Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y 2023 - Missing spare CANBUS/OBD plug near A pillar - No more aftermarket gadgets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 10.25" HUD screen, but am having trouble installing it on a Model Y 2023.

According to lots of source materials for these aftermarket gadgets, there's suppose to be a spare blue CANBUS/OBD socket located near the passenger A pillar area, however I've found that my Model Y 2023 comes with no spare CANBUS/OBD sockets!?

I've attached a photo of what I mean.

All the Youtube videos, manuals indicate there should be a blue CANBUS/OBD socket near passenger A pillar. See below:

tesla-canbus1.jpg

However, I just took off my Model Y 2023 and it's occupied. I wonder what uses it? Did Tesla nuke this spare adapter? I tried plugging my 10.25 HUD screen into that blue socket as the HUD screen comes with a pass-through adapter, but the HUD screen doesn't function properly (car stats, odometer show 0).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tesla-canbus2.jpg

Sorry, I should indicate that this is an Australian RHD variant from Shanghai factory (RWD). If others are seeing a spare socket in their MY 2023 deliveries, it might be more appropraite to move this to Australian region category?

You can get a jumper cable that has four open ports on it. I had to get one as I have three products that needed the port. If youre ordering from Hansshow, they will send you one. Just make sure to write them via WhatsApp and ask for it. Other suppliers might do the same as well.

You can get a jumper cable that has four open ports on it. I had to get one as I have three products that needed the port. If youre ordering from Hansshow, they will send you one. Just make sure to write them via WhatsApp and ask for it. Other suppliers might do the same as well.

PauliePicks "What month was your MY built? Is it an Austin build? Seems like most 3rd party manufacturers have a “not compatible with Model Y made February 2023 or after” disclaimer with some products. I believe Tesla also removed the blue canbus connection behind the center console below the rear vent on these MY builds." - Questions About Hansshow Android 4G 10.25-inch Tesla Model 3 Y Instrument Cluster Heads Up Display

I think Tesla is cracking down on aftermarket upgrades? Would using an adapter work on that blue adapter? (It didn't seem to work on my 10.25" screen. I got power (cuts in and out), but no car info (speed, odometer, etc)

I would be keen to see if any one is able to install this screen or other similar screens if their vehicle is post Feb 2023 build.

interesting- well this is what I found, - Tesla needs some type of hard connector for service access. good luck, bummer this isn't standardized across all ev's

The Tesla Model 3 and Model Y are not equipped with a standard OBD2 port. Instead, a console connector is available at the back seat of the vehicle, wherein you can plug-in an OBD2 tool or device using a Tesla OBD2 adapter.

The Tesla Model 3 and Y’s diagnostic port require a diagnostic port cable adapter and an ELM327 or STN1110 compatible OBD2 tool or device. The most commonly used OBD2 tools for Tesla Models are the OBDLink LX or MX Bluetooth devices.

The security features programmed in the Tesla Model 3 and Y make it hard to configure or hack the system and the critical functionalities of the vehicle. Thus, connecting to the vehicle's diagnostic port will only allow users to access and display the vehicle’s live data using diagnostic apps or software.
-courtesy of google search

Did you check your driver side? I remember seeing somewhere that it’s always on the right side a pillar.

Yes, you are correct!!!
Instruction booklet and every Youtube video said it was on passenger side, but I found the blue spare CANBUS/OBD port on the driver's side pillar. This was for a Model Y 2023 (Right Hand Drive RHD vehicle). Managed to get the 10.25" HUD working by inserting it into spare blue drivers side port/adapter. (The one on the passenger side did not work).

modely-march-2023-canbus-obj-location1.jpg

Reactions: dino007
Yes, you are correct!!!
Instruction booklet and every Youtube video said it was on passenger side, but I found the blue spare CANBUS/OBD port on the driver's side pillar. This was for a Model Y 2023 (Right Hand Drive RHD vehicle). Managed to get the 10.25" HUD working by inserting it into spare blue drivers side port/adapter. (The one on the passenger side did not work).

View attachment 935685
Regardless of vehicle being LHD or RHD the CANBUS/OBD is always on vehicle right side A pillar. Just trying to clarify

Yes, you are correct!!!

View attachment 935685
Thx for sharing guys. I couldnt find the spare blue OBD port so I piggy back on the blue plug on passenger side and obviously had no luck... I just spend hours this morning trying to see if there was something I missed (WTF!!!). At least now I know whats is wrong. Problem i have now is I have routed all of the cable to passenger side footwell (battery connection, front camera) and already punch a hole in the passenger side firewall/groumet so how did u route ur cables ALSE? Is the wiring harness long enough to reach driverside OBD plug with cables going to frunk on passengerside? Or did u feed the connections in the frunk through driverside?

Reach out to the manufacturer or seller of the HUD screen for assistance.

Maybe also contact companies selling OBD2 adapters, such as BBFly, and ask if they have a solution for your 2023 Tesla.

Those adapters in general are used by fleets companies to install various vehicles monitoring devices.
I needed such adaper for the OBD2 based, Android App "Scan My Tesla".

Yes, you are correct!!!

View attachment 935685
@ALSE Is the power source somewhere there as well? I also have the same issue and can't find it on the passenger side. As far as I know, for my Model Y AMD version, I need to connect to the blue port along with the power source. Or did it work for you just by connecting to the blue port?