Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So happy you got yours :). Welcome to the club :). Now we ride :)

Thanks guys. I spent about 4 hours today wash, buffing, washing again, applying a coat of CQuartz. Second coat CQuartz and a coat of Reload will come on the next wash when I've recovered. :smile:

Albatross, Mike C was going to arrange some sort of get-together for the local drivers, so we can all meet each other. He was just waiting for a few of us getting cars over the next week or so.

Congrats, DFiveK2!

I had read online from multiple sources that P85Ds back in March were getting expedited shipping.

My Columbus DS said when I confirmed the MS order, "Most likely it will be transported from the Fremont, CA factory by a semi-truck car hauler instead of our normal rail moves. When it has completed the production process and the transporter has it, I will be able to track their progress and provide you with updates along the way."

Well the MS ended up on a rail. Totally deflating especially seeing on My Tesla how quickly the P85D was built. It has taken 10 days to go from Fremont to New Mexico. I wonder how Tesla determines if a MS will be shipped via truck or rail.

The DS said recently, "The train hauling your Model S is currently at a rail compound near Clovis, New Mexico. It will soon be rolling again with another stop before finally reaching the Chicago area rail compound. Once in Chicago the rail cars will be unloaded and your Model S will be transported to the Columbus service center."

Today the DS said the P85D is still in New Mexico. It's been there for at least the past 5 days.

One of the reasons I bought the P85D was so I would not have to wait so long. I am sure it will all be worth the wait. *SIGH*

Sorry to hear that Electrical_eng. Just keep complaining to the DS about it maybe we can make Tesla better in the end. If they decide shipping via train is the best way to go... Then they need to remove the real time status reporting of queue/production/transit and just give a delivery date that is accurate.

The current system of a few week wait for production then relatively quick production then 30+ days in transit to the east coast is like going to Wendy's... Having them take your order, put it on the tray and refuse to give it to you for 15 minutes. Ridiculous.

If they had asked me to pay extra for "faster" transport then I would have.

As as it stands I felt treated like a second class customer.

Good news is that the car is fantastic you'll love it!!!

finally reaching the Chicago area rail compound

Sorry to hear about this Electrical_Eng... some of us were stuck for 7 days in Chicago very recently, and mine was also stuck in New Mexico for 5 days.:frown: I hope Tesla can sort out this rail mess, or at least be honest and tell us up front it's going to take a month and a half to get to the East coast!

I'm sure like you it'll be worth the wait though.

I'm not suggesting you should do this, but if you wanted to couldn't you take delivery now and have them swap the bumper for you when it comes in?

Well that's exactly what I had in mind, but when I finally got a hold of my DS this afternoon, he said the "guys in the shop" had already removed the bumper and send it to some body shop and ordered my new bumper...
He said he might've let me leave with the car otherwise, although that's not per Tesla's standards of delivering a non-perfect car. I find it weird that he was not aware of the scratch and of the things being done to my car in the first place...

Today marking the 11th week after ordering, I tell you I would've gladly left with a small scratch on my bumper to be replaced later.

Well that's exactly what I had in mind, but when I finally got a hold of my DS this afternoon, he said the "guys in the shop" had already removed the bumper and send it to some body shop and ordered my new bumper...
He said he might've let me leave with the car otherwise, although that's not per Tesla's standards of delivering a non-perfect car. I find it weird that he was not aware of the scratch and of the things being done to my car in the first place...

Today marking the 11th week after ordering, I tell you I would've gladly left with a small scratch on my bumper to be replaced later.

Perhaps I'm being overly skeptical, but I think you should take measures to make sure they're not just putting the repaired bumper back on your car. Perhaps ask to see the new bumper when it comes in, wrapped, from Tesla, before it is installed on your car. If you are going to have any kind of paint correction and protection done, perhaps see if someone from the company doing the work for you can accompany you to the delivery appointment, to really inspect the new bumper. Even if it is a new one from Tesla, I imagine there still could be issues with the paint matching. A mismatch may not be something that you or I could easily notice, but something an expert would.

I just checked the Google spreadsheet in another thread for deliveries.

A 70D owner in my town (Columbus) had his MS start production on June 2 and a production end date of June 10. He received delivery on June 17 in Columbus.

The MS P85D I ordered had a production start date of May 29 with production end date of June 4 which is 6 days ahead of the 70D. The P85D is still stuck in the "black hole."

I asked my DS why the 70D was built 6 days after the P85D yet was delivered already. The DS still doesn't have an exact date for the P85D delivery. I'll let you know what the DS says.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I think I drove by the new 70D owner this afternoon. The MS was a 70D with temporary tags and matched the color in the Google spreadsheet. Happy for this owner and anxious for my P85D to get here.

It is tough being green and patient. *SIGH*

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just to put things in perspective: my VIN is 84300 ans I ordered April 2nd... and I'm getting my Tesla on June 27th...

On a cool note: Eric (my DS) will be delivering my car at midnight on saturday (coming back from the airport) because he said I've waited enough! :)

Wow, still no car. June 27th seems a bit crazy given that you're vin is only 150 away from mine. They were probably built the same day. Clearly your got stuck in the black hole of Chicago too.

I finally got mine delivered a week ago. Other than a bit of wind noise and a couple minor pinholes I found in the paint, the car is awesome. Tesla called me the other day to say they were going to pick up my car in a couple weeks and fix both.

Has anyone had an issue with their DS not being able to ping their MS during transit?

My Columbus, Ohio DS can't seem to ping the P85D I ordered. He doesn't know if this is b/c it is in a railcar or due to a technical difficulty. He hasn't been able to ping it since it was in New Mexico early last week. I stopped by the SC today and he said the delivery date was originally 6/19 and now he is not sure when it will be. He thinks the MS is in the "black hole" of Chicago.

I'm bumming b/c I was hoping for a delivery this week to celebrate an "insane" birthday!

And here it is, finally! VIN 84300 has been delivered. After a few days of driving, I take the time to post a few pics...

image1-3.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG