Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Questions (Avoid if newbies annoys you)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on forums since the 90s, so I'm well aware of the 'search feature' and I have used it, but keep coming up short on a few questions. I apologize to those who are better searchers than me, but feel free to drop appropriate links and I'll go read them.

Here are my questions if you want to help a new MSP owner love his car more:

1. I have kids who seem to track everything imaginable into the car from their shoes, are the tesla mud matts the best fit/finish, or should I get something else?

2. I mistakenly thought I'd just drive to an Tesla super charging station that I knew where it was and charge, but when I got there, it informed me I was newb to not have told the car I was going there first, so it could pre condition the battery. So to avoid this again, and to learn new super charger locations, whats the best way to let the car know I am going to one, or to even find one. Do you use the car Navigation, or the Tesla app on your phone? (which works best?)

3. Is there a better @home charging option than the one tesla offers? or is Tesla the king of charging their own cars at home? I need to order one before my tesla free supercharging runs out. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

4. I bought the Samsung T9 which in hindsight was probably over kill, but any videos on how to partition the 2 TB drive to best use the space? (I have seen the 1TB stuff, but not sure what to do, double everything?)
a. Where do I get other 'light shows' to add to the drive?

5. Any other 'must haves' I should get for my MSP as a first time EV owner?

Reactions: APotatoGod
On your touchscreen there is a lightning bolt charge symbol, touch it and all the chargers in the area will display. Click on a super chrgr and navigate to it.

Plastic weather tech floor mats are good for dirt and spills.
Genuinely appreciate it. Thank you!

I just went to the car to find the lighting bolt.. no such luck. I looked on both the main screen and the nav screen. Any screen shot of this?

IMG_4967.jpeg

IMG_4966.jpeg

Last edited:
Genuinely appreciate it. Thank you!

I just went to the car to find the lighting bolt.. no such luck. I looked on both the main screen and the nav screen. Any screen shot of this?

View attachment 1039175

View attachment 1039176
You need to touch the map screen once briefly and will get pop up options to change map view, see traffic, see details and the bolt for charge locations. See attached pic.

Regarding floor mats, I prefer the 3D Maxpider Elegant mats, but they also sell Kagu with more traditional weather resistant finish.

IMG_3433.jpeg

Reactions: ill_smo_q
I've been on forums since the 90s, so I'm well aware of the 'search feature' and I have used it, but keep coming up short on a few questions. I apologize to those who are better searchers than me, but feel free to drop appropriate links and I'll go read them.

Here are my questions if you want to help a new MSP owner love his car more:

1. I have kids who seem to track everything imaginable into the car from their shoes, are the tesla mud matts the best fit/finish, or should I get something else?

2. I mistakenly thought I'd just drive to an Tesla super charging station that I knew where it was and charge, but when I got there, it informed me I was newb to not have told the car I was going there first, so it could pre condition the battery. So to avoid this again, and to learn new super charger locations, whats the best way to let the car know I am going to one, or to even find one. Do you use the car Navigation, or the Tesla app on your phone? (which works best?)

3. Is there a better @home charging option than the one tesla offers? or is Tesla the king of charging their own cars at home? I need to order one before my tesla free supercharging runs out. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

4. I bought the Samsung T9 which in hindsight was probably over kill, but any videos on how to partition the 2 TB drive to best use the space? (I have seen the 1TB stuff, but not sure what to do, double everything?)
a. Where do I get other 'light shows' to add to the drive?

5. Any other 'must haves' I should get for my MSP as a first time EV owner?
1. Make the kids ride in the wife’s car.
2. The supercharger will pre-condition the battery, it just takes a little longer to charge.
3. Assuming you don’t have a model 3 a wall charger is the only way to go, pull power to where you want it vs behind the washer, dryer. Sounds like you’ve got enough power to charge at 240v/60a. I keep the mobile charger at my hangar but only use it when I’m on a overnight trip.
4. Just make sure you format it in the car, not on a pc.
5. Mud flaps, a drawer and shelf in the center console.

1. Make the kids ride in the wife’s car.
2. The supercharger will pre-condition the battery, it just takes a little longer to charge.
3. Assuming you don’t have a model 3 a wall charger is the only way to go, pull power to where you want it vs behind the washer, dryer. Sounds like you’ve got enough power to charge at 240v/60a. I keep the mobile charger at my hangar but only use it when I’m on a overnight trip.
4. Just make sure you format it in the car, not on a pc.
5. Mud flaps, a drawer and shelf in the center console.
1. In my case it was cheaper to nix her.. lol (Divorced) (we have 4 cars, but my sons claim the Tesla is the best of them all, which they pick every time)
2. Yeah, it basically told me I was going to wait longer for charging to complete because I didnt tell the car what my plans were.
3. I have the Model S plaid. I'm hoping to do the 240v 60a setup, will see what an electrician says, I maybe at max safe capacity, after doing a circuit breaker add-up * .80 = the 200 amp service I have in the garage. I will see.
4. Oh interesting, ok so let the CAR format the new drive, dont try it on my PC? I was seeing videos saying the opposite.
5. not sold on the mud flaps lol, BUT link to drawer and shelf please.. I'll get those ordered!

1. In my case it was cheaper to nix her.. lol (Divorced) (we have 4 cars, but my sons claim the Tesla is the best of them all, which they pick every time)
2. Yeah, it basically told me I was going to wait longer for charging to complete because I didnt tell the car what my plans were.
3. I have the Model S plaid. I'm hoping to do the 240v 60a setup, will see what an electrician says, I maybe at max safe capacity, after doing a circuit breaker add-up * .80 = the 200 amp service I have in the garage. I will see.
4. Oh interesting, ok so let the CAR format the new drive, dont try it on my PC? I was seeing videos saying the opposite.
5. not sold on the mud flaps lol, BUT link to drawer and shelf please.. I'll get those ordered!
Several types and models to choose from.

The mud flaps will save a lot of chips on the paint. Maybe Splash Guards sound better.

Amazon.com

Who ever heard of a car being sold new without these?

If your new to Tesla, some pucks too.

I know tesla has all those cameras, but from what I understand they dont 'record' or saving the recording unless you beep the horn? Should I get a dashcam too? Or do I need to setup the 'built in' dashcam to do some kind of continuous loop without having the beep? (and my understanding is the most you can record is a 10 minute period?), what if I see something happened to the car days later and I want to go back and look at footage, it wont be there unless I get a 3rd party dash cam, right ?

I know tesla has all those cameras, but from what I understand they dont 'record' or saving the recording unless you beep the horn? Should I get a dashcam too? Or do I need to setup the 'built in' dashcam to do some kind of continuous loop without having the beep? (and my understanding is the most you can record is a 10 minute period?), what if I see something happened to the car days later and I want to go back and look at footage, it wont be there unless I get a 3rd party dash cam, right ?
I understand items like an impact or air bag deployment save the video too.

Kind of weird to honk your horn AFTER a minor impact. Drag this item down to the task bar, you can tap it anytime you feel the need to save a recording.

IMG_2760.jpeg

A extra dashcam is a good idea for backup. It's amazing how many people found just the footage they needed missing from the recordings of their Tesla built-in dashcam.