Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The P85 is now obsolete.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obsolete: no longer produced or used; out of date.

No longer produced: true
No longer used: false
Out of date: false, IMO though each may interpret

like iphone: no. New iPhone costs same as old one. New 85D costs 30k more than my P85

Tesla has done good job of pricing in updates gradually to preserve value in earlier cars without overpricing today's model. That's not easy.

Love my P85. Had a P85+ for about a month and 99% of the time hated the suspension. Made my wife nauseous. Took a friend when returning it and he even commented how much better ride my P85 was.
I could be coaxed down the line into a P85D maybe. AWD not needed but just the acceleration would be fun. Unfortunately if they are all the + suspension then no thanks. Just lost an upgrade customer. + Good for taking curves at speed but since that is minimal I'd rather the major portion of driving be comfortable.

Love my P85. Had a P85+ for about a month and 99% of the time hated the suspension. Made my wife nauseous. Took a friend when returning it and he even commented how much better ride my P85 was.
I could be coaxed down the line into a P85D maybe. AWD not needed but just the acceleration would be fun. Unfortunately if they are all the + suspension then no thanks. Just lost an upgrade customer. + Good for taking curves at speed but since that is minimal I'd rather the major portion of driving be comfortable.

I agree 100%. I tried out a + after having my P85 for a while, and decided the stiffer suspension wasn't for me. The slightly longer range of the D would be nice, and supposedly the seats are better. Would be nice to have suspension options...

We are all going to have our different opinions and rationale about this topic for sure, and that is 100% completely understandable. But then again, we are currently financially invested in our vehicles so our opinions are slightly biased.

I am specifically saying that to new potential Tesla buyers or the general public, the P85 has been rendered obsolete. This is especially true if someone today decides he wants to go out and purchase Tesla's performance car, which is now the P85D, and not the P85. The P85 will now only exist in the second hand market and can not be purchased as new, kind of like when a new 2014 HDTV is released and then pulled off the shelves and replaced with a newer/better model. This is exactly why HDTV's depreciate extremely quick. You can also look at it like the P85 is the iPhone 5S and the P85D is the 6. The Model S is great, but it has the same sentiment as most other technological gadgets out there, especially the way Elon goes about hyping the "newer, better" versions.

At the end of the day the P85 is a great car, and will always be- but it is disappointing it was retired so early on in it's life.

Just the other day a guy was walking out of Albertsons as my wife and I were loading groceries and he said "Nice car.. I love those. Is that the one that can drive itself?" I replied "No, my car was built right before the autopilot stuff was announced" and his reply- "Yep, I read that the newer cars are coming with those features" Awesome.. here I was sitting with my "brand new" P85, no license plate yet, and some guy referred to the self-driving cars as "newer" and in his mind I had the older one. This is a great example of how these features are being marketed and hyped making potential Tesla buyers and the general public thinking of the Model S like a smartphone- when new features come out, the previous version is "old".

I guess you'll have to sell the car and buy the P85D then. I have a very different understanding of the word obsolete. My car still works and could still find a buyer if I wanted to sell it. Sure I'll get less money now with the P85D and autopilot sensors out but it's not obsolete.

I have a very different understanding of the word obsolete. My car still works and could still find a buyer if I wanted to sell it.
There are some steam powered collector's cars that fit that definition. They're still obsolete though.

My P85 may be something of an odd duck now lacking the D's performance or auto-pilot, but in 5-7 years it'll still be worlds better than the comparable 5-7 year old cars on the market. So unless the entire used car market crashes badly, my P85 will still command a decent relative value. Particularly if you can pick up an old P85, pay $8k and drop in a new 85kwh battery.

I assume those of us with a P85 on order will still get our cars? Or will they throw in the up front parts for free? :wink:

I had thought about upgrading to the D but I have an AWD ICE that I am keeping. It received a new engine at 97K miles due to exploding spark plug being sucked into the engine.

Here's an article about that video where Musk states bigger battery in 2015:

Elon Musk Answers Tesla Owners' Questions in Oslo : EVWORLD.COM

Per the article, "But he also noted that it's possible the company will offer a larger capacity battery in 2015, which is just about the time the X will go into production." The statement references the same section of the video that I am, but again, don't want to go through the whole thing again to find the time stamp. Lots of great information in the video, too.

....Just the other day a guy was walking out of Albertsons as my wife and I were loading groceries and he said "Nice car.. I love those. Is that the one that can drive itself?" I replied "No, my car was built right before the autopilot stuff was announced" and his reply- "Yep, I read that the newer cars are coming with those features" Awesome.. here I was sitting with my "brand new" P85, no license plate yet, and some guy referred to the self-driving cars as "newer" and in his mind I had the older one.....
True story: Last night at a middle school science event I talked with two 11 yo girls who wanted to know if my 2011 Leaf was self-driving. They also wanted to know if the license law would be amended to allow an 11 yo to be piloted by a self driving car! A subsequent discussion between us "older drivers" and some of the "future drivers" revealed that most older people didn't think it would happen (can you imagine a 6 yo or a 2 yo being piloted?), while most "future drivers" felt it should happen. I think this is evidence that the "future" generation is already accustomed to rapid technological changes. Bottom line: Yup, your car today is "obsolete" to the next buyer because they can get something "better" new. Get used to it. The automobile is starting to follow the path of the computer.

So many drivers have not yet experienced the thrill of an S85 let alone a P85. With the price gap there are likely to be more drivers interested in buying and I suspect that demand is likely to increasingly outstrip supply for used cars.

@reddy the car is "obsolete" only if the future drivers can afford something better new. The vast majority of future drivers will be Model 3 targets based on price range. The used S market will slot in between new Model 3 and new Model S vehicles. At least that is what I suspect is TMC's plan. The gap between a $40K car and a $130K car is otherwise too big. It screams for TMC to introduce another model in between in the future. In the meantime I suspect that P85(+) vehicles will enjoy a niche to themselves.

So many drivers have not yet experienced the thrill of an S85 let alone a P85. With the price gap there are likely to be more drivers interested in buying and I suspect that demand is likely to increasingly outstrip supply for used cars.

@reddy the car is "obsolete" only if the future drivers can afford something better new. The vast majority of future drivers will be Model 3 targets based on price range. The used S market will slot in between new Model 3 and new Model S vehicles. At least that is what I suspect is TMC's plan. The gap between a $40K car and a $130K car is otherwise too big. It screams for TMC to introduce another model in between in the future. In the meantime I suspect that P85(+) vehicles will enjoy a niche to themselves.

Most drivers looking to buy a $70-90K used car certainly have experienced sub 5 second 0-60 acceleration and some likely have experienced sub 4 second acceleration as well.

With the P85D though they can pay more and get astounding performance. As the P85D will show p in the used market and as inventory cars 6 months from now the value of P85s should drop further. Already you can buy P85 and P85+ vehicles used for the mid to late 70s. A few at that price range were recently listed on cars.com.

I contacted my local Tesla mall showrooms and got a list of some inventory cars available.

Unbelievable, P85 and P85s decently optioned out with 735 - 2500 miles with $7300 - $17,000 discounts on them. I asked why such steep discounts and they said they "are clearing older inventory because the new P85D's are coming"

Spin it how you want it, the P85 is old news to Tesla... I am not gonna lie, when my lease is up I will drop this thing back off at their front door and order a P85D. It just sucks that I *JUST* leased this car last month and while I am happy, I would have easily sprung for the P85D if there was some type of timeframe announced as to when it was coming out. We all knew an AWD car was coming out, but not with Autopilot features, new seats, new this and that, etc. Oh well, still love the car..