Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting BBC article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Interesting article on the BBC today. Fairly balanced too, I have to say. Would've loved the fire services mentioned to give the number of vehicle fires in total though, EV and otherwise
There is no central database. Every service keeps their own figures, but this company did a FOI request on all of them and most replied, so the figures should be about as accurate as you can get.

In summary and taking out EVs which aren't cars, the number is around 150 EV car fires in a year.
Figures on ICE car fires are also not centrally held, but an estimate I saw was 40,000 total car fires in 2023.

I'm sure the anti-EV brigade won't believe those numbers though. They think it's all a Government conspiracy apparently. :rolleyes:

Interesting that the article talks about EV’s still being able to sustain a non EV fire.

From what I have seen, the reliability non combustible nature of an EV (ignoring battery fires), they have almost acted like a fire break. Seems to be a very different scenario creating an EV battery fire from an external source than igniting fuel from an external source.

I’m also surprised that the fire services use basic techniques (eg chuck water on it) to try to put out the EV battery fire when there seem to be some excellent methods and devices for tackling EV specific fires that do a very good job at neutralising the situation. I suspect when these become more widely adopted then EV fires will become less of a headline.

Well everything comes around in circles. The Fire Brigade over the last 40 odd years have had a lot less to do, homes no longer heated with coal, candles are pretty much a thing of the past, all bulbs are low voltage LED, home appliances are much safer and all monitored with RCDs, smoking has diminished and health and safety laws are going a long way to make what we do safer. Domestic furnishings are flameproof, so, that has to result in a lot less calls and a reduction in the number of Firefighters (oops nearly said Firemen) employed.

So EVs burning is creating new vacancies - so we are supporting our fire services. The fact Lithium fires take (its alleged) 10 times longer to extinguish I suspect its probably something to do with risk assessments and safe systems of work, the on site H&S staff doing a dynamic risk assessment, dotting the I's and crossing the T's - meanwhile the blaze is naturally coming to an end due to the protracted time it takes for a firefighter being deployed to fight the fire.

We really don't know the effects age will have on battery packs except they will suffer with degradation - only when we have millions of very old EVs in a scrapyard will the real risks and propensities become known, plus recycling of batteries I suspect will be a whole new industry.

You don't hear a great deal about the fire service anymore and therefore I don't know a lot about them, the last time they were prominent in the news was when they were striking, personally I think they are seriously underpaid for the job they do and the risks they take.

I’m also surprised that the fire services use basic techniques (eg chuck water on it) to try to put out the EV battery fire when there seem to be some excellent methods and devices for tackling EV specific fires that do a very good job at neutralising the situation. I suspect when these become more widely adopted then EV fires will become less of a headline.
Water is the best way of putting out battery fires, but it needs a constant stream so lots of water over a relatively long period of time.
What other methods do you mean?

Good catch, I can't believe I watched the whole video and still didn't really understand the purpose. Old habits die hard it seems.
They did make reference in the video "to starving the fire of oxygen" and doing that is never a bad thing. if the battery is not actually alight it could put out the fires and it might help reduce the scale of the fire and will keep the temperature lower but Lithium i on battery fires are renowned for being self sustaining so it could burn for hours or smoulder for days even with the blanket in place I would think.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
They did make reference in the video "to starving the fire of oxygen" and doing that is never a bad thing. if the battery is not actually alight it could put out the fires and it might help reduce the scale of the fire and will keep the temperature lower but Lithium i on battery fires are renowned for being self sustaining so it could burn for hours or smoulder for days even with the blanket in place I would think.
Yes they cover it and move it somewhere else to let it burn out. I'd like to see that parade go past...!

Containment with a blanket is fine if you have nothing much else in the vicinity likely to be affected. The prescribed ways of dealing with an EV battery fire is either pour lots of water on it continuously, dunk the whole car in a water-filled tank or just let it burn itself out while protecting the surrounding environment.
That's what fire and safety crews are instructed to do. There are extinguishers with special additives which are better at putting out small Li-Ion fires but there's no magic method of putting out a large pack fire I'm aware of.
The perceived risk of large scale EV car fires though is the bigger problem as it just spreads FUD and turns the general public off the idea of moving away from ICE and fossil fuels.

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Dunno really how useful that article was, felt a lot to me that the fire fighters were keen to stress how rare these were but the journalist was keen to avoid anything specific. Given how stupidly mis-stated this is on social media it ought to be addressed. EV fires are

1. far less common
2. tends to start smaller and be easy for people to evacuate (if they remember how their doors work)
3. Annoying to totally extinguish

Reactions: UkNorthampton