Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Plaid from Tesla? If it looks worse than expected and you reject the vin/car do you lose order fee and transport fee or use it on another?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my eye on a plaid on non tesla dealers lot. FSD, Archanid wheels, brand new michelins. 72,000 and almost bought it as they were giving decent money(39k) for my m3p(decent is relative due to price drop) and went on a vacay and had pretty well decided when I got back I'd buy. I got back and it was gone. I've been eyeing teslas inventory for quite awhile and a black one(color i wanted and other was blue) popped up but was 78,600 no FSD. Then it disappeared the night before i got home and wasn't on the site and figured someone bought it. Next day taxiing down the runway i checked my phone and saw it back at 71,900. Jumped all over it and it isn't super far so $500 transport fee and $500 order fee so bought it literally about 2 min before takeoff. Lucky i did as net was down the whole way and I am sure someone would have grabbed it. The low 70s plaids sell fast on Teslas website.

Anyways so I get home and the next day start doing my tasks and they offer even less than projected trade in on my 22 M3P with 9k miles. 35,300 so this slightly annoyed me. Non tesla dealer offered 39k for it and their MSP I talked them down to 72k and up to 39k from 38K on mine. initially they wanted 72,999(and had it priced upper 70s a few weeks before).

So my long winded question/story is what if the car shows up and has bald tires and not good condition? The rep texting me said I can reject the vin. I don't know what condition they deem acceptable but my car is immaculate. Already considering rejecting it and buying from a non tesla dealer(the other dealer has another but it's 77999, no archanids, white interior(prefer black) and it only has 7k miles. The one I ordered has 19k miles. Not worth trying to sell my M3p as it's annoying and save tax on the new car trading it.

So what happens if I reject the vin if the car isn't in great condition(reps wording) to my 1k? I know it is non refundable so would it be available to go towards another car if I'd just order new?

The "Ordering a Used Tesla Vehicle" FAQ section linked below should provide answers to your questions.

Yeah i've seen that. And i've also seen in their writing they consider multiple 4" scratches acceptable for normal wear and tear and multiple dents, windshield rock chips etc. Wanting real world experiences from those who have bought used from tesla. Also was curious if the 1k is gone if it's not acceptable. I know on new you can reject the car and wait for another. wasn't sure on used.

I bought a used S 85D from tesla a few years ago. It was overall in good condition and they agreed to fix everything I saw on pickup but the tires were a joke (their minimum was 4/32, I think it's 5/32nd now) which is basically ready to replace and had insane inner rear tire wear. They agreed to replace 2 of them as the front's were 6/32. This was before the massive 3 and Y uptake so it's possible they will no longer honor that same stuff. It still had the original owners info and everything so I'm not convinced it went through any actual inspection.

You have to wing it unfortunately because they won't even provide photos anymore. If you do go through with it absolutely get a tread depth meter and check ALL the tires mid/left/right to hold them to the 5/32nd rating. I would document anything you see on pickup and ask them to address it, all they can say is no.

Here is what the tires looked like, this passed their 72 point inspection lol:

Reactions: Blacktes24
I bought a used S 85D from tesla a few years ago. It was overall in good condition and they agreed to fix everything I saw on pickup but the tires were a joke (their minimum was 4/32, I think it's 5/32nd now) which is basically ready to replace and had insane inner rear tire wear. They agreed to replace 2 of them as the front's were 6/32. This was before the massive 3 and Y uptake so it's possible they will no longer honor that same stuff. It still had the original owners info and everything so I'm not convinced it went through any actual inspection.

You have to wing it unfortunately because they won't even provide photos anymore. If you do go through with it absolutely get a tread depth meter and check ALL the tires mid/left/right to hold them to the 5/32nd rating. I would document anything you see on pickup and ask them to address it, all they can say is no.

Here is what the tires looked like, this passed their 72 point inspection lol:

Well we will see how it goes. Appreciate the info on the tires. def going to take a tread depth gauge!

