Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'UK's largest' EV-charging hub opens at NEC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Third party (EV Network) wasn't known to me. Maybe they got some fantastic deal from BP when BP corporate were trying for maximum greenwash.

Looks like BP might pay a fixed service fee each year. EV Network - EVN are looking to lease/buy land, put in grid connections themselves and re-lease to charging networks and retail.

The only way I can see charging being a commercial success is to concentrate on the retail/dwell time income from drivers & passengers while charging their vehicles - food, snacks, drinks, gifts, kids' stuff. So EVN probably have a reasonable business plan, especially if they can sublet a McDonalds or coffee shop close to charging (may not be possible at NEC). Presumably if BP defaults, EVN can get penalties/payoff & join with another charging network.

I think BP will regret this and look to offload to others. If they overcharge on the 7kW AC, they'll get little custom. Some people will charge at events because it saves a charge on return journeys and they're willing to pay for the convenience or because some people can claim back the expense. Only if pricing is reasonable will they get enough custom. Also, Modern Heroes on Youtube said he expected there would be a need to book slow (AC) chargers, but that can change. DC chargers will be ok if they're reliable & competitive, with people being dropped off & their driver (eg parent for those working part-time at events) charging there. Also, some say the nearby trunk roads make the location useful.

Over the past five years EVN has carefully selected and secured the very best sites in the UK, seizing first- mover advantage in what has become an increasingly competitive UK market. Through our strong relationships with high quality CPOs and landlords, The EV Network has become a distinguished player in the EV charging market able to provide our partners with fully funded bespoke technology and service solutions. Thanks to this early investment in intensive network planning, EVN is set to lead the roll out of the UK fast charging EV charging market.

• Our model is based on ‘Infrastructure as a service’ (IaaS). A turn-key EV charging site delivery solution. Consolidating multiple interfaces on behalf of the client and decreasing cost. EVN’s unique and simple model uses its investment and asset company to fully fund the entire capital costs of site development, allowing CPOs, Operators and Landlords the ability to introduce charging infrastructure to the UK consumer whilst managing their own capital
  • We have raised £300m to develop and build a network of high-powered public chargers, and a further £100m to buy suitable freehold sites
  • Our funding solution covers the entire CAPEX of the project including new grid connection and any retail operation
  • With our funding model CPOs can increase their network without increasing their investment
  • Landlords benefit from market-competitive long-term leases with a strong counterparty

Financial Strength

• We offer 20 year CPI linked lease providing landlord’s with predictable long term income
  • Highly competitive terms and fees
  • EVN have the desire and ability to deliver multi-site portfolio deals whilst building strong long term relationships, allowing landlords to unlock value throughout their estate with a single trusted partner
  • Backed by one of Europe’s leading infrastructure funds SEEIT

Multiple Charge Point Operators (CPOs)

• We work with several highly experienced CPOs which means we can take a larger number of sites
  • Our CPOs are carefully selected based on their proven track record and customer experience ranking [edit: and one with a terrible reputation]

What Are We Looking For?

Leasehold Sites

• Six + car parking spaces on existing and new retail/leisure/roadside developments and town centres
  • 20 – 30 year leases at market leading rental levels
  • No upfront or ongoing costs to landlords
  • Ground leases also considered

Freehold Sites

• We are looking for Sites from 0.2 to 2 acres along major travel routes and close to strong retail/leisure destinations, travel hubs and town centres
  • Greenfield or brownfield sites considered as well as existing sites that can be converted
  • Co-location opportunities with Drive-Thrus, supermarkets and retail parks

Profiled service fee

• Operators will pay a fixed annual service fee inclusive of all development, EPC, maintenance costs and land rent
  • The service fee is split into periods to support budgeting. Our investment enables us to reduce the initial service fee to help all our CPO's through the years of lower utilisation, we then go on to a tiered system pending the contractual term
  • We would enjoy the opportunity to demonstrate how our financial approach can work for you
If you are a CPO looking to expand your network, please contact us today

It’s a solid installation, unfortunately undermined by the costs. You have to pay to park to use the fast ( 7kW) chargers. I can’t find the post where it was quoted, but it was around £12 or so if you pre-book or around £15 if you just rock up. If you’re attending an event where parking is included in the ticket, the £12 or so (if booking in advance) is just more charging cost. ”Parking” is free if using the rapids. Cost is 59p/kWh for the fasts and 85p/kWh for the rapids. I feel the costs are just too high, especially when you consider you can charge from a SuC for around 37p/kWh currently. Personally, if popping up to the NEC I can make it there in one hit and I’ll just briefly stop at a services and give it a blast on the way back, which will work out far cheaper.

