Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside the Model X mule - Looking closely...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
Interior of the Model X mule has been seen partially in the latest spy shootings, so as these sightings accumulate, I thought it would be useful to discuss them in a separate thread:

Picture 1 - Spied: 2016 Tesla Model X

tesla model x in palo alto - YouTube

What do you spot from these images?

Some things:

- Exposed A pillar, there's a thread for that
- There seems to be a bright square in the passenger side door, merely exposed panels, a testing screen or a glimmer of hope for those wishing for dedicated side-camera screens? Or just a smartphone hanging there...
- Big screen is no longer extending over the dash
- Dash style seems more Model S than Model X prototype
- Is that a coat hook on the B pillar/falcon wing? Probably not, exposed interior rather...?
- Seats seem very Model S
- One of the images show how tall the front window is, light can be seen seeping through the camo over driver/passenger's head
- The non-opening slice on the falcon wings is transparent too, so a (partial) window perhaps?

model_x_interior.jpg

There are definitely a lot more similarities with the Model S interior than the early prototypes would lead you to believe. The front seats are definitely the same as Model S, and lack the adjustable headrests of the prototypes. The steering wheel also appears to be the same as Model S, and lacks the touchscreen controls. Now, some of this may be just because these are beta units and they are using existing components as they are not the focus of their testing. However, it would make a lot of sense to have commonality with Model S to keep costs down.

Part of my reasoning to wait for Model X (aside from wanting a crossover) is the expectation that the interior will be improved versus Model S. If they are in fact virtually identical, there will be less of a reason to wait and I may just get a S85D.

Part of my reasoning to wait for Model X (aside from wanting a crossover) is the expectation that the interior will be improved versus Model S. If they are in fact virtually identical, there will be less of a reason to wait and I may just get a S85D.

This. ^^ It's a great example of why I don't participate in the "analysis" in these threads. People are making potential buying decisions off of pure speculation.

timf - I've stated my opinion that what is seen on the road is misleading. I would not base ANY current buying decision off of the speculation going on in these threads. Others may disagree. And of course you won't be unhappy with an S85D. But I'd wait, if I were you, until Tesla shows the final production vehicle before making any final decision.

This. ^^ It's a great example of why I don't participate in the "analysis" in these threads. People are making potential buying decisions off of pure speculation.

timf - I've stated my opinion that what is seen on the road is misleading. I would not base ANY current buying decision off of the speculation going on in these threads. Others may disagree. And of course you won't be unhappy with an S85D. But I'd wait, if I were you, until Tesla shows the final production vehicle before making any final decision.
I'm not planning to make a decision before the production model is shown. It's why I'm so eager for them to show it already. I'm locked into my current lease until November anyway, so the bigger question is how long after my car is due to be returned do I have to wait before I can take delivery of a Model X.

I'm not planning to make a decision before the production model is shown. It's why I'm so eager for them to show it already. I'm locked into my current lease until November anyway, so the bigger question is how long after my car is due to be returned do I have to wait before I can take delivery of a Model X.

Do you have a reservation in hand?

bonnie: Pointing those risks out is perfectly fair of course. Preliminary, unofficial and partial information can be misleading. Use at your own risk, of course. That said, also official information can be misleading, because it is in the interest of companies to withhold information for business reasons.

Where is your concern for people who buy a car two weeks before "D+A"? Because it is not in Tesla's interest to tell you about "D+A" two weeks earlier. These people, too, get hurt because they made a decision off insufficient information. They too clearly are disappointed and TMC is full of them. Let's not pretend it is a one-way street. Sometimes one info works better, other times the other.

Even "wait until Tesla shows the final production vehicle" is not that simple. Model X has been delayed many times. What if one has a lease ending and they need to decide. Tesla stays mum. The person leases an F-150 for three years and Tesla comes out with Model X the next day. Any concern for that guy?

Many times car companies launch a product with partial features, some news only coming after some months of launch, because they didn't quite make the original date. Companies won't tell you what those are, so you wouldn't delay your order. Unofficial information might tip you off and let you make a better decision and wait a bit more until that extra thing materializes. This goes far beyond Tesla and some warmed steering wheels, I've seen much worse in the industry that has made a new car sour for lots of people.

