Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering switching MSLR for MXP. Appreciate your thoughts, especially those that have gone MS -> MX.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neon001

May 12, 2019
Md
For background, one of the primary uses for my MSLR is taking the family (wife and three kids) to our vacation property. It's a 2.5 hr drive (145 miles), and now that they're getting a bit older (9, 12, and 14), my kids complain about taking "Dad's car", preferring my wife's Hyundai Palisade o_O. It's a decent enough car, but as most of you know, it's hard to go back to an ICE once you're accustomed to an EV. I've never wanted to drive around a large car daily, and the X used to be a little too expensive for me (especially the Plaid), but that's changed with the new pricing, and it does seem like the X would make family drives more enjoyable, so I'm really considering the switch. Some pros and cons as I see them:

Pros:
-More utility than MSLR. Will use car more often for family drives
-Ultra red
-3 years of free supercharging is a game changer for road trips (we end up taking my wife's car for longer drives since supercharging basically makes cost/mile the same as gasoline)
-Plaid speed ;) and carbon fiber interior accents (not a fan of the wood)
-Features added since refresh (tilting screen, improved head/taillights, slightly larger rear display, etc)
-Falcon wing doors are awesome and incredibly convenient
-One piece windshield/roof (also a con for sun blocking)
-Tow hitch is nice to have (but not critical)
-Motorized doors (also a con right now, from what I'm reading)

Cons:
-Prefer the styling of the MS. MX is a little egg shaped and frumpy for my tastes, but overall still an attractive vehicle
-Slightly less range
-Financially, not a great decision (I owe about $50k on the MSLR @ 1.74% APR, best I could do with a new loan is around 5% and used values for MSLR seem to be in the toilet)
-Prices could drop further once federal tax incentives go away, though TBH it's hard to imagine MXP dropping much further than $90k even with competition coming - most of which doesn't offer 3 rows of seating
-Would extend my Tesla ownership experience (overpromise/under deliver mentality, glacial software updates/feature rollouts, not providing promised or implied features, crappy service center experiences). I was not planning on buying another Tesla but the fact is the only things Audi/BMW have going for them over Tesla is exterior looks and interior material quality/fit finish (IMO)
-Lack of ultrasonic sensors makes door opening crap according to owners
-Pain and suffering of selling my MSLR privately (Tesla trade in offer was absurd at $52.3k). Any suggestions there? I'd just like to get low $60s and figure that's reasonable for a $85k car with 14k miles that's 19 months old.
-Some potentially nice features rumored to be just over the horizon (interior lighting, additional cameras?)
-(possibly) FWDs in a garage. I'm pretty sure my garage bays are wider than most of my neighbors at 8', but I'm not sure if this would be an issue, or if they would be an issue with garage door rails overhead

Agree? Disagree? Some subjectivity here but any insights you have are appreciated.

I did exactly the swap you are considering: MS 100D -> MXP
I think your pro/cons list is realistic and matches the one I had. But the choice is up to you.

Overall I like the much more spacier feeling from the X more then I thought in advance. Turned in my model S this week and had not driven it for a while. I felt a little bit cramped compared to the X.

Only thing in de cons list I 'disagree' with is de new features that may arrive. That will always be the case with Tesla. I you buy the newest version. 3 months later minor/bigger specs wil be changed (I just missed the matrix headlights update with mine). You have to learn to live with that ;-)

Reactions: Neon001
You signature shows a Cybertruck reservation, that might be more comfortable than a 7 seater X, but if you're thinking 6 seater, maybe not. Seems maybe you've already ordered the X regardless though, based on the same signature.

Regarding opening FWDs in your garage, I also want to point out that they should open fine. However, to be clear, I mean they should have enough vertical clearance regardless of your garage door's width, but this is based on my experience in a legacy X. In my experience with a small single bay (8' wide by 7' tall appears to bet the smallest standard single bay opening based on a quick search, and I'm sure mine was that size or smaller), the doors could open all the way without touching the rails. However, I could technically only open one FWD, because the other was too close to the wall to clear (with the charger mounted there, and maybe even if it hadn't been). So if you are actually parking in a completely standalone 8 ft bay without additional side clearance, you might have a different problem than they one you're anticipating.