Just keep looking and you’ll find one. I had been one mind tracked for the last couple of months (to the dismay of my wife) but finally landed an incredible deal on a 2023 Plaid. I was looking at all the car used sites everyday and setting notifications.
One popped up over night and I immediately contacted this dealer (1200 miles away). Asked for a *sugar* ton of pictures, asked a billion questions. After being satisfied with pictures and answers, Put a deposit down and worked on the finances and bought this thing sight unseen.
Flew out and drove the car back after wafting back and forth on shipping. Decided not to ship just due to the number of stories I’ve read.

At the end of the day, ended up with a 2023 black on black plaid, with steering wheel. Car was already fully matte ppf’d, fully tinted, 21” wheels with FSD. Car had 1500 miles on it. For $79k!!! Surely thought something was wrong with it but was told it was traded in for another car.
Couple of dings, some valence scratches and a small crack on the underside of the rear bumper (can’t even see it), some rim scrapes but worth it. No issues driving it back home other than snow and rain. 😂
Good deals are out there!

Attachments

• 72196276253__B15B5F5F-0A6E-46B5-9AFB-857AE6D7EDC2.jpeg
    72196276253__B15B5F5F-0A6E-46B5-9AFB-857AE6D7EDC2.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 83
Wow jelly of some of the deals you all got.

Bought my 22 MSP from Tesla used inventory. 21" Arachnids, white exterior, white interior. No FSD74k

Car came with new tires (Michelin PS4S). Had clear front windshield tint. Looks like Tesla peeled off other tints.

Had some small cosmetic issues such as front under bumper being scraped up, but that was it really. Interior was immaculate, and panel gaps 9/10.

Nice thing was the added 10k miles/1yr of extra warranty from buying Tesla CPO in a way I guess.

Attachments

• 20231118_165504.jpg
    20231118_165504.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 57
Snow with those tires must have been an interesting experience
Let's say I drove like a grandma.
I had been checking all week on the weather. Cold, but said it was either sunny, partly cloudy, or cloudy. Effing snowed the whole time coming down the i25. It got down to 1 lane going 8-10mph lol. After I got out of there and on to the i40w, it was raining like crazy. Made it to Flagstaff and of course as I pull in, it starts snowing.
Woke up the next morning and everything was iced over. Had to wait until mid-day for me to take back off.
Luckily I didn't end up in a ditch somewhere. lol.

Good thing the car had ppf. the ppf took an absolute beating. ting, ting, ting, the whole way home lol.

Let's say I drove like a grandma.
I had been checking all week on the weather. Cold, but said it was either sunny, partly cloudy, or cloudy. Effing snowed the whole time coming down the i25. It got down to 1 lane going 8-10mph lol. After I got out of there and on to the i40w, it was raining like crazy. Made it to Flagstaff and of course as I pull in, it starts snowing.
Work up next morning and everything was iced over. Had to wait until mid-day for me to take back off.
Luckily I didn't end up in a ditch somewhere. lol.

Good thing the car had ppf. the ppf took an absolute beating. ting, ting, ting, the whole way home lol.
Yeah had a similar experience when bringing my M3P home a couple years back. Weather was fine all week, but on the last leg of my drive (which happens to be somewhat hilly and twisty), we got some unexpected snow. Traction was... very bad. Took all my self control to avoid a code brown. I ordered all seasons as soon as I got home

Thankfully picking up the plaid was less eventful. And I already had the TEs with all seasons on them waiting for me in the garage. Swapped them over that night. Probably will get real winters mounted to the 19s eventually.

Yeah had a similar experience when bringing my M3P home a couple years back. Weather was fine all week, but on the last leg of my drive (which happens to be somewhat hilly and twisty), we got some unexpected snow. Traction was... very bad. Took all my self control to avoid a code brown. I ordered all seasons as soon as I got home

Thankfully picking up the plaid was less eventful. And I already had the TEs with all seasons on them waiting for me in the garage. Swapped them over that night. Probably will get real winters mounted to the 19s eventually.
Sucked the 21's didn't come with All seasons. just straight soft summer tires. lol.

