Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Perfect" 2020 Model X (for me)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Just day-dreaming--my preliminary ideas for an arguably better Model X (for me):
  1. Preferred Seating Options (in order of preference)
    • Best: two-seater (just 2 front seats with large, flat, cushioned cargo area)
    • Better: four-seater (w/2 removable rear seats)
    • Good: five-seater (w/3 removable rear seats)
  2. A No Falcon-Wing Doors Option
    • Two "suicide" rear doors (best), or
    • Two standard rear doors (better)
  3. Less Front Windshield Extension onto the Roof Option (if FWDs went away)

4. With Implementation of Numbers 2 & 3
    • Moon-Roof Option, and/or
    • Roof-Rack Option
  5. Apple CarPlay Option

6. Factory Power Opening/Closing Frunk Hood Option
Your ideas? Comments? Additional preferred options? Directions to other applicable discussions?

Are any of these possibilities, do you think?

Happy New Year.

January 23, 2021 Addendum:
  • Rumors of a 2021 "refresh" continue, so some of my desired changes may become moot.
  • I remain torn between the SR Models S and X. Both have features I like:
    Model S
    - still beautiful, after all these years
    - greater range
    - lighter/quicker
    - generous cargo space
    Model X
    - more cargo space
    - easier egress (due to self-presenting and brake-to-close door)
    - roomier interior
  • But each has features I do not like:
    Model S
    - not as easy to get into and out of
    - somewhat cramped cockpit (I'm 6'5")
    - no CarPlay
    Model X
    - unnecessary and gimmicky FWDs
    - huge, vulnerable, and expensive front windshield
    - no CarPlay
    - non-removable rear seats
  • So, like many people, I am just waiting to see what 2021 brings, refresh-wise.
  • I have a bad feeling that new Models S and X will come with horizontal (but I hope, not smaller) touch-screens and minimalistic dashes and steering columns (like Models Ǝ and Y.)

Last edited:
Numbers 2,5, and 6 rock! Sign me up!

Interesting. The OP by me is kinda whimsical. (Something fun to think about over the holidays.) But I figure that the M-X is the M-X; not gong to change for me. Maybe I want the M-Y and don't know it yet? But I do want the larger size, automatic opening and closing driver's door features, free super-charging, and greater visibility. Actually, I love the M-S; so beautiful. But it is way easier for me to get in and out of the M-X. Common refrain for some aging Boomers, I imagine. (And I'm 6' 5".)

I left out serious issues like claimed (by some) rough ride (would like that improved, if necessary), battery size and efficiency (is bigger always better?), and increased range (wouldn't it be great to get 400-500 miles?). But these (at least some of them) are features I figure may possibly improve with time (later in 2020?).

Not sure Number 1 will get much traction.....

Ha, ha! No pun intended, I'm sure.

Only need to seat 2, more room in the back and on the roof.. I think OP you really want a Tesla Utility Work Van! :D

Ha, ha. Right! You got me. I used to have a 1981 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. I really liked it, but of course it made NO sense (for me) whatsoever. (A money pit. Only 14 mpg around town. Drenched in annoying factory-add-on pollution control parts, so work in the engine compartment was difficult. No A/C [bad in the Central Valley of California in the summer]. No P/S [until I added factory P/S myself].) (Fine for someone living in the Australian Outback, maybe.) And a friend had a Honda Element. I thought that was an interesting and useful car with its suicide rear doors and fold-down rear seats to provide a generous storage area.

So yes, perhaps I want a Tesla Land Rover? (I think that is called a "Bollinger.")

I would like middle 2 seats (6 seater) same as front 2 seats. I like fwd, makes it easy for us older , less limber people to get in and out of vehicle. Also, all 4 tires the same so you can rotate.

Right--I forgot that the front and rear tires differ. So that, too.

As to the FWD, I just figure I, personally, won't have much need to use the rear doors. Maybe a no rear doors option--so a Tesla (UPS- or USPS-like) panel truck, like "Need" was hinting at. Ha, ha.

Seriously, we've seen rumors pf major make-overs for the (aging) M-S and M-X. Could that happen in 2020-21? Purchase timing may be critical for me. I want/need to buy around May 2020 (returning a leased Honda Clarity fuel cell car), but maybe I should try to delay?...

Thanks for your responses.

... Also, all 4 tires the same so you can rotate.
You can actually do that now without a need for Tesla.. just get a second set of fronts and install them in the rear... A number of forum members have done that. Don't remember if there's a limitation on if it works with the 20s or 22s... But, it has been done.