Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse camera and HW upgrade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
My camera lens recently got smashed, and I ordered a new camera from China. Unfortunately, after plugging it in, I only get a flashing grey and black screen.The original camera number is 1061269-00-C, and I bought 1006773-00-F AA.Any ideas, please?Note: My smashed camera was still "working," but with very poor image quality, as the lens was destroyed.
Sorry for the many questions, but I have one more for now :)))
My vehicle is a Model S 2017 75D, MCU 1, and AP 2.0.I really want to get dashcam functionality and am considering an MCU 2 upgrade. What do you think? With this upgrade, do they also change AP2 to HW3? I'm asking because Tesla support answers are very general and not specific.
Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,Gary

We changed to MC2 (tesla did for free, as they promised some time ago). Anyway, you get
a faster display and a whole new EMMC (emmc? mmc? Anyway it is a memory chip
using a faster electrical interface than usb and the new emmc is a really good idea, IMO).
Screen is faster!
I recommend MC2.

As to your other questions... I have no idea, sorry, though ordering a camera from anyone but Tesla???
Oh my.

Upvote 0
We changed to MC2 (tesla did for free, as they promised some time ago). Anyway, you get
a faster display and a whole new EMMC (emmc? mmc? Anyway it is a memory chip
using a faster electrical interface than usb and the new emmc is a really good idea, IMO).
Screen is faster!
I recommend MC2.

As to your other questions... I have no idea, sorry, though ordering a camera from anyone but Tesla???
Oh my.
Did you get mcu2 for free?

Upvote 0
...My vehicle is a Model S 2017 75D, MCU 1, and AP 2.0.I really want to get dashcam functionality and am considering an MCU 2 upgrade. What do you think? With this upgrade, do they also change AP2 to HW3?
With the MCU2 upgrade you will get a new MCU2 and a new Instrument Cluster. Unless things changed, I'm fairly sure they will update the AP processor to HW3 and replace 7 cameras to the HW3 (better resolution, improved low light). They might even replace the rear camera, but can't remember if that is included. This is an impressive upgrade for the cost. Oh, and you will get the dashcam features.

There is an extra fee ($500) to include FM radio, as the old radio is incompatible. Many don't bother, but it might be important to you. AM is a goner.

Reactions: Amr Wahbi
Upvote 0
Yes, we did. Free.
I also wonder how you managed to get the MCU2 upgrade for free, I ordered and bought my mid 2017 model s with all the bells and whistles, best sound system, etc, including FSD, but they do not offer a free mcu upgrade, they have quoted me over $2000 for a MCU1 to mcu2 upgrade, pluss additional $700 extra for the fm/dab tuner if I want to retain the tuner function in the new mcu2.
-Soooo, what's the secret recipe?

Upvote 0
With the MCU2 upgrade you will get a new MCU2 and a new Instrument Cluster. Unless things changed, I'm fairly sure they will update the AP processor to HW3 and replace 7 cameras to the HW3 (better resolution, improved low light). They might even replace the rear camera, but can't remember if that is included. This is an impressive upgrade for the cost. Oh, and you will get the dashcam features.

There is an extra fee ($500) to include FM radio, as the old radio is incompatible. Many don't bother, but it might be important to you. AM is a goner.
I've upgraded my 2018 Model S 100D to HW3.0 plus added a "FM Radio" . I also swapped out the side camera repeaters for the latest ones with signals (part numbers: 1495866-22-C, 1495867-22-C). These upgrades have been totally worth the investment for me.

Now, I'm eyeing the FSD available for $4000 since I have EAP already, this cost includes one free upgrade of my choice. However, I'm on the fence about its value. Considering the investment, I'm looking for suggestions on which upgrade to pick that would make this purchase more beneficial.

What would be the best use of the free upgrade option to maximize the value of this investment?

Appreciate your insights!

Upvote 0
Hi,
My camera lens recently got smashed, and I ordered a new camera from China. Unfortunately, after plugging it in, I only get a flashing grey and black screen.The original camera number is 1061269-00-C, and I bought 1006773-00-F AA.Any ideas, please?Note: My smashed camera was still "working," but with very poor image quality, as the lens was destroyed.
Sorry for the many questions, but I have one more for now :)))
My vehicle is a Model S 2017 75D, MCU 1, and AP 2.0.I really want to get dashcam functionality and am considering an MCU 2 upgrade. What do you think? With this upgrade, do they also change AP2 to HW3? I'm asking because Tesla support answers are very general and not specific.
Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,Gary
Did you ever find out the camera problem?
Need to switch my own rear view camera.

Upvote 0