Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theory: Model X has "transparent" A pillars (see-through video)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still wondering if it is tin foil, or merely dampening material and cabling (or indeed partially the airbag) under a removed A pillar cover. The (recycled?) stuff they put underneath car paneling can look pretty wild at times. :)

I would definitely call burrito holders speculative.

One thing is sure, a screen / transparent pillar video it is not.

The way that the A pillar curves down is striking - it transforms the little triangular windows seen in the Model S into ellipses. I cannot imagine them making the A pillar so large and obstructive to view without having something in mind for them.

Better spy shot today where we can unfortunately see the aluminum paper, with some blue pencil X sign on it. Too bad, I was really looking forward to have to invisible pillars ;-(
View attachment 75990

I've noticed something in this photo that doesn't seem to have been discussed - at least not that I've seen, though I may have missed it. There appears to be a camera or some other sort of sensor at the top of the driver's window at the back, just below the chrome edge to the roof. Is that a side view camera? Or is it just something like a drain hole and the S has them too?

Robert.

I've noticed something in this photo that doesn't seem to have been discussed - at least not that I've seen, though I may have missed it. There appears to be a camera or some other sort of sensor at the top of the driver's window at the back, just below the chrome edge to the roof. Is that a side view camera? Or is it just something like a drain hole and the S has them too?

Robert.
good catch.
too low resolution to make something out though. It would be the best spot for such a device since its easy to clean and hard to get dirty.

Robert.

The car has been rumoured to have so many sensors (falcon sensors, front/rear bumper sensors, radar, side-cameras, etc.) that maybe its just another door sensor (for the soon-to-be-announced automatic front doors) to prevent it opening into a wall. You'll probably need to get the tech package to get these auto doors. Its just a guess.

If it is a camera I thought it would be useful for several things

1. Creating part of the overhead view for reversing
2. Checking for obstructions when opening the falcon wing doors
3. Autonomous driving, where having more information about what's going on to the side of the car could be useful

We'll probably find out one day...

Robert.

If it is a camera I thought it would be useful for several things

1. Creating part of the overhead view for reversing
2. Checking for obstructions when opening the falcon wing doors
3. Autonomous driving, where having more information about what's going on to the side of the car could be useful

We'll probably find out one day...

:tongue::biggrin:

Another shot showing the exposed A pillar. What is that black thing on the A pillar, I wonder.

model_x_a_pillar.jpg

Also, note no rear view mirror... Plenty of interesting stuff, even though the video-see-through A pillar turned out to be a pipedream. :)

More on the image here.

Thx.

1) No rear-view mirror means your drive-x is needed AND the big panorama front window could be one piece till falcon wing doors.

2) I'll stick to my opinion, they do something with the inside a-pillar and I bet for replacing mirrors and installing some LCD there (what is not in this mule yet)

Thx. No rear-view mirror means your drive-x is needed AND the big panorama front window could be one piece till falcon wing doors.

I guess in theory, if they move the front-seeing cameras to the front bumper, they could do a front glass without anything on it... extending all the way to the middle support before the falcon wings.

But I think the mule(s) show some evidence of frontal recognition cameras or something in there where the rear-view mirror normally would be...

Now, of course, legislative reasons might dictate otherwise for the rear view mirror in production...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, NVidia Drive PX supports a driver-monitoring camera... that black thing near the A pillar could be a driver-monitoring camera?