Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real dangers of owning a Model S. (P.S. it's not what you think)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seat sensor and being smart about shutting down also has a downside: I can't keep listening to the music from the car when I am cleaning the windscreen on it, because it shuts off the music as nobody is sitting on the seat.

Used my truck last summer..... (Took a year and a half to eat the whole tank of gas)..... Anyways, needed to do some towing. Got home, jumped out. Locked the doors... Never shut it off. Mind you, my truck spends it's lonely nights parked on the street......

Went in house, went to bed.... Got up, got in tesla, did my business, went home, then looked over and realized my Xterra was still running. 24 hours of running, with keys in the ignition, parked on the street in front of my house, and it was still their!!! Not stolen. Wondered how the heck that happened.... At least I know I live in good area. Still surprised it wasn't stolen.
On the bright side, the truck needed a good running. Stale gas. Though, even better yet, idling for 24 hours, barely ate any gas (for the size tank, needle barely moved. was right at half, and needle was just a fraction below that). I've measured my Xterra to consume about .25 gph after my mods. Factory stock and brand new it consumes .42gph.

I wanted to put a smoke detector or a combo smoke/CO2 detector in my garage after getting My Model S. With gas cars, that's one place you normally can't use them, but I figured with the (admittedly very small) risk of electrical fire not to mention the other paints and chemicals that one normally stores in the garage, it might not be a bad idea. Problem is, it gets cold in Canada in the winter, and I couldn't find a device that had an operating temperature range sufficiently wide. It seems most of these things are designed for traditional "indoor" use.

On the other hand, one of my big worries was that I was going to hit the Model S "Park" button trying to wash my windshield because on my last few cars, that is where the wiper stalk was. That's never happened, but

no worries, done that

put the S in park at highway speed, nothing happens

First time I was on earlier 6.0 software... the car kinda freaked a bit and pop up warning and I *think* it may even have started to attempt to apply the parking brake, but auto-deactivated the procedure before any pressure was applied... and I nearly shat wondering if I'd wrecked the brakes

Later... tried it again on 6.1 or .2 and it just does nothing now, maybe a pop up warning, but maybe not even that... I can't recall. But it is severely toned down, not nearly as frightening.

At low low speeds, not sure precisely the cut-off, but yes the parking brakes will clamp shut and stop when you press P.

...then there's this e-brake feature on the console.. haven't tried that yet.. at any speed. But I bet that would lock 'em up no matter what.

Finally had my own Tesla/ICE brain confusion. I was in southern Saskatchewan all last week and had rented a "full size" Camry. At least seven times after stopping, opening the door, and starting to get out, I remembered I had to turn something and take it with me. Then, the Camry's cruise control is at about 4 o'clock off the steering wheel; got used to that in fairly short order surprisingly.

The big problem (well, not a problem, really) was two days ago back in the Model S. I went to put the cruise control on and the car beeped at me -- it didn't like me attempting to put it into reverse while I was tooling along at 95kph. Thankfully it didn't follow my instructions. Much like my kids and wife... hmmmmmm...

@scottm
That functionality is documented in the manual. Above 5 mph, press and hold the Park button to engage the Emergency Brake. Similar to the Emergency Brake button on the screen. Both turn into a Park button below 5mph.
I have not tried the Emergency Brake, but I've read it's not as severe as Park, which would lock the rear wheels.

Fire/CO detector combo doesn't hurt, and you can't have that with an ICE. My condo is surrounded by other units, so I like to have a fire detector in most rooms/locations for an early warning.

I have both a CO detector and smoke detector in my garage. The garage contains one modern ICE car and a LEAF.

- The smoke detector was installed due to concern about a battery fire with the LEAF. Of course now I know this was unnecessary. The smoke detector goes off occasionally when I use the barbecue pit behind the house.
- The CO detector has never gone off. Don't quote me on this, but I understand that modern ICE vehicles produce very little CO - the catalytic converter converts it to CO2. I have heard stories that people who tried to poison themselves by routing exhaust from a modern ICE car into passenger compartment gave up after 2 hours and got back out of the car. (I wonder if that story is true, but sounds kinda plausible). The only reason for the CO detector was that it was bundled with a natural gas detector I installed for protection on a gas water heater out there to which I had installed additional gas piping.

Chevy has a recall to fix that for you! LOL. Now they others makes just need to get on board!

It truly is amazing that nobody has bothered with this change before. I get that without the Tesla, most cars require putting your keys in the ignition. I am ok with giving them a free pass. But if the car has push-button start, then it really should have a seat sensor. Even ignoring Tesla, think of how many absent-minded individuals who could do this without experiencing the convenience of the Tesla first!

My X5 does that. It puts the car in park if I forget and open the door to get out. Not only that, it can even more the gear shifter in the standard position if I press on the park button while it's in DS mode.

I mi am still counting the days until my 70D delivery but i would not dismiss every car maker out there as not having though of it.

The seat sensor and being smart about shutting down also has a downside: I can't keep listening to the music from the car when I am cleaning the windscreen on it, because it shuts off the music as nobody is sitting on the seat.

If you tap the break pedal after getting out from the seat, the car and radio will stay on for a while. Even if you close the door.

- - - Updated - - -

no worries, done that

put the S in park at highway speed, nothing happens

First time I was on earlier 6.0 software... the car kinda freaked a bit and pop up warning and I *think* it may even have started to attempt to apply the parking brake, but auto-deactivated the procedure before any pressure was applied... and I nearly shat wondering if I'd wrecked the brakes

Later... tried it again on 6.1 or .2 and it just does nothing now, maybe a pop up warning, but maybe not even that... I can't recall. But it is severely toned down, not nearly as frightening.

At low low speeds, not sure precisely the cut-off, but yes the parking brakes will clamp shut and stop when you press P.

...then there's this e-brake feature on the console.. haven't tried that yet.. at any speed. But I bet that would lock 'em up no matter what.

The P-brake will applay even at speeds if you just press and hold the button ... Also, it causes no damage to the brakes as the parking break is just another set of calipers on the rear wheels only. Now, who's gonna test E-brake slides? ;)