Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am impressed with Tesla owners on this forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I have been a member of many automobile forums: Jeep, Porsche, Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet (Corvair), Antique Automobiles, BMW, and others I am probably forgetting.

This Tesla forum contains members who, in my opinion, are clearly, significantly, more technical, analytical, and overall communication skills of the members on this forum. Countless times I have read someone’s post and was thoroughly impressed. My background is electrical engineering with a Ph.D (not because I am intelligent, but because I work hard), and quite frankly, I think I am relatively difficult to impress. My job as a professor is one of teaching and criticizing, but there are so many members on this forum who intellectually impress me.

I suspect much of this is driven by the fact that many people are intimidated by owning an EV, and the fact that members of this forum are not intimidated by technology results in a self-selection bias. Regardless, hanging with all of you is the best experience I have ever had on an automobile forum. Merry Christmas my virtual friends.

Joe

Even though I know you couldn’t possibly be talking about my posts, I appreciate the compliment! Lol

Merry Christmas to you too!

And in all seriousness, I too am impressed by the majority of posters on this forum and it’s not just about Tesla. It can be about Ukraine, Covid, Etc.

This site does seem to attract the bit more knowledgeable section of society.

Even though I know you couldn’t possibly be talking about my posts, I appreciate the compliment! Lol
My posts are regularly dismissed because I could care less about people's feelings. And I also tend to get sucked into unnecessary debates when someone is corrected, but then turns it into a mission to win that debate based on an irrelevant technicality for purposes of 'being correct'.

There needs to be some sort of contradiction though, because good content would not exist if we had no bad content to compare it to...it would just be content.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: terranx and SO16
Sometimes presentation format matters. My default is to try and treat people with respect, even if they have been abrasive. My research focuses on the impact of communication technology on human behavior, and in general, the further humans get away from face-to-face communications, the greater the chance that people will misunderstand each other, and the more freely they will antagonize each other. Internet technology is one aspect of the polarization we see in America these days.

One small example; humans are more likely to speak carefully, ceteris paribus, when they communicate face-to-face than when they communicate via keyboard and display screen. When we see each other, we realize that we are speaking to a real human being with feelings. The tendency, most strongly related to education (p<0.05), is to treat others with more disrespect when we can hide behind a keyboard and display screen. The more education one has, the more likely they are to treat others with respect (except for Surgeons… they are outliers who in general, treat everyone poorly, regardless of the communication technology format ROTFL). I apologize in advance to those of you here who are surgeons.

One thing each of us can do in order to change the dystopian path our society is on, is to go out of our way to treat each other with kindness and respect. I have written two peer-reviewed books on the subject, both available on Amazon (you can see excerpts for free) if you are interested in this topic. I would not recommend purchasing them (they are written for scholars and contain too much math and regression modeling), but rather, look at the free portions. Search for “Joe West, Communication Technology” and both books should come up.

By the way, I am theologically situated somewhere between Agnosticism and Atheism, so my support of kindness and respect online is purely driven by science and not religion. We can fix this if we try. For the record, the worst abuse I have seen was on a Jeep forum, and the best behavior I have seen is on this forum. We have something special here.

Joe

My posts are regularly dismissed because I could care less about people's feelings. And I also tend to get sucked into unnecessary debates when someone is corrected, but then turns it into a mission to win that debate based on an irrelevant technicality for purposes of 'being correct'.

There needs to be some sort of contradiction though, because good content would not exist if we had no bad content to compare it to...it would just be content.

Par for course in my view. Many dum dums or really weird forum flexing or both.

A few level-headed individuals whose posts I read in whole. 감사합니다. Gracias. Danke.

Btw, I certainly wouldn’t read my own material.

All,

I have been a member of many automobile forums: Jeep, Porsche, Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet (Corvair), Antique Automobiles, BMW, and others I am probably forgetting.

This Tesla forum contains members who, in my opinion, are clearly, significantly, more technical, analytical, and overall communication skills of the members on this forum. Countless times I have read someone’s post and was thoroughly impressed. My background is electrical engineering with a Ph.D (not because I am intelligent, but because I work hard), and quite frankly, I think I am relatively difficult to impress. My job as a professor is one of teaching and criticizing, but there are so many members on this forum who intellectually impress me.

I suspect much of this is driven by the fact that many people are intimidated by owning an EV, and the fact that members of this forum are not intimidated by technology results in a self-selection bias. Regardless, hanging with all of you is the best experience I have ever had on an automobile forum. Merry Christmas my virtual friends.

Joe
About a third of Tesla owners have advanced degrees (self included).

About a third of Tesla owners have advanced degrees (self included).

Hard to say how relevant that is without knowing the stats for new car buyers in general, as well as luxury cars in general (whether or not Tesla is truly luxury is another matter, but the market certainly treats them as such). My gut feeling is if you normalize for income, you’ll see similar rates of advanced degrees. But I don’t know off hand where to find such data, if it’s even readily available.

Income and education are highly correlated, and sometimes difficult to disentangle when using them for control variables. I doubt the data exists, but JD Powers may have information on education across various marquees. I am doubtful if they have it, that they would share it. Regardless, Tesla does not participate in JD Powers research, and one might easily guess why.

Joe