Well I passed up on the car. It was beautiful other than the rear 1/4 and doors were pitted pretty decent with rock damage. Enough I told them I needed to think on it a bit before accepting it in the lot and they said ok I said the pitting was giving me pause and asked if they could do anything and they asked store manager and they said no they couldn't. The passenger side was way worse than drivers side. I called a couple friends that do some body work on cars and asked their opinions.

After mulling it over a half hour I told them I had to reject it. They were shocked and said let me speak with the manager again and see if she can make a call. She called headquarters of used and sent them pictures and they agreed to have the 1/4s and doors painted on each side. 4-6k worth of work. I asked if I could think on it overnight as I just hate to have a pretty new car and need to get it painted and it matching etc.

So I thought on it overnight and finally decided I'd go for it and say screw it so took off up there(1.5 hour drive). I called half way up on my drive and was going to tell them to get it ready and got put on hold for 5 min and then hung up. Kept driving and then said screw it I will wait for one thats better and newer. Called them back and said I changed my mind and was literally on my way to get it. Thats how on the fence I was over it. I just didn't want to have to hassle with getting paint work done sometime within 6 months and the bodyshop that paints for them says summer would be better because the paint will cure better when it's warmer.

So all in all it was interesting had the guy answered the call I'd have a plaid now. Instead my search continues. 😂

It was a beautiful car other than the pitting. 0 curb rash on any wheels, interior almost perfect and all tires had 7/32nds. didn't see one scratch or dent on it. 2021 with 20k miles though. 71,900 and no FSD.

The day before I ordered the car it was 78k on their site which was too high then it dropped to 71,900 and it jumped on it. After I cancelled my order they listed it for 4k more and then dropped it to 76,400 the next day and it was sold.

I'll post pics later.

Just keep looking and you’ll find one. I had been one mind tracked for the last couple of months (to the dismay of my wife) but finally landed an incredible deal on a 2023 Plaid. I was looking at all the car used sites everyday and setting notifications.
One popped up over night and I immediately contacted this dealer (1200 miles away). Asked for a *sugar* ton of pictures, asked a billion questions. After being satisfied with pictures and answers, Put a deposit down and worked on the finances and bought this thing sight unseen.
Flew out and drove the car back after wafting back and forth on shipping. Decided not to ship just due to the number of stories I’ve read.

At the end of the day, ended up with a 2023 black on black plaid, with steering wheel. Car was already fully matte ppf’d, fully tinted, 21” wheels with FSD. Car had 1500 miles on it. For $79k!!! Surely thought something was wrong with it but was told it was traded in for another car.
Couple of dings, some valence scratches and a small crack on the underside of the rear bumper (can’t even see it), some rim scrapes but worth it. No issues driving it back home other than snow and rain. 😂
Good deals are out there!

Seems about right. There's no real resale value in FSD or even 21" wheels. In fact, for many, like myself, 21" wheels are a big disadvantage so not only would I not pay the $4500 for them, I'd pay less for a used Plaid that has 21" wheels than one that had the free 19" wheels since there are so many disadvantages to having the 21" wheels and NO advantages whatsoever. Getting a $10K discount on a used one over new with $1500 miles seems just about right.

For the $72K example with 79K miles on that? Run away from that deal as fast as you can.

Seems about right. There's no real resale value in FSD or even 21" wheels. In fact, for many, like myself, 21" wheels are a big disadvantage so not only would I not pay the $4500 for them, I'd pay less for a used Plaid that has 21" wheels than one that had the free 19" wheels since there are so many disadvantages to having the 21" wheels and NO advantages whatsoever. Getting a $10K discount on a used one over new with $1500 miles seems just about right.

For the $72K example with 79K miles on that? Run away from that deal as fast as you can.
There isn't much value on the FSD in the used market but I'd say there is a little. I'd gladly pay 2-3k more for identical cars and one having FSD. As far as the wheels the massive advantage if you care at all about looks the 21" wheels look 10x better than the free wheels. I'm not sure of all the disadvantages of the 21s and I wouldn't pay much more for them on used but again side by side identical cars I'd take the 21s with no hesitation and if they are that awful swap them out with something else.

Who had a $72k one with 79,000 miles? The one I looked at was just shy of 20k miles and and was 71,900.