It’s a solid installation, unfortunately undermined by the costs. You have to pay to park to use the fast ( 7kW) chargers. I can’t find the post where it was quoted, but it was around £12 or so if you pre-book or around £15 if you just rock up. If you’re attending an event where parking is included in the ticket, the £12 or so (if booking in advance) is just more charging cost. ”Parking” is free if using the rapids. Cost is 59p/kWh for the fasts and 85p/kWh for the rapids. I feel the costs are just too high, especially when you consider you can charge from a SuC for around 37p/kWh currently. Personally, if popping up to the NEC I can make it there in one hit and I’ll just briefly stop at a services and give it a blast on the way back, which will work out far cheaper.

If NEC parking is included with your ticket, then you don't have to pay extra for the parking. They tell you on their website booking page to check whether you already have parking through your ticket .

Any mention about paying is just general information

Ah, thanks! That makes things more palatable, though still pricey!
Of the 3 partners, BP is taking the biggest risk (if my understanding is correct). My guess is that BP wouldn't agree to such a project today, but back when they did, it was full "BP EV, never heard of oil". My expectation is that we'll have to wait for BP to exit. Hopefully the other partners have minimum uptime requirements to add to the regular payments BP may have to make irrespective of how much charging is done.

A waste of a couple of years, hopefully next site uses a better charging company which is cheaper & is known for reliability. I'd like these kinds of AC/DC mixes to be at large parking areas such as airports, football, amusement parks - long stays.

Overall though, probably best just to tour Oslo & distil what works & bring it to UK in volume.

Airports would be ideal.
A good few hundred “slow chargers” would be a game changer.
You can trickle at 16A as most cars will be parked for a few days so no rush to get them all charged up in a hurry.
That might save on infrastructure costs as the power requirements will be lower.
they do something like that quite a lot in Norway. Even 10 amp / 2 kw would trickle charge over couple of days to full.

Is it really THAT bad?

But 59p for 7 kw and 85p for rapid is just stupid.
My experience (admittedly fairly limited) with BP Pulse has been awful but I know it wasn't an isolated case.
Wasted 4 hours of my life trying to get a charge/get through to their support line. Never again. And that's before they fleece you on the cost!

Airports would be ideal.
You can trickle at 16A as most cars will be parked for a few days so no rush to get them all charged up in a hurry.
That might save on infrastructure costs as the power requirements will be lower.
Put the wires in for 22kW 3 phase NOW & save future rework. Add whatever cost-effective & reliable AC EVSEs they can do for now. Upgrade over time, or limit chargers through software to balance load.

I've charged at 43kW AC and I liked it. Old-style Renault.

I can also imagine lowish power DC chargers becoming more common EVENTUALLY, some even with built in storage - 50-75kW. Storage is useful as it reduces demand-load costs & makes the most of off-peak prices. Adding distributed storage reduces the loads on cables serving the chargers & helps with reliability/resiliency. I think companies like Kempower will eventually offer a wide range of options including built in storage.

For now 7kW AC EVSEs (chargers) in large numbers like the 150 at NEC are great and I hope many more sites like this appear.

Is it really THAT bad?

But 59p for 7 kw and 85p for rapid is just stupid.
According to ZapMap - best scored 4.0, MFG & Fastned (excludes Tesla), BP was 20th out of 21
1694445966816.png

"20th – bp pulse – Star Rating 2.5

The bp pulse network was one of first networks in the UK (under the Chargemaster brand) and is the third largest in the UK after ubitricity and Pod Point. Offering a mix of ultra-rapid, rapid, fast and slow charging devices, bp pulse’s network of almost 3,000 devices covers the length and breadth of the UK.

The network, which last year came 16th overall, achieves the same star rating of 2.5 but has now slipped into 20th position. It also earned a low ranking this year for reliability and ease of use, slipping a couple of places to come in the bottom two and bottom three respectively.

Survey respondents commented that units are starting to become unreliable, also noting price rises and poor customer service. There were also mixed comments about the network’s app and support line. bp pulse has acknowledged issues with reliability and has been investing heavily in both customer care and its charge point management platform, as well as its charge point portfolio."

Airports would be ideal.

Airport parking could benefit from power sharing smarts. It's more efficient to charge at higher amperage and ideally you want the vehicle to sit with moderate SoC and then charged just in time for your return.

EDIT: Oslo Airport is apparently smart as they're using chargers, not just outlets. It has variable pricing based on electricity prices. You scan a QR code on the charger and that takes you somewhere you can control the charging.

Oslo Airport said:
To use the charger, you must scan the QR code on the charging box. You can start and stop charging, see today's charging price, and follow the costs and charging.

Last edited:
Airport parking could benefit from power sharing smarts. It's more efficient to charge at higher amperage and ideally you want the vehicle to sit with moderate SoC and then charged just in time for your return.

I think that would happen with 7kW supply ... you arrive, plug in, car charges to your Limit. Then if/when the car falls (enough) below that limit it charges some more. So although lots of chargers, only "some" of them active at any point in time.

Reactions: ringi