Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to buy a loaner car has been rediculous for me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still my understanding was that stores are supposed to stay in-region, for logistics and cost purposes.

Everything you said seems to make sense.. except this. Tesla charged me an extra $750 to have the car shipped 250 miles (it's the same fee regardless of distance) -- I even offered to go get it myself from the service center in Maryland, but was turned down. :( Since all the service centers and stores are corporate owned, I'm not sure how much logistics are involved to move cars around from region to region.

It seems like a lot more logistic headaches to involve 4 additional managers (2 each regional and store) just to affect selling one more car. More than just shipping a car between service centers.

I wonder when this new policy went into effect? Maybe it has something to do with consolidating the CPO program at Fremont?

That all the Model S trade ins go back to California - I know that was true a couple of months ago (as well, I know that my old one went back as I tracked it on the phone app all the way from Houston to the Costa Mesa Service Center). But I heard just late last week that this was no longer the case and the trade ins / future CPO cars are now by and large being handled locally where they are traded in.

Mike

seems it would make sense that one of these massive hubs of CPO inventory should be located in the midwest? Makes them more centrally located and provides some more readily available inventory from a part of the country that has not had a lot of initial sales. They are going to have to be flexible on this or once the CA market gets saturated they will not have much space. Why not send some of these up to the midwest?

My complete guess would be that there will be one "hub" for each "market" as they have them defined today for inventory cars. That way, the distance a vehicle has to travel would be regionally-similar to that of inventory cars. Obviously, there will be some variations for inventory cars at specific service centers and showrooms, but the general concept still makes sense if they have some organizational hierarchy for these "markets".

Everything you said seems to make sense.. except this. Tesla charged me an extra $750 to have the car shipped 250 miles (it's the same fee regardless of distance) -- I even offered to go get it myself from the service center in Maryland, but was turned down. :( Since all the service centers and stores are corporate owned, I'm not sure how much logistics are involved to move cars around from region to region.

It seems like a lot more logistic headaches to involve 4 additional managers (2 each regional and store) just to affect selling one more car. More than just shipping a car between service centers.

I wonder when this new policy went into effect? Maybe it has something to do with consolidating the CPO program at Fremont?

I'm not sure there really IS a policy. The salesman at my store seemed to feel this was the "right way" to approach things. As a matter of fact, my car was his first out of region sale, so he had to call the regional manager to find out protocol, and that is when it progressed into the 4 people I mentioned. I am not 100% sure there is a written policy on these matters, and perhaps really there isn't. Maybe he just didn't know. But in our case this is just how it happened to work out. FWIW, they charged me $750 to ship my car rom Chicago to Cleveland, and they charged my wife the same $750 to get her car from Florida to Ohio. When you look at the fact my Illinois car came enclosed, $750 per car isn't a bad rate at all. I'm not sure if the car from FL to OH was enclosed too, but if so, those prices "averaged out" don't seem too bad. I've shipped cars enclosed before and cross country at today's rates that is a $2,000 ordeal.... so really, prices seem spot on to me.

Again, the post I said prior was just my experiences. And it seems like there are policies in place, but also a lot of uncertainty between stores. But hopefully no matter what I just want to see people find the cars they want... the inventory is getting thin right now (end of quarter coming to a close)...

My complete guess would be that there will be one "hub" for each "market" as they have them defined today for inventory cars. That way, the distance a vehicle has to travel would be regionally-similar to that of inventory cars. Obviously, there will be some variations for inventory cars at specific service centers and showrooms, but the general concept still makes sense if they have some organizational hierarchy for these "markets".

I'm not certain that there will be only a single hub per market, but I can testify to the fact that the store in Cleveland, Ohio (Lyndhurst) is indeed a CPO hub. They already have about 12-14 CPO cars in stock at this very moment, with the first ones arriving almost two weeks ago. However, the cars have not yet been inspected and cleaned up and are as such not yet ready for sale. It is my understanding from posts I've seen on here that the stores might be able to look and see the selling price, but at the store here 2-miles from me in Ohio, these dozen cars are NOT ready to sell, and aren't yet being offered to customers. I'd like to point out there are a LOT of P85/P85+ cars on the lot!! But again these cars lack the tax refund. Not sure of pricing, but I've heard on these boards $50-70k seems to be a typical CPO range, maybe even more for lower mileage high-equipped cars.

If anyone wants pics of the "stash of CPO cars" let me know, we'll be at the Lyndhurst store tomorrow picking up my wife's inventory 60.