For some reason in the past six months I've felt your concern over disappointed customers who would use unofficial information, and I do share that hence the careful wordings and multi-faceted ponderings, but I haven't heard you share much thought for the customers who felt betrayed by information omissions from Tesla. I guess you consider the latter normal, which I'm sure it is, and simply collateral damage whom nobody should complain about, but that's why I think - on the balance - it serves the community to gather complementary information unofficially.

Companies information policies serve their business interests - and that's how it should be, of course. It may be in the interest of private individuals and their communities to have complimentary avenues of information, because not always do those corporate and private interests meet.

Even "wait until Tesla shows the final production vehicle" is not that simple. Model X has been delayed many times. What if one has a lease ending and they need to decide. Tesla stays mum. The person leases an F-150 for three years and Tesla comes out with Model X the next day. Any concern for that guy?

Now you're just making it up as you go along. It can't possibly be the 'next day'. First, Mr. F150 needs to have had a reservation for at least a couple of years already otherwise there's no way he can get a Model X in 2015. Second, we know that Model X's aren't going to start production until sometime in the Q32015. If Mr. F150 doesn't have a reservation within the first handful he's not getting a Model X in Q3. I don't think I need to go on with the logic.

None of your speculation threads addresses ANY of the other points you discuss in your post #8.

Agree 100%.
We haven't seen the final version.
But the one thing that I find intriguing in these pictures is that there could indeed be something really interesting hidden on those pillars. Much as I don't want cameras instead of mirrors (please, let's not start this discussion again - I'm just stating my personal preference), I could be convinced that some form of camera related display gizmo is hidden there...

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a reservation in hand?
That's the problem with Tapatalk... you don't see people's signatures... timf states "Model X Reservation #10053" in his signature.
(I'm assuming you are using Tapatalk... otherwise I guess you would have seen the signature... or can one turn that off in the web interface as well? Don't know)

Agree 100%.
We haven't seen the final version.
But the one thing that I find intriguing in these pictures is that there could indeed be something really interesting hidden on those pillars. Much as I don't want cameras instead of mirrors (please, let's not start this discussion again - I'm just stating my personal preference), I could be convinced that some form of camera related display gizmo is hidden there...

Obviously we haven't seen the final version. And because that is true, I must stress a very simple explanation for all the missing panels inside, could be the fact that the car is a frankenstinian monster and mix and match, where interior elements just literally don't fit it.

That said, I jestingly suggested do any of you know what department the driver works in. Because I think we must stop for a moment to consider where could such a frankenstinian monster be useful. They sure aren't doing aerodynamics testing with that thing. No, the real model is in a wind tunnel in Fremont or somewhere.

They could be testing systems that require actual traffic. And that may be the reason we are seeing actual sensors and cameras amongst those frankenstinian bits and bobs. And that's why the details are interesting, because they may actually matter.

Now, this doesn't mean the exterior elements overall would be irrelevant. They may still offer valuable clues to the design progress and direction.

That said, I jestingly suggested do any of you know what department the driver works in. Because I think we must stop for a moment to consider where could such a frankenstinian monster be useful. They sure aren't doing aerodynamics testing with that thing. No, the real model is in a wind tunnel in Fremont or somewhere.

They could be testing systems that require actual traffic. And that may be the reason we are seeing actual sensors and cameras amongst those frankenstinian bits and bobs. And that's why the details are interesting, because they may actually matter.

Now, this doesn't mean the exterior elements overall would be irrelevant. They may still offer valuable clues to the design progress and direction.
So what would you test in real traffic...
- auto pilot features - requires sensors to be in the right spot, everything is irrelevant
- real world performance (things they can't simulate indoors) - requires weight and aerodynamics to be reasonably close
- real world functionality (visibility when doing lane changes for example) - for this they'd need windows and mirrors to be accurate
What else can you think of that you'd need to test outside the factory? I'm sure I'm missing stuff...

