Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re Mr Musk tweeting SciFi, the topics he's reading are vital to his present business, and besides that, may additionally (possibly) be both a respite and indication of some of the issues the production are handling. Or not. But to blame someone for having a full life that includes what they must do is silly. Tweeting that Asimov is great is not any sort of dereliction of duties.

Why does everyone keep saying that Tesla is a brand new company? They are a 10 year old company ... hardly brand new. Yes, they are younger than other car manufacturers but 10 years is a very long time in technology.

And a very short time in automobiles. The next youngest car company is Lamborghini (51 years old). The next youngest US car company is Chrysler (89 years old). While Tesla has brought more technology to automobiles and their manufacture, it is still a car company having to meet regulatory and safety requirements (people can die!) that technology companies would find hard to fathom.

55xxx Vins are perhaps Betas. There is one like that too near me on the east coast.

Ah. Makes sense.

Here's pix of car and sticker

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think a few assumptions are possibly incorrect on this thread.

Assumption one: Tesla will try and make their numbers by shipping as many cars as possible in the current quarter.

Elon has specifically said he's not interested in short term stock valuations, and that delivery does not equal demand.

source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/264...k-on-q3-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript

I just don't buy this. At the end of Q3 they reordered deliveries in order to minimize inventory across the end of the quarter. Specifically, vehicles that could made at the end of the quarter and then still delivered were made while vehicles that were ordered much earlier, but had farther to go, were either made earlier or later. From my conversations with Tesla employees this is the norm for the end of the quarter. So I just don't buy that Tesla doesn't care about any of this stuff.

I agree that Tesla is trying to build a company and not deliver shareholder value, but that does not mean they can avoid executing to the plan they presented to shareholders. If Tesla doesn't execute their plan (or darn close to it) that could have catastrophic results for the company with respect to their ability to raise further capital, should they need to do so.

how did we go from gaining 20 miles of range to losing 20 miles of range with the P85D?

There is an entire thread on this but the short answer is that the 285 number was at a constant 65 mph, not the EPA test cycle, which hadn't been completed at the time of announcement. Plus they had never had to do An EPA test on a car with 21 inch wheels and performance tires. But the consensus is that since the P85D has better MPGe on the highway, range will be at least as good when you actually care about it.