Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y 2023 - Missing spare CANBUS/OBD plug near A pillar - No more aftermarket gadgets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 10.25" HUD screen, but am having trouble installing it on a Model Y 2023.

According to lots of source materials for these aftermarket gadgets, there's suppose to be a spare blue CANBUS/OBD socket located near the passenger A pillar area, however I've found that my Model Y 2023 comes with no spare CANBUS/OBD sockets!?

I've attached a photo of what I mean.

All the Youtube videos, manuals indicate there should be a blue CANBUS/OBD socket near passenger A pillar. See below:

View attachment 933198

However, I just took off my Model Y 2023 and it's occupied. I wonder what uses it? Did Tesla nuke this spare adapter? I tried plugging my 10.25 HUD screen into that blue socket as the HUD screen comes with a pass-through adapter, but the HUD screen doesn't function properly (car stats, odometer show 0).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 933199
Hi,
i have tesla model 3 and manufactured 7.21 shanghai. I know that there is an OBD bus behind the center console, but the question is, is this also an OBD bus? Can I put my OBD cable in there and then connect the OBD reader to the cable, then read the car information Scan my Tesla app?
below is the a-pillar from my car
IMG_2483.jpeg

2023 Y performance LHD Fremont November build here. Right hand A pillar has a WHITE plug, but it’s the same plug and works with the new button commander gen 2. Just installed. Didn’t look to see if the blue connector under rear vents was there like on my 2022 model.

Looking for an update to this discussion - I have a Jan 2024 Austin build MYLR and want to know where the 'data plug' is located. I have read it's in 4 different locations - center console driver side behind carpet cover, left and right A pillar footwell kick panels, and the rear console cover at floor level (accessible via the rear seat area).

Does anyone know which is the correct location for my car? I would like to minimize vehicle disassembly trying to find it :)

Thank you.

Reactions: VipinLJ
Looking for an update to this discussion - I have a Jan 2024 Austin build MYLR and want to know where the 'data plug' is located. I have read it's in 4 different locations - center console driver side behind carpet cover, left and right A pillar footwell kick panels, and the rear console cover at floor level (accessible via the rear seat area).

Does anyone know which is the correct location for my car? I would like to minimize vehicle disassembly trying to find it :)

Thank you.

Piggybacking on this.

I have. December 2023 MYLR (I believe it was built in October or November 2023 - the car isn't with me right now so can't check the door sill plate). I tried removing the trim under the center console some time last week and for the life in me, it wouldn't budge at all. I could get my trim tool underneath through the bottom area (between the plastic cover and carpeted floor) but it didn't come out. There was no way my trim tool would fit in through the top part (between the plastic cover and the bottom of the air vent area).

I tried ordering a screen online and the vendor said my car might not have the blue port under the plastic trim and only a port in the front. There's no way I can confirm it right now and any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: FMinMI
My 2024 Austin-built LR has the plug in the rear of the center console and it drives my commander fine. To get the cover off I had to get fingers under the cover and then just sort of pull one side out. It feels like you're going to break something but it works.

Thank you very much for that. I'm hoping mine has it there as well. I just watched a video (from the SEXY button people) where they say some cars have it in front (under the carpet on the side in the driver's side area). I'll get my car back in a couple of days and can check again.

I remember trying to use a little force but I was afraid the plastic trim was going to break and didn't want to use any more force. I'll try once again to see if I can pop the cover off.

Thank you.
Update - I found one behind the passenger side kick panel/A pillar where I connected my Satonic HUD to, but I ALSO pulled off the rear cover on the center console and found one there too. There was nothing in the center console, drivers side behind the carpet covering it. I never looked on the driver side kick panel/A pillar.

Reactions: VipinLJ