So what would you test in real traffic...
- auto pilot features - requires sensors to be in the right spot, everything is irrelevant
- real world performance (things they can't simulate indoors) - requires weight and aerodynamics to be reasonably close
- real world functionality (visibility when doing lane changes for example) - for this they'd need windows and mirrors to be accurate
What else can you think of that you'd need to test outside the factory? I'm sure I'm missing stuff...

I guess they could do some suspension or braking or steering testing or such, assuming everything else but body panel parts are final?

Wow. AR, you seem to be creating like 5 new threads a day dissecting MX mule photos. Are you going to keep this up until there's an official reveal? I think you're reading way too much in to these photos and sightings. Anything on these test cars that looks a bit weird or different is very unlikely to be design features and very much more likely to be the result of these cars being hand built crude test vehicles.

I guess they could do some suspension or braking or steering testing or such, assuming everything else but body panel parts are final?
Yes - and especially suspension / breaking / steering on actual real roads with different surfaces, different wear and tear, at freeway speed. They should send some up here to Oregon so they can test them on our terrible roads... freeways around the Bay Area feel so much smoother to me than what we have here...
(and neither come close to the smoothness of the Autobahn...)

Wow. AR, you seem to be creating like 5 new threads a day dissecting MX mule photos. Are you going to keep this up until there's an official reveal? I think you're reading way too much in to these photos and sightings. Anything on these test cars that looks a bit weird or different is very unlikely to be design features and very much more likely to be the result of these cars being hand built crude test vehicles.

To answer your question, am I going to keep this until an official reveal, absolutely not.

That said, I doubt I'm reading too much into them, because I'm not actually reading much into them as it stands. I'm dissecting them solely so we can discuss them and decide what, if anything, we should make of them. The A pillars thread was a great example - we got to the bottom of it together as a group of people.

Some guy dissected the Android app APK to reveal news of Model S roof options. I'm all for that. Next week it is someone else dissecting something else and that's how communities roll. This weekend was my turn to give back.

Not all of it will matter, not all of it will be accurate, but some will strike gold - and much will be entertaining. :)

That's the problem with Tapatalk... you don't see people's signatures... timf states "Model X Reservation #10053" in his signature.
(I'm assuming you are using Tapatalk... otherwise I guess you would have seen the signature... or can one turn that off in the web interface as well? Don't know)
Yes, I've had a reservation since last May. At the time they were quoting Summer 2015 delivery for new reservations and I figured 18 months in advance would be plenty of time, but at this point I think I'd be lucky to get it by the end of 2015 and it's looking more like Q1 2016.

I'm enjoying all the speculation and it's good to see a tangible product on the road testing, regardless of how close or far it is from the finished production. The key is that the schedule does not slip any further, but I already have a couple Plan Bs in mind.

Sorry to interrupt, but I am crazy enough to talk on-topic.

@AR nice find with the missing touch panel at the Steering wheel. This is one concern I had about the 2012 prototype. Sure in that actual mule, they could simply use a ModelS steering wheel, but I really hope they take oldschool mechanical controls instead of micro touch panels.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about LCD-City and love to loose as much buttons as possible, but only at the steering wheel I don't think theiy are ergonomic or intuitive enough.

Sorry to interrupt, but I am crazy enough to talk on-topic.

@AR nice find with the missing touch panel at the Steering wheel. This is one concern I had about the 2012 prototype. Sure in that actual mule, they could simply use a ModelS steering wheel, but I really hope they take oldschool mechanical controls instead of micro touch panels.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about LCD-City and love to loose as much buttons as possible, but only at the steering wheel I don't think theiy are ergonomic or intuitive enough.

Thank you. On-topic is always great! :)

I'm a bit torn on the topic of LCDs on the steering wheel. I mean, I'd love the configurability - and with Tesla I love the fact that when they have hardware that allows software modification they take that to the extreme eventually, so you'd never know how much cool stuff Tesla might do with additional touchscreen... That said, I'm with you about the tactile and ergonomic issues regarding steering wheel controls.

I don't know what to wish for in this case. I wonder if tactile touchscreen technology is too much to wish for yet - or whether it would help at all either.