Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

this forum making hold out for a better tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like Zythryn I had an early 2013 MS 60. Because I loved the Tesla EV experience I ordered a new one, another 60 as it met my needs, but with all of the latest improvements. On the last day to finalize, the 70 came out. Changed my order that day. But wait until Tesla stopped improving the vehicle? - No way ! There will always be something new; waiting for the evolution to become stagnant does not make sense. My imoression is that most Tesla owners are just a bit more adventurous about jumping into the unknown/less known, than others.

In my case, I am also on the side... awaiting funding to "mature"... I will probably say "PULLL" in late November for a late March 2016 delivery of my P85D (or whatever it will be called by then).

Granted you are in CT and not CA so you have to have it shipped, but my P85D took 1 month (ordered 6/6 delivery on 7/7). I mention this because you might be responsible for the loan much faster than you planned. If part of the maturing is going to happen over your proposed 4 months, keep in mind you might not have as much time. Although you could just tell them not to start the build for 3 months, but if a new option becomes available or you learn something new you might not be able to change it without paying more money.

Also totally envious of the Cobra :)

My decision wasn't so difficult. :)
This forum is great. Just one complaint - they are way too many Tesla fanboys here, it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion with them especially if that includes critiquing the car.

Please stop with the 'fanboys' insults. You and a few others throw that around to insult people you disagree with. Same if someone called a person a troll. They'd get defensive and can see what others do the same the other way around.

So you're saying criticism of the car isn't allowed here? There are hundreds of threads dealing with issues. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a 'fanboy'. Maybe they've actually owned a Tesla for 4+ years and have a ton more experience with the company than someone like you who doesn't even own one yet. They simply have a different perspective.

Excellent response but it's probably best to not even reply to him. He's the one dragging this forum down yet he has the gull to call others out. Pot, meet kettle. To expect people not to stick up for Telsa on a Tesla forum is like going to a Yankee's game and calling the crowd bias.

I'd like to modify my statement to,

1. There are way too many Tesla fanboys here, it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion with them if it includes critiquing the car.
There are way too many Tesla fanboys here, it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion with them when it includes critiquing the fanboys too.

HHOOHOOHOOOHAAAHAAAA!!
:scared:

Get ready to be thrown in snippiness.

Well you can't control everything. I wasn't being snippy, just merely observing a fact - the fanboys feel like it is their moral duty to defend Tesla's foibles.

Their defense is usually on the lines of "You don't own a Tesla", or "You haven't owned a Tesla long enough", or "We paid $40K and almost didn't get a car, and you are moaning about a 90 min wait with tesla support?" .. anyway .. :) I'm open to ideas, but I'll stay out of tit for tat on this thread to keep it on topic.

If anything a comment like .. "Maybe they've actually owned a Tesla for 4+ years and have a ton more experience with the company than someone like you who doesn't even own one yet." .. stinks of hoity toity snootiness!

Look, I don't care about your 4+ years of experience, if you are just unhelpful, and preventing others from being helpful - mostly because of your BLIND FANBOYISM!.. that is something I do care about.

Still, in spirit of keeping this thread on topic, I'll stay out of tit-for-tat here. No need to fan the flames. Would be nice to tone down the fanboyism though is my humble request. I've expressed my opinion, you've expressed yours. Have a nice day everyone! :)

Well you can't control everything. I wasn't being snippy, just merely observing a fact - the fanboys feel like it is their moral duty to defend Tesla's foibles.
I think you are missing the point: calling someone a "fanboy" for expressing an opinion positive to Tesla is the same as calling someone a "troll" for expressing an opinion negative to Tesla. There is no need to use that kind of terminology other than to try to be provocative.

I think you are missing the point: calling someone a "fanboy" for expressing an opinion positive to Tesla is the same as calling someone a "troll" for expressing an opinion negative to Tesla. There is no need to use that kind of terminology other than to try to be provocative.

Sorry but you missed my point.

I didn't call anyone a fanboy for expressing an opinion positive to tesla.
I called a fanboy is someone who defends anything negative about Tesla, whether justified or not.

The issue it creates is, someone genuinely facing an issue comes to this community asking for help from others.
Most people are helpful of course. But some will instead of helping the person, choose to chastise the question asker.

That would be a blind fanboy in my eyes. And generally they are harmful to the community (not just Tesla community but any community full of fanboys, like APPLE)

Agree with your definition of troll though.

Ok anyway, best to keep this thread on topic. My 2c to No2DinoFuel (and I said the same in a different thread) - dude, you live only once. This is an awesome car. No car is perfect, and Model S in 2016 will be better in Model S in 2015. If you can responsibly afford one, my suggestion is to take the plunge and ENJOY IT.

