Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking Outside the Box: Model 3 to be offered through Costco?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think if nothing else this would be a great way for more people to see a Model 3 (or any Tesla) up close. There's usually some model of car at the front of my Costco (I imagine it's similar all over) and there's certainly more Costco stores than Tesla stores, it would likely give the mass consumer their first up close, in person look at a Tesla vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
God. No. Not again.

~*sigh*~

No. Tesla Motors will not be selling their cars through big box stores. There is no additional benefit to be had by using someone else's distribution infrastructure. Especially when they have already shown a willingness to sell petroleum based fuels.

Not "through" big box stores... but they are trying to sell them "at" big box stores. Or rather a Nordstrom location... with Tesla employees.
Tesla will soon sell EVs at a Nordstrom store in LA

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx and Red Sage
Costco used to have EV charging stations in front of most of their stores but got rid of them years ago due to lack of use. Costco does listen to suggestions from it's customers, so go to their website and request they bring back EV chargers. Given how EV cars rapidly becoming common, they might just bring the chargers back this time.

• Helpful
Costco 'sells' cars... but not directly, themselves. They enter into agreements with local 'independent franchised dealerships'... Then they direct their Customers to those middlemen, with a predetermined 'deal' in hand. Because of this, Tesla Motors should avoid any attempt to work with Costco, because that might be seen as their making a deal with a franchise.

• Helpful
Not "through" big box stores... but they are trying to sell them "at" big box stores. Or rather a Nordstrom location... with Tesla employees. Tesla will soon sell EVs at a Nordstrom store in LA

I think this idea may just work ... :cool:

upload_2016-6-17_0-56-44.png

Costco would want some Value Add, for their members.
Such as; discount, extra warranty, options packages....

Costco could use their website to take the order or allow their Deal Code to be used at a Tesla Store.

Not sure how Costco could handle Test Drives, but I suppose that can be handled from the Tire Centers.

I like the Costco idea (bought my Volt through the Costco Program).

The Nordstrom idea seems wierd to me.
I shop at Nordstrom but don't want to deal with them for a car transaction.