Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha Ha, it took me five hours to figure out your post.
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 5.57.05 PM.png

With today's Close, Microsoft (MFST) becomes the new largest Company by equity listed on the NASDAQ-100, with $826B market cap.

APPL and AMZN are 2nd-3rd, with $805B vs $802B respectively.

MSFT has better weathered the Fall selloff, down only 9% since Sep 4, vs -20% for AMZN, and --26% for APPL.

However all three big cap tech stocks were up sharply today. So is Santa Clause finally starting his run? And will they take TSLA along for a sleigh ride to a new ATH?

Cheers!

Just out of curiosity: are the people in this thread who are daytrading Tesla (stock and/or options) doing this because they believe in Tesla’s mission? Or because it’s a volatile stock? No judgement! Just curious.
I have a large long position in TSLA (mostly stock and 10% LEAPs). I sell a relatively small number of OTM weekly puts and calls every week as the stock goes to (what appears to me to be) local highs and lows. I find this is the easiest and safest way to make short-term money because even if I am wrong, I have to be very wrong to end up red, and even if I am, any losses are usually offset by gains on the other end of things. Plus I can always roll losing positions to the following week (although I haven’t had to at all the last 6 weeks or so).

Last quarter Supercharger progress slowed way down. I am thinking to have helped make for a profitable 3rd quarter. At this time Supercharger progress is rapid again. Maybe this means nothing, but maybe it means there is enough profit Q4 to carry on with Superchargers and still present a fabulous earnings report.

I follow Supercharger network count closely. But on the Tesla website.

The number has stuck at current level, 1375 and 11414 for a while. Where did you see the progress being rapid?

Thanks.

Reactions: neroden
He's not the only one looking to break free from $390. This analyst suggest that could trigger a runup into the 500s:

If Tesla can break this level, a short squeeze could deliver 45 percent rally: Piper Jaffray

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing that. The analyst to whom you refer is Craig Johnson of Piper Jaffray. He was a regular guest on my TV show, and continues to send me complementary copies of his weekly newsletter and monthly deep research.

On Monday, January 28, 2013 Craig in his newsletter recommended TSLA based on his technical analysis. I was unfamiliar with the company and its products. I researched the company and Musk. I appreciate the technicals, but need to know more if I am going to invest heavily. After that I considered the possibility that I may have been pointed toward my long sought ten-bagger.

Over the next four days I bought more and more of TSLA shares at an average of $38 each. They're now close to being that ten-bagger. Thank you Craig. The other analyst in that segment admits he is confused by his fundamental evaluations. At least to his credit he stands aside and refrains from selling short.

Last edited:
Jaguar I-Pace caught fire in the Netherlands while parked:

Een kudtkoekiewall. Omdat dat moet, van de kudtkoekiewet.

3bccff7cc8_Jaguar-Fik-2.jpg

0d01815eec_Jaguar-fik-1.jpg

They just started delivering the things, have under 5k on the roads... and one already caught on fire? Seriously?

We're still awaiting the first fire in a consumer Model 3.

Hopefully it was just vandalism... somehow, I really doubt that, though. Jaguar is investigating.
To be fair there were a few Model S fires early on.

Just out of curiosity: are the people in this thread who are daytrading Tesla (stock and/or options) doing this because they believe in Tesla’s mission? Or because it’s a volatile stock? No judgement! Just curious.

I would like to make a distinction between “believing in the mission” and “believing the mission will succeed”. There are tons of companies out there working for good, trying to make a better, cleaner, more efficient and less polluted tomorrow. and if I were a better person, I’d invest in them all. I hope they all succeed.

But the truth is I’m so heavily invested in Tesla not just because I WANT the future they are trying to build — it’s because I believe they are phenomenally well positioned to actually succeed: their product is immensely compelling, and blows away its current competitors. Its trajectory is one of constant innovation. It’s positioned itself astoundingly well in terms of vertical integration and various competitive motes. Anyone else in its industry would kill for its ability to attract excitement, interest and hype. It’s CEO is utterly committed to setting and achieving insanely ambitious goals. It is wildly profitable for the foreseeable future, and growing its revenue by leaps and bounds every quarter.

Only a lunatic would bet against this company right now.

Old Media also gets views on youtube, their own websites, and message forums too.
Look at the key 19-49 demo numbers.

Joe Rogan gets similar numbers per episode and is growing with well over a 1000 episodes.

Also look at Marques Brownlee, he’s far, far more popular on per video basis then 60 minutes, crushes them in key demo by millions. Elon broke Brownlee’s record for likes with his interview.

After Elon’s appearance, Rogan gained nearly 1 million new subscribers. Elon also set joe rogan’s like record as well as views record.

These demo numbers are the envy of all companies on planet earth... and Elon achieved them within two interviews.

The return on 60 minutes? The charity Elon gave to 60 minutes for bumping their numbers to survive another week.

My opinion is Elon needs to continue to find great shows on the internet to appear on. Not only can he get more traction with buyers and talent, he can have a good time while at it too.

As I’ve suggested before, he may find it fun to go on the hot sauce show with his kids at their spacex ad astra school. Better yet, do the hot sauce show at the Fremont factory in the cantina with his kids in front of employees.

His kids will laugh, employees will chuckle, and Elon could break news in joyful pain watching the numbers roll in as we accelerate to a sustainable consumption and production world.

Last edited:
I purchased my P85D back in May and it never fails to make me smile. I’ve purchased many luxury/sports cars before this:

370z
2014 435i
2015 Porsche Macan
2016 640i
2016 Porsche Macan (awesome car lol)
2016 BMW i3
2017 Mercedes c43 AMG
2018 BMW M2

And now the Tesla... keep in mind that I am 25 years old. I really don’t understand why I never gave Tesla a chance. Maybe FUD was embedded into my subconscious? No clue.

The purchasing experience was great. Usually when I ask for a test drive at a new dealership they would be hesitant since I’m a young guy. No questions asked they put me in a P100D and let me abuse it. Bought a CPO P85D the next day since the price was irresistible and was basically brand new.

My brother tried to talk me out of it. He had hatred for the brand, saying the quality was crap and range was a lie. Basically almost said he wouldn’t talk to me if I bought one lol.

Anyway, two days after picking up my P85D, he tried to one-up me and bought the new E400 Coupe. I drove him to pick it up, and engaged autopilot. He was clearly impressed but wouldn’t admit it.

Fast forward 6 months later he’s trading in that 2018 E400 and buying a Tesla. He also wants to buy shares in the company. Lol. Do I really need to say more?

One day I’ll regret not buying more shares at $365...
Buying $690 strike 2021 calls in the morning. Basically betting on FSD to be released between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.