Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla offered 32,300 for my 2023 MYLR with 16,600 Miles. With the federal rebate and tax savings (Illinois only taxes on the difference from trade-in), the real cost (all fees) to upgrade to 2024 would be $8600. Is getting a year newer car with zero miles and a warranty worth the $7600? Thanks for your opinion!

Reactions: RNHurt
Tesla offered 32,300 for my 2023 MYLR with 16,600 Miles. With the federal rebate and tax savings (Illinois only taxes on the difference from trade-in), the real cost (all fees) to upgrade to 2024 would be $8600. Is getting a year newer car with zero miles and a warranty worth the $7600? Thanks for your opinion!
Excuse the typo. It would be $7600 to upgrade to a 2024 Model Y. I forgot the additional 1K off for cybertruck reservation.

Reactions: WyoDude
No, it isn't worth it in terms of a pure financial decision. But anyone buying a car in the 40k plus range isn't thinking about just financial factors.

Obviously life is about enjoyment...will this change make you happy? With all the factors you take value in (e.g., budget, enjoyment, peace of mind, etc.), will this trade-in/new car purchase make you happy, not only now but in a year or two? What I mean will you have regret for getting a marginally better car but not having the 7k in cash in your bank account?

I don't think any of us can answer those questions. That's for you to decide.

Don't do it. I did the same thing but for me it was a $2000 money maker. I still regrets it even with the free acceleration boost (from self-referral) since the new car has much more wind noise than my old one and the current grey color looks like *sugar* in comparison to white on my old car.

I guess it depends on what your 2023 LR has since it was kind of an odd year for those builds. Do you have a Ryzen MCU3? "comfort" suspension? rear parcel shelf? Matrix headlights? Parking sensors? AP4 (I think late '23 came with this)?

$7600 would be right on the cusp for me of upgrading especially if you don't have MCU3 (AMD Ryzen). I stopped following all the little tweaks they've done after I bought my '23 MY in late 2022 but I would guess they have tweaked other aspects of the Y since I got mine.

Reactions: Gpa9504
The average car price in the US is $48k.
First of all, that's "new" car price. There's just a whole lot of people who can't afford anything new. If you calculate in used car prices, that average goes down a good bit. Taney71 didn't limit his comment to new cars.

Second, that figure includes a lot of $60K to $70K pickups and $80K+ SUV's. So, one $96K Escalade and three loaded out $32K Camry's equal average of $48. That doesn't even consider all the $24K Corolla's (second best selling car in the world) and sub $30K Nissan, Chevy, Ford, etc. cars sold out there. For every $72K F150 sold, a $24K Corolla could be sold to average $48K.

My point is..............average don't mean much.

Reactions: WyoDude
That sounds like an issue specific to your car and not something generally observed between 2023s and 2024s, right? Is it a panel gap issue on your new car? If so, can Tesla remedy it?
Went to Tesla service and they thought the wind noise was normal. No panel gap issues. I also had lots of wind and road noise with my 2018 M3. Eventually I got used to it and drove the car for 5 years. When buying a new Tesla, it's always going to be a lottery with regards to quality.

Reactions: Alonzo
I guess it depends on what your 2023 LR has since it was kind of an odd year for those builds. Do you have a Ryzen MCU3? "comfort" suspension? rear parcel shelf? Matrix headlights? Parking sensors? AP4 (I think late '23 came with this)?

$7600 would be right on the cusp for me of upgrading especially if you don't have MCU3 (AMD Ryzen). I stopped following all the little tweaks they've done after I bought my '23 MY in late 2022 but I would guess they have tweaked other aspects of the Y since I got mine.
Feb 2023 Build. No matrix (built in ATX), no sensors, but does have updated suspension and CPU.

Carvana is offering me 37,400. So my actual upgrade cost including tax and fees would be $5,246 if I don't trade through Tesla. I feel like I should take advantage of the tax rebate and price cuts. Since most of the depreciation is in the first year, it seems like its not a bad deal especially since my current Y has 17K miles. I don't plan on owning it past the 50K warranty so it buys me more time.

No, it isn't worth it in terms of a pure financial decision. But anyone buying a car in the 40k plus range isn't thinking about just financial factors.

Obviously life is about enjoyment...will this change make you happy? With all the factors you take value in (e.g., budget, enjoyment, peace of mind, etc.), will this trade-in/new car purchase make you happy, not only now but in a year or two? What I mean will you have regret for getting a marginally better car but not having the 7k in cash in your bank account?

I don't think any of us can answer those questions. That's for you to decide.

I don’t understand why you would want to sell a 2023 and buy a 2024. Is there something wrong with your car?
Nothing wrong with the car. It just has high mileage (17K) for an 11-month-old car. Normally, I wouldn't think of selling but the tax incentive and discounts make it somewhat attractive.