Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking Outside the Box: Model 3 to be offered through Costco?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please read what I wrote, and you quoted. I said 'petroleum based fuels'. Costco sells gasoline. They aren't going to give up that business. Tesla Motors should not, and will not, partner with them to sell, distribute, promote, market, or test drive Model ≡.

This is similar to suggestions that Tesla Motors should work with SHEETZ or Travel Centers of America to co-locate Superchargers. Those truck stops are plentiful and convenient across US highways. They also sell gasoline and diesel by the literal truckload. Tesla won't be partnering with them. Why? Because, as the old parable ends, "B*tch, you knew I was a snake!"

Please read what I wrote, and you quoted. I said 'petroleum based fuels'. Costco sells gasoline. They aren't going to give up that business. Tesla Motors should not, and will not, partner with them to sell, distribute, promote, market, or test drive Model ≡.

This is similar to suggestions that Tesla Motors should work with SHEETZ or Travel Centers of America to co-locate Superchargers. Those truck stops are plentiful and convenient across US highways. They also sell gasoline and diesel by the literal truckload. Tesla won't be partnering with them. Why? Because, as the old parable ends, "B*tch, you knew I was a snake!"

Unlikely, yes, but I wouldn't speak in such absolutes (especially on something we really have no real data on). As for SHEETZ, some of them around here are getting ChaDemo stations: Sheetz Chademo chargers so, again, it's not impossible (gas isn't Sheetz's only revenue in any case).

Yeah, someone pointed to such reports last year, when they suggested SHEETZ. When I looked at their website, there was a photo of their CEO happily receiving their latest, brand spanking new, SHEETZ branded tanker trucks. Given that investment, the relatively tiny contribution of a few EV chargers is of no consequence. And yes, we should all realize by now that the main revenue generation at gas stations of any size tends to be from sales at their convenience stores. The EV chargers just give local LEAF owners a reason to stop by their friendly neighborhood SHEETZ to buy their cigarettes, beer, and potato chips.

Yeah, someone pointed to such reports last year, when they suggested SHEETZ. When I looked at their website, there was a photo of their CEO happily receiving their latest, brand spanking new, SHEETZ branded tanker trucks. Given that investment, the relatively tiny contribution of a few EV chargers is of no consequence. And yes, we should all realize by now that the main revenue generation at gas stations of any size tends to be from sales at their convenience stores. The EV chargers just give local LEAF owners a reason to stop by their friendly neighborhood SHEETZ to buy their cigarettes, beer, and potato chips.

Not to mention folks on long trips that need somewhere to recharge, pee and refuel their bodies. I don't know about Tesla partnering up with any, but I don't automatically write gas chains off as evil gas guzzlers either.

Costco would be a good place to arrange set up of a mobile Tesla Store. They already frequently display cars and boats. It's a high traffic location with good demographics. I have the sense that the sort of people Tesla wants to reach are more likely to be at Costco than a Mall or downtown.

Reactions: Lunarx
Now that would be a good idea. Showing up around Labor Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day would be good opportunities to introduce patrons at big box stores to Tesla Motors products. An excellent application of the Mobile Store experience.

It's different for each state but I believe "Dealerships" have some requirements that you just can't say I'm a dealer. For example they might be required to have a service department, carry inventory, etc.

I think Tesla should hold it's ground and wait for the consumer pressure to break through all these laws. When the Model 3 comes out people are going to want it and they are going to make the changes happen.

I think that Tesla Motors can only afford to wait so long. There is a point where they must go on the attack. That is, I believe, just as they reach a point no more than 18 months from the launch of Model ≡. My guess is that would be Q1 2016 for legal action on the Federal front.

I think that Tesla Motors can only afford to wait so long. There is a point where they must go on the attack. That is, I believe, just as they reach a point no more than 18 months from the launch of Model ≡. My guess is that would be Q1 2016 for legal action on the Federal front.

Tesla went on the attack when they built a car outside the normal paradigm box, years ahead of anyone else, including sales models. There is no reason to see why Costco would be better than Target or WalMart, or any other store that invites a local dealer to set up cars in front of their place. Oh, yeah, Costco offers a 10% discount, right? Tesla offers the whole deal without the dealer markup already, and has thousands of happy owners (not sleazy sales guys who were hired a week ago) showing off their cars and bubbling over with information and offers for test rides. I don't see Tesla worrying about how to increase sales. So far they have had zero advertising. Putting a car in front of Costco is -- advertising. And Costco rents their space and image to the dealer to make sales. I hope I never see it.

Tesla says that each owner sells about a car a year. I know I have sold about four times that many. We don't need no ****in' Costcos.

Why? When buyers can order the car on the net and pick it up in another state or have it delivered, are those dealership protection laws really that much of an impediment to sales? A nuisance perhaps, but otherwise not that big of a deal.

It might be best for Tesla to just to hang back and wait for their car buyers and supporters to wear down the recalcitrant state legislators. As opposed to spending big bucks on lobbying.

