Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The worst supercharger park job I've ever seen. Any others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done this a couple of times, actually... but only at the Burlington, NC supercharger and in middle of the night. No real reason. No one is ever there when I'm there, so, doesn't really matter. I'd move if needed.

I have been the passenger in cars where the driver is completely unable to back up and place their car between pretty white lines - even with great side mirrors, backup camera, AND guide lines on the camera screen. And a nice wide space as a target. THREE tries! And still not right. Was everything I could do to keep from pushing them out of the driver's seat and just doing it for them. But given they were much larger than me & probably would have felt emasculated, I just kept my mouth shut and only mentally rolled my eyes.

Some people just aren't good at backing up.

Sorry my Blond wife borrowed my car yesterday should not happen again :wink:

Hysterical. But only in a very ironic way. I always assumed people could back a car up, but have been proven wrong a few times. For the record, the person I was talking about in my post above was NOT your wife, but a guy. A guy in his 40s.

And of course, I've found many guys can't pull into a space straight, either. It's all very sad. :) (A shot from my office parking lot last summer.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.30.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.30.37 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 943
Ok, I'll try to open a can of worms, that is slightly related to this topic. Why didn't Tesla put the charge port in the front of the car under the big T? Then, when automatic self parking is perfected, they can also include auto-opening the charge port, self parking right into the contact on the charging station, and bingo, you have all the benefits of inductive charging without the transmission loss. Sure there will be a small amount of alignment needed, perhaps even some up/down with the air suspension, but wouldn't all of this be less engineering/expensive than some futuristic robotic snake arm cable?

I just parked like this 12 times in a row. Actually the last time I decided to back into the far right slot (up against a curbed island) thinking that might offer better protection (Rapid City). So make that 11 times in a row. And not once did I see another Tesla during this trip, as expected.

Murdo, Albert Lea and Lusk: keeps you away from Motel traffic when you parallel park, so safer (4 Arches). Rapid City, Mitchell and Worthington: with 6 arches its just easier to swoop into the middle and hook up. Worthington does have a single nose-in but that plug is still a bit squirrely.

Cheyenne (amidst an RV Sales lot!) has 4 nose-in arches so doesn't count.

At the house I must always back in to charge, so parallel charging is pure pleasure when I'm in the boonies.
--

Hysterical. But only in a very ironic way. I always assumed people could back a car up, but have been proven wrong a few times.
Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 7.30.37 PM.png

And of course, I've found many guys can't pull into a space straight, either. It's all very sad. :) (A shot from my office parking lot last summer.)

That white beauty:love: looks even more beautiful juxtaposed with two ugly trucks

Just to answer a few comments on possible reasons this may have been necessary, the Sagamore SC has its own small lot separated from the Dunkin' Donuts lot so that rules out emergency bio break and protecting the car from other drivers. There is no room for a vehicle with a trailer to turn around there, and backing out of the area with a trailer would be near impossible, so rule out trailer blocking spots. The chargers there are labeled 1A 2A 3A... 4B, so the driver would not be preventing sharing and is already sharing with the end spot. Aside from the puddle the ground is clear, so unless the car were there for many hours, there was no snow covering the lines. There is no reason other than laziness for this performance.

There are still 2 available spots visible, and possibly 2 more not visible, so not likely to keep anybody from charging. From the nearest building (DDs), the stalls are all visible, so the owner may have been monitoring the site.

Judging by all the snow, it is probably pretty cold. I tried using a supercharger once below 30 degrees and the charging cable was so stiff and frozen, and I could not get a good connection with the car. I had to try 3 different super chargers. I had not thought about turning the car like that so the frozen cable can come in straighter. If there are tons of open spots, and the cable is frozen, that is actually a good solution. I'll have to remember that.

Please forgive me. I Have Sinned. I rode in an ICE car with my wife. who I thought was good at parking. Pictures don't lie.

If you're lucky, she won't know you threw her under the bus like this. Wonder what's for dinner tonight ... :)

I purposely parked across some lines in a crowded parking lot, because there was exactly ONE space (and narrow at that) between cars on either side who were parked across the lines. Imagine my chagrin to come back out to my car, all surrounding cars were gone, and there was my vehicle in all its glory, hogging up more than its fair share. Even worse, there was a nasty note on the car, telling me next time I'd be keyed. And there was no one to which to protest the unfairness of it all!

So I try to remember that when I see a car parked outside the lines. And I don't care how crowded a parking lot is anymore - I will NEVER park between two cars if it causes me to cross over the lines because of how they're parked. So. Embarrassing.

OP here. Wow, I did not expect to come back to this post and see such a huge response. I'm laughing/enjoying all of the speculation people are posting around why the original driver parked that way :) Honestly, I believe it was nothing more than pure laziness. I suspect the driver arrived when there were no other cars around and figured no others would show up (poor logic), so they took the easy way out of parking. I tried to keep my eye on the lot to see the driver go back to their car and catch their face of "oh ****, maybe I shouldn't have parked like this" ... but the snow mounds were too big to see the cars once i walked away, and by the time I got back the car was gone.

As for some of that speculation...
  • The driver was definitely not just avoiding the water/puddles... although hard to tell in the pictures, thecar was already pretty dirty and the majority of the highway and lots were already full of water from the snow melting.
  • If the driver was on an emergency bathroom break, the Dunkin Donuts right behind the super chargers actually had their bathrooms out of order... so the driver was definitely not in there!
  • The driver was definitely no where near the car when I arrived. Definitely not in it, and definitely not in Dunkin Donuts (I was the only one in there when I went in).

I purposely did not post the license plate... no need to pitch fork the driver. Although I think notifying Tesla to kindly ask the driver to not park that way again is valid. Here's another pic for your enjoyment, and I think what made it worse for me was that snow was already blocking one of the stalls... so why unnecessarily block other stalls? Just lazy.

16541198507_aa17e08520_c.jpg
IMG_6471.JPG
by gnychis, on Flickr

gnychis. Thanks for starting this posting. Its been fun.

Bonnie: My wife fixed a healthy chicken pot pie from scratch.:rolleyes: As Flip Wilson say. "The Devil made me do it" The reason I did it, she's always telling me I parked crooked. .....Guilty as charged.

Some SC can be Iced. Burlington, NC I guess it's a deal with the Mall. The Charlotte SC can be used by both sides in a 30 min park space for Walgreen. I did that the first time I was there, because there was an Ice car there in the SC side parked 3 spaces. He backed up for the 2 Tesla to park. I moved over for Photo
IMG_2758.JPG
P1060121.JPG
e

Last edited: