Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The worst supercharger park job I've ever seen. Any others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The supercharger cables are short, you have to back in pretty close in some places, the photo in the OP is obviously at night, and there's obviously other open charging spaces; maybe it was someone's first time at a supercharger, we don't have to assume it was an intentionally bad act that the owner does regularly do we? Sure, it's a silly way to park but I'd have left a polite note and then give the benefit of the doubt. No need for shaming, doxing, warnings or lynchings....
:smile:

Agreed! +1

Please forgive my ignorance, as I do not own a Tesla yet and have not studied Supercharger layouts. Please correct my misunderstanding (it's possible this owner has the same thought).

Do I understand correctly that the "A" and "B" ports are both on the same charger, and one should avoid whenever possible having cars hooked to them both as it will slow charging?

If so, maybe this person is trying to block the second unit in the pair from being used, since it is obviously a less than crowded facility? Or maybe they THINK that's what they are doing?

I can imagine it's less than stellar for all involved if one pulls into 1A with no cars at the Supercharger and goes to dinner, only to have another single car pull into 1B when all the other slots are empty.

I have no idea if the pairs are adjacent, or even if there is any consistency in configuration.

Last edited:
I'll stay on the side of Wall of Shame and disagree with you, Nigel. As an example, when my father, at the age of 93, hit the parked police car, it was the last piece of evidence we his children needed to insist he cancel his driver's license and stop driving.

The state he was living in disagreed, and permitted him to keep driving. As far as I am concerned, they were taking the same attitude as you, which I'll characterize as mollycoddling. And wrong.

We offspring effectively held our collective breaths throughout the rest of his life, wondering....well...at what horrific end-game would result. We and the rest of the world were lucky he passed on before the otherwise inevitable catastrophe.

Too draconian a parallel? I think not, in that I, as another Model S driver, would like to hold others to a standard that does not have a very high bar: drive and park considerately. Full stop.

After viewing the OP's photo, I have to say: MIND BLOWN. I cannot imagine what excuse that Tesla owner could provide for the position he/she left their car charging in. There is no rational excuse that could be offered. None. If the excuse is they are unable to back up their car in that environment, then I'm sorry but they should not be driving. Backing up a car reasonable accurately is a necessary basic skill and the S has the best backup camera ever, plus backup lines.

I think we're too lax on driving skills in the US. In many places, the road test requires little more than having a detectable pulse. Being able to safely and precisely back into a parking space should be a required skill for all drivers. If you can't do it, learn how. If you can't learn how, stay off the roads.

I visited a supercharger on my first weekend of ownership and backed into the spot on the first try with no trouble. It required no real skill: just put the virtual lines on the real lines and go. Instant perfect parking job. I can understand being hesitant to back up a big van or truck with no rear visibility (although you should still be able to if needed!) but there's not much excuse here.

Apologies if already mentioned. But two others should have boxed him/her in so the driver couldn't leave, and waiting for what day will be known and the "Tesla shame on you". It never ceases to amaze me how thoughtless people (Americans especially and I am one!) are.

Pulled in to the superchargers near Cape Cod this weekend and was dumbfounded by this parking job:

16560900858_a1715281c8_c.jpg
IMG_6472.JPG on Flickr

Taking up 3 superchargers!

Anyone else find any knuckleheaded parking at the superchargers or elsewhere from MS owners?

I park this way all the time, lol. However, it's usually at 3am and I never leave the car alone. This car looks empty tho, no excuses. He may have thought there were still empty spaces so nobody would be inconvenienced, but I've seen 3 Model Ss pull into a SC within 10 minutes of each other. That guy could have really ruined someone's day.

(Also, I charge at those Sagamore chargers all the time, wooo :D )

It's a somewhat d-bag thing to do, but let's face it, there are at least 2 open stalls, and as many as 4 (there are two not visible in this picture). As long as no one is kept waiting, is it really worth the mental energy to get all wound up about it?

Last edited:
I'll stay on the side of Wall of Shame and disagree with you, Nigel. As an example, when my father, at the age of 93, hit the parked police car, it was the last piece of evidence we his children needed to insist he cancel his driver's license and stop driving.

The state he was living in disagreed, and permitted him to keep driving. As far as I am concerned, they were taking the same attitude as you, which I'll characterize as mollycoddling. And wrong.

Well I'll agree with you based on what you're saying about a 93-year-old with maybe diminished faculties; however, do you know how old the Tesla driver was in the OP, or what their motivation was? I'm just saying how about giving the benefit of the doubt but try to educate.....I've seen people struggling backing up to superchargers because you have to get really close in some places and I've seen plenty of scratched up curbs where folks have backed up too far; so yup educate, but mob shaming, nah.

Call it mollycoddling if you like but I don't think we really need to go as far as taking away peoples' driving licences because they park badly. We can agree to disagree. Peace.

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies if already mentioned. But two others should have boxed him/her in so the driver couldn't leave, and waiting for what day will be known and the "Tesla shame on you".

And then do what exactly? Yell at them, slap them around? (Rhetorical questions)

- - - Updated - - -

It's a somewhat d-bag thing to do, but let's face it, there are at least 2 open stalls, and as many as 4 (there are two not visible in this picture). As long as no one is keep waiting, is it really worth the mental energy to get all wound up about it?

Agreed! (I hate just writing +1!)

And I promise not to spend any more mental energy on this myself. :)

Pulled in to the superchargers near Cape Cod this weekend and was dumbfounded by this parking job:

16560900858_a1715281c8_c.jpg
IMG_6472.JPG on Flickr

Taking up 3 superchargers!

Anyone else find any knuckleheaded parking at the superchargers or elsewhere from MS owners?

Sorry but this isn't much better than the douches at Harris Ranch that park their car within the lines and proceed to take off for an hour to fill their bellies and leave their fully charged car taking up the spot.

Do I pass the test? Me B 82.

11039826_10203907210936863_4697636212601963900_o.jpg