Why? When buyers can order the car on the net and pick it up in another state or have it delivered, are those dealership protection laws really that much of an impediment to sales? A nuisance perhaps, but otherwise not that big of a deal.
This is only one data point, but a couple of months ago, it was reported that there were only 50 Model S's registered in Michigan -- I know that's gone up some since, but I can't help but think that the fact that you can't buy it in Michigan and can't take it to a Michigan service center has something to do with the low numbers.

This is only one data point, but a couple of months ago, it was reported that there were only 50 Model S's registered in Michigan -- I know that's gone up some since, but I can't help but think that the fact that you can't buy it in Michigan and can't take it to a Michigan service center has something to do with the low numbers.
On the other hand, reports suggest that there are quite a number of Teslas in Texas, another state that has banned selling from the showrooms. I would guess that culture and climate play a role in the adoption rate of EVs, in addition to the accessibility of showrooms and service center locations (which, I presume, are not restricted by those dealership laws).

Here the thing is... Sure. Anyone, anywhere in the United States of America can purchase a Tesla Motors product. All they have to do is log on to a website and place an order. Cool.

But...

The singular best weapon that Tesla Motors has in their sales arsenal is the test drive. The 'independent franchised dealerships' are fully aware of that fact. When Tesla Motors was a teensy weensy company that built 2,500 vehicles over the course of three years, none of them cared about any of the exemptions they got to sell cars. But once the Model S was released to critical acclaim, and became among the top sellers in class, and other high end vehicles took much longer than usual to sell as Customers didn't seem to mind waiting up to three months to get a car instead of choosing from stock on the lot.

Yes, to me service centers are more important than test drives. I think Tesla can work around the test drive problem with rentals and special events.
The reason I'm not concerned, currently, about the US dealership situation is that:
- there aren't many states where Tesla can't have service centers
- word of mouth and peer test drives are the best form of advertising
- People buy online all the time
- people don't trust dealerships, and buying from Tesla is not buying from an out of state dealer. Given early adopters and early pragmatists supporting peers, and a good product, I think that issue will rapidly be overcome. (I also think that it could help some of the volume dealers who are already geared to Interstate sales.)
- Tesla is still currently selling "rich men's toys" which doesn't have the political effect that a more affordable, high-demand car would have
- CA and several other key large US markets do not have barriers to selling.
- The rest of the world isn't like the USA and a $35k long-distance electric has huge potential in many other countries, especially those with high fuel prices.

On the other hand, reports suggest that there are quite a number of Teslas in Texas, another state that has banned selling from the showrooms. I would guess that culture and climate play a role in the adoption rate of EVs, in addition to the accessibility of showrooms and service center locations (which, I presume, are not restricted by those dealership laws).
The difference between Texas and Michigan is that there are galleries and service facilities in Texas. Both are forbidden in Michigan -- they can't even advertise in the state. Tesla can show the car once a year at the North American International Auto Show (just the display, no test drives); otherwise, the only way you can see it in person is if you randomly see one on the road. The nearest showrooms are several hours from the border. I live in Ann Arbor, a very EV-friendly town with plenty of people with the means to shell out for a Model S -- most of the people I've talked with haven't even heard of the car. I think it's a pretty big ask to expect people to buy a car over the web that they haven't seen in person, let alone test-driven, and to expect them to be ok with all of the service being done out-of-state.

Yes, to me service centers are more important than test drives. I think Tesla can work around the test drive problem with rentals and special events.
The reason I'm not concerned, currently, about the US dealership situation is that:
- there aren't many states where Tesla can't have service centers
You overlook the fact that the most aggressive attacks against Tesla Motors' preferred sales method would have outright banned their operations unless they submitted to contracting with 'independent franchised dealerships'. Missouri would have forced the closure of an existing Service Center and possibly prevented any Supercharger installations as well if some last minute legislation had not been stopped last year. Iowa stopped an event planned at a hotel based on complaints lodged by a dealership, then revoked Tesla's ability to do business there. Michigan removed a single word from existing law and effectively banned Tesla Motors for life -- or until they agree to only promote sales through 'independent franchised dealerships'.

A test drive is not that important to me, personally. I have literally never had a test drive of any vehicle, new or used, prior to purchasing it. But the revelation of what makes electric drive so much better than ICE is immediately compelling, practically infectious, readily apparent, and not easily ignored by anyone with a pulse that drives a Tesla Product for the first time. Dealership organizations are fully aware of that fact. That is why they work so hard to eliminate any possibility of potential Customers being able to test drive Model S. I expect them to redouble their efforts once Model X is also available for test drives. Because SUVs and minivans are both high volume, high margin market segments, having a viable electric vehicle -- with Tesla levels of performance -- placed against them could cause a disruption that might not be survivable by traditional ICE vehicles.

It isn't so much a matter of what is 'more important'. It is instead a matter of setting priorities. Once it is sorted out that Tesla Motors can sell direct, the question of test drives and service centers becomes moot. Because each is an included subset of sales and operations.

