Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any clue why range was reduced on MSP but not MSLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hunch: The lower top speed implies a different tire (like they’ve done with the M3 highland which also has a lower top speed than it did before) which is more efficient but rated for a lower max speed. That could well recover the drop in range that would otherwise occur. The plaid can’t play that trick, nor would buyers want it, and so stays with performance tires etc

My hunch: The lower top speed implies a different tire (like they’ve done with the M3 highland which also has a lower top speed than it did before) which is more efficient but rated for a lower max speed. That could well recover the drop in range that would otherwise occur. The plaid can’t play that trick, nor would buyers want it, and so stays with performance tires etc
The tires didn't change.

MSLRs are on hold until 2/13 due to EPA changes while MSPs aren't and are in customers hands today. Could the real answer to the topic of this thread be that there are EPA range reductions coming for the LR that aren't finalized yet?

@terranx , Not sure why I didn't notice this before, but I don't see the "Charge Depleting Range" or the "Certificates of Conformity" docs for the MSLR, just the MSP. Is this what we're waiting on the 2/13 hold for and does it make sense then that the only confirmed actual reports of '24s being released to actual customers are the MSPs? Even though Dublin says NO S's can be released until the 13th, it may be that it really only applies to the much more common MSLR since Dublin doesn't even have Plaids in inventory.

@terranx , Not sure why I didn't notice this before, but I don't see the "Charge Depleting Range" or the "Certificates of Conformity" docs for the MSLR, just the MSP. Is this what we're waiting on the 2/13 hold for and does it make sense then that the only confirmed actual reports of '24s being released to actual customers are the MSPs? Even though Dublin says NO S's can be released until the 13th, it may be that it really only applies to the much more common MSLR since Dublin doesn't even have Plaids in inventory.
Looks like that guy got banned.

But sure could be why the cars are on hold. Guess someone screwed up and didn't send the documents they needed to launch the new MY

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Looks like that guy got banned.

But sure could be why the cars are on hold. Guess someone screwed up and didn't send the documents they needed to launch the new MY

You're right. It appears to have been this post:

Which garnered 33 thumbs down and ONLY thumbs down. I wonder if it hit some sort of automatic trigger?

Which garnered 33 thumbs down and ONLY thumbs down. I wonder if it hit some sort of automatic trigger?
Who knows. On most forums mods usually don't like it when we speculate on why someone was banned, so I'll probably avoid that sorta thing especially while I'm still new

I always wondered why the Plaid vs LR had close EPA numbers. Just makes no sense having 350hp more and an additional motor yet one still gets close to the same range. Sure sounds like Tesla fudged the numbers and now the more realistic figures have come out.

I always wondered why the Plaid vs LR had close EPA numbers. Just makes no sense having 350hp more and an additional motor yet one still gets close to the same range. Sure sounds like Tesla fudged the numbers and now the more realistic figures have come out.

The performance and non performance S trims have always been within 10 to 15 miles of each other in both spec and real world. Easily achieved rated on my P85D often exceeding it by 5% or even a bit more.

I predict on the 13th that we're going to see the range also reduced on the LR.

The performance and non performance S trims have always been within 10 to 15 miles of each other in both spec and real world. Easily achieved rated on my P85D often exceeding it by 5% or even a bit more.
The spec is misleading because of the way it was done however it has now been corrected.

Although one could achieve almost the same range this would require the input of power on both vehicles to be the same during the entire distance covered. If one owns a Plaid, there is no way one will feather the input to give no more power than the non Plaid variant unless this was your goal to prove a point. In real world application of normal driving habits, the new figures represent a better estimate of what one should expect.

Well I'm back. Unfortunately they approved the username change request I made from when I thought it was a permaban. Oh well, I probably won't be spending too much time here anyway after the experience.

Definitely curious to see if we see the LR's range drop once that certificate of conformity comes in. Sure would fit better with the X LR and X Plaid having pretty close range estimates still.

Reactions: sorka
The spec is misleading because of the way it was done however it has now been corrected.

Although one could achieve almost the same range this would require the input of power on both vehicles to be the same during the entire distance covered. If one owns a Plaid, there is no way one will feather the input to give no more power than the non Plaid variant unless this was your goal to prove a point. In real world application of normal driving habits, the new figures represent a better estimate of what one should expect.

I'm an expert at feathering and coasting vs regen for small speed reductions on the freeway. Foe those that can't control themselves, there's always chill mode.

I predict on the 13th that we're going to see the range also reduced on the LR.
I wasn't even close on my '21 Plaid. On trips 300 miles was an extreme stretch vs rated 348 miles.

I wasn't even close on my '21 Plaid. On trips 300 miles was an extreme stretch vs rated 348 miles.
I take it you were on 21"s?

My first full battery of electrons on my new 23 MSP with 19" only yielded 210 miles.

Chill mode 80% freeway speeds, roughly 30 miles of vampire while the vehicle was getting PPF'd, but 35F/2C average outside.

I would like to see the EPA certification reworked to show a summer range and a seperate winter range.

210 out of 396 miles realized ain't bad, right? /s

Screenshot_20240209_094011_Chrome.jpg

I take it you were on 21"s?

My first full battery of electrons on my new 23 MSP with 19" only yielded 210 miles.

Chill mode 80% freeway speeds, roughly 30 miles of vampire while the vehicle was getting PPF'd, but 35F/2C average outside.

I would like to see the EPA certification reworked to show a summer range and a seperate winter range.

210 out of 396 miles realized ain't bad, right? /s

View attachment 1016874
Yeah, 21" wheels, in the summer.