Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading early model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to upgrade my early 2013 model s60 to a p85. The reason I'm doing this instead of buying a used p85 is because my 60 is my first car and I don't want to get rid of it. This is a crazy idea I'm cooking up in my head so bear with me here. I have been trying to learn how to reconfigure my car to fit an 85 kwh pack and also swap out drive unit for performance. I'm curious if I buy a used MCU and IC out of a wrecked p85 or off eBay if I could fit fit like to like pack and like performance drive unit into the old shell of my 60 with new mcu, software redeploy and have everything work. I know its a stretch but my service center won't do pack upgrades and I have access to a lift and any tool you could think of. This idea sounded a lot better in my head but I just want thoughts to see what you guys think of this idea.

Downgrade to .5 and you will be able to change gw config for performance, badging and pack id :)
Hi, thanks for downgrade guide.
I want to activate ccs in my car and I need to change config. I only found information about using gwxfer to upload/download config file. But where I can find this tool/script?
Or may be it should be another way to get config file without it? Can you advise, please.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for downgrade guide.
I want to activate ccs in my car and I need to change config. I only found information about using gwxfer to upload/download config file. But where I can find this tool/script?
Or may be it should be another way to get config file without it? Can you advise, please.
DM'd you

Add value "plcadaptertype 1"

Upvote 0
Ok update, performance drive unit flooded with coolant and otherwise un usable. Found that out after installing it unfortunately so I put back in the previous large induction unit. HV pack was a breeze as I have access to a lift. 85 battery in car and reads software version mismatch. Cant seem to open gateway on car to change config but software downgraded. Wondering if I should use toolbox 2.1 to try and change config (is that even possible?) and software redeploy. New battery does read miles to 0 but car cant charge or drive at the current moment as to be expected. Unsure what to do from here besides the possible toolbox rout for legacy model s and x vehicles.

Upvote 0
toolbox 2 needs a few thing before it can properly work. First you need to be on V11.0 software or lower and second you have to have the ability to access factory mode. I have no clue how to access factory mode yet. The reasoning for this is it unlocks the cars diag port. One idea i had is to downgrade software to 2022.10.8.5 and use a tinkla buddy (TINKLA - Tinkering with Tesla). and activate factory mode from there. I can recall doing this back on an earlier software version. From there i should be able to plug my laptop in and change config via toolbox to any supported battery.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
toolbox 2 needs a few thing before it can properly work. First you need to be on V11.0 software or lower and second you have to have the ability to access factory mode. I have no clue how to access factory mode yet. The reasoning for this is it unlocks the cars diag port. One idea i had is to downgrade software to 2022.10.8.5 and use a tinkla buddy (TINKLA - Tinkering with Tesla). and activate factory mode from there. I can recall doing this back on an earlier software version. From there i should be able to plug my laptop in and change config via toolbox to any supported battery.
Exactly... here is a link to great manual, how to downgrade if you're on newer SW than 2022.8.10.5. Nevertheless then the process of activating of the Factory mode would be a bit tricky. I have succeeded only once when my louvers needed a calibration trying several commands and I'm still not certainly sure, how to correctly proceed.

Upvote 0
The factory reset command in Toolbox 3 will place any car in Factory Mode upon reboot. It is a flaw in the command according to my contacts at Tesla but as of a month ago when I last did it, the command was still placing the car in Factory Mode.

Upvote 0
Yes. This still work and I mention exactly this in my guide.

I should probably make a guide on how to get into factory mode without Buddy.

Upvote 0
On Latest firmware you need only to open ports for use toolbox 2. Some people already do it with their software "skadi". But it sale on subscription.
So we could find how to open, if they could.

May be some developers presents at this thread? I'm only studying and my knowledges are weak to do this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0