- word of mouth and peer test drives are the best form of advertising
- People buy online all the time
Tesla Motors sold perhaps 0.001 of all the new passenger vehicles purchased in the United States of America last year. Something tells me a lot more Friends and Family were given test rides in Ford F-150s during 2014. The Model S is not a high volume vehicle. One-on-one showings of it cannot be the best means of introducing the entire nation to Tesla Motors. It would simply take too long, and Tesla doesn't have that kind if time.

They must have brick and mortar locations in order to solidify their market presence in the minds of the populace. Not everyone in the world is comfortable with the idea of buying so much as a pizza over the internet. They will go to Rosario's and place their order at the takeout window. True enough, the point of sale system used by their waiter may be tied to the exact same internet database, and their order may be filled the same as it would have from their home PC. But some still need to have human interaction for the sake of personal comfort with the experience.

The Great State of Virginia originally proposed to ban even online sales of Tesla Motors products. The Lone Star State of Texas was poised to follow suit in that regard. Then someone pointed out to them that it was against Federal law, and the US Constitution, to restrict interstate sales. And those provisions were dropped/waived in favor of restrictions related solely to Tesla's actions within those states.

- people don't trust dealerships, and buying from Tesla is not buying from an out of state dealer. Given early adopters and early pragmatists supporting peers, and a good product, I think that issue will rapidly be overcome. (I also think that it could help some of the volume dealers who are already geared to Interstate sales.)
Again, the only reason it is possible to buy a Tesla Motors product anywhere in the United States is because no single state can outlaw interstate commerce in any industry. Tesla Motors is not allowed to 'sell' cars in Texas and other States where they are restricted to having Galleries instead of Stores. But any citizen of those States can buy a car from the California based company.

- Tesla is still currently selling "rich men's toys" which doesn't have the political effect that a more affordable, high-demand car would have
The problem is that the actions of 'independent franchised dealerships' are meant to prevent the easy exposure to the 'more affordable' cars that Tesla Motors will offer in the next two years. Dealership organizations are fully aware that people who had never purchased a vehicle in excess of $40,000 before have bought Model S, even if it were a stretch. They know it was a test drive that compelled that leap of faith. They know that Model ≡ will likely cause people who had never spent over $20,000 for a car to stretch to the $35,000+ price range when presented with a similar option. It was bad enough when it took weeks or months longer than usual to move premium cars because Tesla Model S entered the market. It will be far worse when such a slowdown threatens perennial favorites such as Accord, Camry, Fusion, Malibu, et al, as buyers realize they don't mind paying a little more, and waiting a little longer, for the privilege of driving the best possible car they can afford.

- CA and several other key large US markets do not have barriers to selling.
No. Every State that allows Tesla Motors to sell does so with concessions that are balanced with limits and barriers. The terms vary from one State to the next. Some expect Tesla to use 'independent franchised dealerships' once they have sold a certain quantity of vehicles, or upon review at a later date, or if they need more tha certain number of locations. These compromises are all based upon the notion that eventually Tesla will tow the line and sell 'just like everyone else'.

- The rest of the world isn't like the USA and a $35k long-distance electric has huge potential in many other countries, especially those with high fuel prices.

The world is not enough. No one has ever been elected President of the United States of America without winning their home state. Tesla Motors must be successful, here, in the US, at all costs. TSLA will take a major hit, though it would be survivable, if Tesla sales were truly banned everywhere but California due to dealership franchise laws. Sure, lots of cars are sold in this State, and a significant portion of Tesla sales will always be here. But it will be very hard to challenge total sales on the National scale if the dealership issues are not resolved in Tesla's favor before the release of Model ≡.

• Informative
... But it will be very hard to challenge total sales on the National scale if the dealership issues are not resolved in Tesla's favor before the release of Model ≡.

The Texas legislature won't even meet again for 2 more years so the chances of it being resolved here are slim to none before Model 3's hit. I don't see a significant problem, however, with a few states still being dumb with their laws for a few years past the Model 3 launch.

The Texas legislature won't even meet again for 2 more years so the chances of it being resolved here are slim to none before Model 3's hit. I don't see a significant problem, however, with a few states still being dumb with their laws for a few years past the Model 3 launch.

Yep, Spring of 2017 is when they will meet again.

MAYBE after Model 3 is introduced in late 2017, and all of 2018 when it cranks up production and becomes widely available, enough Buzz will develop so that when the Texas Legislature meets in 2019 the Legislator's will at least have an idea about the impact that Teslas and specifically the Model 3 will be having on car sales, and future car sales.

Texas Auto Dealers are greedy and arrogant Son-of-a-guns and they have very deep pockets to sway politicians' votes.
The politicians here live and abide by the other Golden Rule: "Them's that have the Gold Rules".

Or maybe Tesla will have developed another mode of operation than their current Gallery only methodology.
Time will tell.