** update after reading Drucifer's post below. Yes, best to stay away from incendiary words like "Fanboy" and "Troll". Okay "Unrealistically Exuberant Enthusiast" it is .. and I just realized dsm363 is a mod .. LOL! Okay snippiness here I come .. **

Last edited:

OK, how about

Unrealistically Exuberant Enthusiast

and

Irrationally Negative Poster of Dread

;)

I'm sort of with the OP but sort of not. While we haven't placed our order yet, we fully intend to in the not so distant future.

One of the major realities we've had to come to grips with is the ever changing platform that is the Model S. My biggest fear, and biggest reason why we've sat on the sidelines for so long, is that the moment I can't change my order Tesla will come out with a major upgrade such as ventilated\air conditioned seats, or the 360 degree camera view, stuff like that. I held out for LTE and now that's here which only further makes me nervous.

In the end though, another member in another thread pointed out to me a very simple reality using an argument I use often against people making the same type of argument in regards to buying something technology driven; and that is if you are always waiting for the next thing then you'll always be waiting...

I dunno, we have an overnight test drive setup for a couple of weeks from now and we'll go from there...

Jeff

Every forum I've visited has caused gear envy in people. For example, when I joined a photography forum, I'd constantly see the gear head members tell the newer members that you can't use this lens for so and so, and the newer members would go out and buy the best of the best. Then a new camera body comes out, rinse and repeat. What these newer members didn't realize is that worth the older gear did 90% of what the newer gear did. People would wait and speculate what would be next. The happiest members? The ones happy with what they have.

Same for rock climbing, same for snowboarding, and apparently same thing here.

I'd rather drive a Tesla today with 90% of the features that the next Tesla will offer, than continuously wait for the next best thing.

Their defense is usually on the lines of "You don't own a Tesla", or "You haven't owned a Tesla long enough", or "We paid $40K and almost didn't get a car, and you are moaning about a 90 min wait with tesla support?" .. anyway .. :) I'm open to ideas, but I'll stay out of tit for tat on this thread to keep it on topic.

If anything a comment like .. "Maybe they've actually owned a Tesla for 4+ years and have a ton more experience with the company than someone like you who doesn't even own one yet." .. stinks of hoity toity snootiness!

Look, I don't care about your 4+ years of experience, if you are just unhelpful, and preventing others from being helpful - mostly because of your BLIND FANBOYISM!.. that is something I do care about.

Still, in spirit of keeping this thread on topic, I'll stay out of tit-for-tat here. No need to fan the flames. Would be nice to tone down the fanboyism though is my humble request. I've expressed my opinion, you've expressed yours. Have a nice day everyone! :)

Love the direct insult then 'no need to fan the flames'. Someone who owns the car actually might have a valid opinion and that doesn't necessarily make them a Fanboy just as I'm sure sure who calls people fanboys left and right isn't a troll.

Words like Fanboy and troll immediately shut down the conversation and the person you are labeling stops listening. If your goal is to insult then mission accomplished. If your goal is to further discussion then you've failed.

Ok, no fan boy or tit for tats comments here, just a note to the OP from a recent buyer who bought now and why.

I like being a supporter of new and cool technology. I like people walking across a parking lot to come see my car and talk to me about it. I like meeting these people and telling them about some really cool things. When someone starts walking toward our car, i can see my wife face go "ok, were going to be here for another 15 minutes....". etc.etc etc.

now i also like a really good value and reliable car.

there is only one point in the launch of a new technology where you get to still enjoy both, one on the way down, the other on the way up.

I bought a Volt in Oct 2012, and i believe based on my experience that was the point for that car.

just my opinion, but I feel this is the point for the Model S

Given the OP already owns a Spark EV and is happy with it, that is pretty important context that he didn't point out before. Probably something like a Model 3 is far more suitable for his usage than a Model S.

I am a "fanboy" who would suggest the Tesla Model S is an expensive car. There are other cars that are more practical, efficient, cheaper, and appropriate for income/savings levels. The S is still an early adopter car due to its limitations, cost, and foibles. It is still the best car for the planet right now by raising awareness and aspirations. It is fostering a revolution that may not have happened for ten or more years otherwise. It is thus helping to save the planet from CO2 narcosis. Like I said: "fanboy."

On the other side, if you can afford it financially and tolerate its idiosyncrasies, BUY IT NOW. Every day becomes "The Best Day Ever!"

I would not want to miss the months of ownership and use of this wonderful car. Sure it gets better over time. Even the old one. Sure there are updates that mine will never have. Then comes the time to replace it with the newest, greatest. But I am so happy for the many months and miles I have been driving these cars.

My advice: Don't wait - live.