signed up for).

I got the call too. What a tease! The rep did say my production queue position remains unchanged and since new MX’s will be shipping in the fall I should be getting mine sooner than that. I would really like to know what happened there—just a web site date error or some executive room drama.

Wow. Talk about a huge tease. I feel bad for the people that went through the deposit process.
Yeah, when you hand over $35k it seems like a commitment. One sided this time. Thanks for the empathy. As I suspect many of us do, I have a touch of the obsessive that is good and bad. I think I'll back off of this one for awhile.

Too bad. :( I feel for you guys affected. I certainly know how I would have felt, when I made the Signature reservation, to be denied afterwards.

I understand that Tesla made a mistake, mistakes happen and the personal call and swag bag certainly is an OK apology. As an average company thing, this was OK.

Still, I have to wonder if Tesla made the wisest choice here. Again this would have been an opportunity to shine, instead of do just OK. When considering the impact, which one is more likely to be emotionally affected, the guy who pressed upgrade button, sent a significant amount of money and dreamed a little - or Tesla the company where this is absorbed in the layers of many? I wonder how many upgrades they got anyway... Now there are a few dreamers less for a while and a little bit of a PR hit for Tesla.

Just honoring the mistake would have been an opportunity to shine, even if they have to inform the customers it was a mistake and their Signatures would be delayed or something. Really well handled mistakes (or customer complaints) can even create more loyalty than if no mistake ever happened. People remember kindly those who made it right for them.

Hopefully it was not bureaucracy that won here and there was some real pressing reason to deny further Signatures. Unfortunately knowing how companies work when they grow beyond certain size, I wouldn't be so sure of the latter. I fear some mid-level guy said this is not authorized (or an upper-level guy who didn't think it through) and had them send out the denials based on policy, not based on what's best. The humanity of it all is often lost when policy kicks in instead.

I'm sure we could speculate on a million good reasons of why Tesla did this, but looking simply as a customer experience improvement discussion, this was an opportunity to turn a mistake into further satisfaction. Alas, a road not taken (well, they still could if they so decided). I sincerely hope their obstacles for building additional Signatures were gargantuan instead of just some paper-trail mentality.

Keeping their promise to 000s of reservation holders that the # of Sigs is limited, seems like a pretty good reason.

This is just my opinion of course, but unless Tesla got thousands of clicks on the upgrade button, I seriously doubt I would consider that a legitimate obstacle. After all, they were selling EU Signatures as recently as a few weeks ago at a quite slow pace and it doesn't seem like the Signatures have been limited to round numbers either (say, 1000 exact).

There is also the additional point that some probably have cancelled their Model X Signature reservations due to the D announcement. It might even be possible the amount of new upgrades sold is less than the amount of cancellations made. Only if they got a very, very large amount of upgrades (like thousands), it would be understandable to block them. I just doubt the likelihood of that.

If they just got, say, 50 new Signature upgraders net (after removing D announcement cancellations), I doubt honoring those would really have been a problem to anyone else, hence my fear they may have done it just out of policy rather than out of what's best. I have a hard time believing too many people would have noticed the button or taken up on the offer at this point, so if I had to guess, I would probably lowball the upgrader amount. We are speculating of course.

I know I'm a relative latecomer, but as long as Signatures are sold prior to manufacturing start and not afterwards, I certainly wouldn't mind new people being added in. It all would still be a limited release, even if for a limited time (prior to release) new people came onboard.