Here's some additional (paraphrased) information that I received from our local store manager today: "Inventory discounts will be reevaluated after 3/31. We are raising the prices of our CPO cars which will force us to do away with inventory discounts of the current magnitude."

Unfortunately, the perfect inventory car for us, if it exists, is out of our region. Sigh...guess we'll wait to see if the new glass roof becomes a reality....

Here's some additional (paraphrased) information that I received from our local store manager today: "Inventory discounts will be reevaluated after 3/31. We are raising the prices of our CPO cars which will force us to do away with inventory discounts of the current magnitude."
I was wondering when that was going to happen. A lot of manufacturers charge a huge premium for CPO vehicles, and at least the few times I've looked on more mainstream vehicles (your Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas, etc.) the CPO prices were so close to new prices it barely even made sense to buy used.

Tesla's inventory cars have been, to this point, closer to the fair value of a used vehicle. I'm sure they're wondering why, if other manufacturers do it, they can't. Especially as inventory now includes more trade-ins and isn't limited to test drive cars and loaners.

I was wondering when that was going to happen. A lot of manufacturers charge a huge premium for CPO vehicles, and at least the few times I've looked on more mainstream vehicles (your Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas, etc.) the CPO prices were so close to new prices it barely even made sense to buy used.

Tesla's inventory cars have been, to this point, closer to the fair value of a used vehicle. I'm sure they're wondering why, if other manufacturers do it, they can't. Especially as inventory now includes more trade-ins and isn't limited to test drive cars and loaners.

This would be a disaster for me. I decided against a nicely priced inventory car that didn't have the black headliner and let me shore up the finances a bit more before purchasing. I thought June would be best then. If I scramble now, there is no way I can get the car purchase complete by end of day tomorrow (the vehicle is still available in another state). :(

This would be a disaster for me. I decided against a nicely priced inventory car that didn't have the black headliner and let me shore up the finances a bit more before purchasing. I thought June would be best then. If I scramble now, there is no way I can get the car purchase complete by end of day tomorrow (the vehicle is still available in another state). :(

I feel your pain...we wasted several weeks thinking the inventory car was not the way to go because the one cut sheet our Store Manager initially showed us had NO discount, so we were slow to follow up until I found better information about what might REALLY be available here.

Well, I was planning to contact the two "local" stores to inquire about inventory vehicles. Unfortunately, if they change the program and make these vehicles more expensive, then I'm out. Sorry, I just can't justify spending two year's of living expenses on a car.

Cyclone, Tamar... I've been in discussions with both of you as I've purchased a total now of 3 inventory cars in a period of roughly 90-days. I know you've both also reached out to my local Store Manager and discussed options for what is out there. I hope you're both able to find the car you're looking for, at the price that makes sense to you. One thing I really feel one needs to consider is that it is crucial you find the car you want, and will enjoy the longest. Rushing into a car because the price seems right but it lacks an option you want can cause a headache (as my first car did lacking autopilot and dual motor). Hence why 90-days later I took a loss to trade in for the 85D.

Anyhow, I think you guys might be over-thinking the future of the Inventory and CPO program. While I do think Tesla is going to have less inventory cars moving forward because of ramping up production for the Model X, it seems extremely unlikely that there will be that much different of a turn-over cycle. The local store here in Cleveland has nearly 20 CPO cars on the lot already, but not a single one has been inspected nor certified and readied for sale. However, CPO vs Inventory are two very different animals.

Tesla will continue to need service loaners, test drive cars, and showroom floor cars. Unless Tesla decides to keep those cars longer and eventually sell them off as CPO/used cars, then the fact remains there WILL be inventory cars in the future just like there are right now. The only ways that inventory cars would thin in numbers would mean a few possibilities: first off, that Tesla will cease to offer as many service loaners (i.e.: maybe only for cars that require service beyond a single work-day), or perhaps those loaners will stay in-service for longer periods of time (less frequent turn-over). Same could be the case for test drive cars, etc.

I don't really see that happening, but I have read a few places that Model X production will inhibit the Model S production figures, though it is expected that X demand will exceed S demand, therefore it will balance itself out. What this means for inventory cars, well, this is just speculation on ANY of our parts... and what gets discussed behind closed doors, who knows. I will say this: my experiences have proven to me that VERY few stores actually know precisely what the future holds, and, like us, are just speculating. So my suggestion, take those rumors (and the rumors on these forums) with a grain of salt.

Of course... if you are searching for an inventory car, and you find the right one, don't delay as they will disappear. But just make sure you compromise on the car you get, but never sacrifice. :)