Reactions: Neon001
Thanks for the tips. Yes, I did pull the trigger on the MX after s test drive the other day. Pretty excited about it. The cybertruck will come when it comes, I guess. I don't expect it for another year or more, honestly. Figured I'd order the MX now because I only have 3 more years until my oldest goes to college, so now it's really when I need the space.

I didn't realize the average garage door is 8' wide. I think my neighbors must be smaller than average because I'm pretty sure that's what mine is and for some reason it's definitely wider than theirs. I measured the height and it's 92" at the lowest points (the rails) - slightly higher in the middle. After looking at them in the MX in the showroom I'm pretty sure there's plenty of space. It's a double bay also, so yeah there's some room in the middle for them to swing through.

Really appreciate all the advice.

I'm saying with a 7' tall door opening in a single bay the door would not hit the rails when all the way open (assuming you've parked in the center, the thicker part of the doors might be able to hit them if you have flexibility in where you park). I originally worried about the opener itself, then I looked at how it connects to the garage door, and I think the opener is generally higher than the rails, possibly always. Otherwise the center might be more of a concern, due to the shape of the doors. I suppose 92" sounds plenty high, but I never measured my rails, I just assumed they're also pretty standard vs door opening size. Assuming there are still obstacle sensors, they probably won't open all the way anyway, in which case you can hold the up button and watch them while they open slowly prior to choosing to set them to always open fully, but that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't monitor them closely the first time(s) until you're confident in how they behave (and anytime you're somewhere new).

I did the very exact thing. I went from 2020 MSLR(I really love this car) and I traded in for the 2023 MXP. Both the X and S are very good in its own way. I do want the X for the utility part of it. Do people still worry about range these days? There are so many supercharge stations. I just did 1300 miles trip with MXP all the way to Toronto CA. The charging station is every where and convenience. Size-wise, it feels the X is a little bigger than S. I have reservation for Cybertruck. I probably won't get it, it is probably too big for my case. I am not really a pick-up truck person to begin with. Personally, I like the MSP more than the MXP, just because I like sedan. With the X, I can certainly do more with the car plus the height. All in all, I am very glad with my decision going with the MXP. Really, people still worry about range?

Why not replace the Palisade with the X? I think Palisades have been recalled for fire risks. I feel like this recall is same type of issue they did almost 10 years ago for their other cars (probably fuel line leak).
We've checked with the dealership and received whatever recall service the bulletin recommended, so I'm not that worried, but it's a suggestion I thought about. Primary reasons why we hadn't considered that as much is cost (we're comfortable, but two $100k cars is a bit rich for me), and we're not quite ready to go fully EV. There are some specific use cases that would make using an EV difficult, like visiting her parents. They live in a somewhat remote area and don't have a high voltage outlet where it would be easy to get to. Not impossible to use an EV since we could supercharge on the way home, but switching to two Teslas is more of a solution looking for a problem.
I did the very exact thing. ...Really, people still worry about range?
It's not that I'm worried about range, per se, but it is less than I have now. I make frequent trips from my home north of Baltimore to Ft. Belvoir - about 100 miles each way - for work. With the S I'm usually coming home at <15-20% SoC (leaving at 100%). The MXP should still make it, but it would be a closer call. I could probably also lighten my right foot, but that's a compromise I'm not willing to make.

bout 100 miles each way - for work. With the S I'm usually coming home at <15-20% SoC (leaving at 100%)

I am not trying to convince you or anything. My XP got 335 miles 100%. You indicated, you typically leave at 100% SoC on the S. With the 100miles each way and maybe few extra miles each way.. Say 250 miles round trip with the X. That will give you ~25% SoC with the X. I believe the MXLR has close to 350miles at 100%. BTW: Should your S have 40-50% SoC afterward? Based on the 2020 MSLR that I used to have. Is yours a 85/90D?